Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Enduro wrote: »
    I use a high end Columbia jacket that is absolutely outstanding. Its combination of being a full-on apline grade waterproof shell, and having unbelieveably good breathability make it a true jem.

Which one is that if you don't mind me asking? On the lookout for something with very good breathability. I have a few jackets, but if the temperature is anything above cold, I'm likely to get as wet sweating as I am from anything less than a downpour!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Outside wrote: »
    Speaking of gear and ultra running, perhaps more gear related really, what is the minimum amount of gear you should wear at a race? In a recent race (Portumna Saturday) it was a little warm (I was melting) and at 50k was having some nipple chafing issues (forgot to tape) so ended up finishing race with no shirt at the risk of looking like a vein b**trd.

Finished the race and bent double over the finish line the race director came over and first and foremost gave me a huge congrats and well done but politely reminded me that in actual fact you could technically be DQ'd for not wearing a top? I think Seb mentioned some AIM's rule? Genuinely haven't heard about that before but is this common? Number was on shorts and always visible.
    Presumably, it's one of these two IAAF rules:
    143.1 - In all events, athletes must wear clothing which is clean, and designed and worn so as not to be objectionable
    143.7 - Every athlete shall be provided with two bibs which, during the competition, shall be worn visibly on the breast and back

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Outside wrote: »
    Speaking of gear and ultra running, perhaps more gear related really, what is the minimum amount of gear you should wear at a race? In a recent race (Portumna Saturday) it was a little warm (I was melting) and at 50k was having some nipple chafing issues (forgot to tape) so ended up finishing race with no shirt at the risk of looking like a vein b**trd.

Finished the race and bent double over the finish line the race director came over and first and foremost gave me a huge congrats and well done but politely reminded me that in actual fact you could technically be DQ'd for not wearing a top? I think Seb mentioned some AIM's rule? Genuinely haven't heard about that before but is this common? Number was on shorts and always visible.

I had a look and could not find the AIMS rules anywhere.

The IAAF rules (http://www.iaaf.org/about-iaaf/documents/rules-regulations#rules) don't mention wearing shirts or not.

Interestingly enough, the USATF rules (http://www.usatf.org/usatf/files/f1/f101f17f-1b8b-4f1b-ac9c-d9022155aa94.pdf) specifically allow running topless in hot conditions in road races: (Rule 143, under Athletic Attire):
    2. In hot weather, an athlete competing in a long distance road run may compete without a top shirt. This ruling will be made by the Referee with the approval of the Games Committee.

In any case, even if it were against the rules I would expect the officials to first give a warning before disqualifying a competitor for such a minor infringement. Obviously Ray never had any intentions of dq-ing you.

Well done, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

lgk wrote: »
    Which one is that if you don't mind me asking? On the lookout for something with very good breathability. I have a few jackets, but if the temperature is anything above cold, I'm likely to get as wet sweating as I am from anything less than a downpour!

Can't find the exact match, but this is almost identical. Not sure if it's available directly in Ireland at the moment, but I'm sure there is a way of getting it (Worth checking in any of the good outdoor shops that stock Columbia). It really does do everything that the marketing says... far far more breathable than goretex with at least the same level of waterproofness in my experience. A much better "feel" to the jacket as well, as it feels softer and more cloth like than the harder more crinkly feel you generally get in gore-tex jackets. It's also lighter than most shells I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Rob Krar won the Western States 100 in 2nd fastest ever time. His second ultra season!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

buck65 wrote: »
    Rob Krar won the Western States 100 in 2nd fastest ever time. His second ultra season!

He's some runner. Some incredible performances in the last two years. There's great footage of him crossing the American river in the WS and he's practically going all out swimming.

His account of his record of the double crossing of the Grand Canyon rim is well worth a read.

http://www.irunfar.com/2013/05/rob-krars-grand-canyon-r2r2r-fkt-report.html

Seems like a cool dude. Think he ran competively while at high school. Times of 3.44 for 1500 and a 65 min half marathon.

A very very high standard of race this year indeed. When a runner like Jez Bragg is 11th, you know the top 10 are damn good! Rob Krar is certainly going places. Definitely a race on the "must do" list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Anyone doin Tralee 100k ....mite go down and have a look ..

Anyone doin Tralee 100k ....mite go down and have a look ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Following the recent "sea2summit" with conor74 (Rossbeigh - Carrauntohil) does anyone fancy a 50ish km night run along the blackwater way on Friday week? Plan is to start at the river in killavullen or ballyhooly and try to get to summit of Mushera for sunrise, catchy title for this outing is "river deep - mountain high ultra" having some technology gremlins at the minute but will try to post a route map/gps. 4 takers so far. Think of it as a fat-ass outing, no t-shirts and not a course measurment in sight a bit like a mallow10/waterford viking hybrid...off road. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

b.harte wrote: »
    Following the recent "sea2summit" with conor74 (Rossbeigh - Carrauntohil) does anyone fancy a 50ish km night run along the blackwater way on Friday week? Plan is to start at the river in killavullen or ballyhooly and try to get to summit of Mushera for sunrise, catchy title for this outing is "river deep - mountain high ultra" having some technology gremlins at the minute but will try to post a route map/gps. 4 takers so far. Think of it as a fat-ass outing, no t-shirts and not a course measurment in sight a bit like a mallow10/waterford viking hybrid...off road. :-)

What's the medal like at least??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

FYI Guys - There's a one third ultra on in Clontarf tomorrow ;)

Couple of nice videos.

Western States http://vimeo.com/99862471

And nice on the road video with Rickey Gates.

http://youtu.be/zMlrvNqxd8E

The Hardrock 100 starts in about an hour.

It’s hyped as the most competitive field ever assembled. Jornet, Olson, Chaigneau, Chorier, Jones etc.

100 miles with over 10,000 metres of climbing. Beast of a race. Course record is 23 hours 23 mins.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    The Hardrock 100 starts in about an hour.

It’s hyped as the most competitive field ever assembled. Jornet, Olson, Chaigneau, Chorier, Jones etc.

100 miles with over 10,000 metres of climbing. Beast of a race. Course record is 23 hours 23 mins.
    Jornet wiinin at mo..40+ miles at 8+ hrs....carriyn poles afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

And Jornet wins it, breaking the course record by more than 40 minutes.....:eek:

inigo wrote: »
    And Jornet wins it, breaking the course record by more than 40 minutes.....:eek:

And apparently could have run another 40 minutes faster if he had to :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

The 2014 24 Hour IAU World Championships have been cancelled and the Championships will shift to being contested every two years.

Not much explanation given for the decision - http://www.iau-ultramarathon.org/
    The decision was taken at that meeting to hold the World Championships for 100km and 24 Hours in alternating years. This will now commence in 2016. For 2014, the 100km World Championships are being held in Doha, Qatar in November this year and the next 24 Hour World Championships being held in Turin, Italy in April 2015.

Badwater was held this past week, after going for a walk in that muggy heat we are having in Dublin today I can safely say that this race is definitely not on the bucket list!

Badwater: Running on the Sun video

The 2014 24 Hour IAU World Championships have been cancelled and the Championships will shift to being contested every two years.

Not much explanation given for the decision - http://www.iau-ultramarathon.org/

The explanation is simple enough... I'm sure you're familiar enough with the levels of competance that are associated with some sports governing bodies. Ultrarunning certainly isn't immune to such things.

Really bad news from an Irish POV. Our 24 hour teams are looking quite good at the moment!

Enduro wrote: »
    The explanation is simple enough... I'm sure you're familiar enough with the levels of competance that are associated with some sports governing bodies. Ultrarunning certainly isn't immune to such things.

Really bad news from an Irish POV. Our 24 hour teams are looking quite good at the moment!

Were you due to take part yourself? I see you ran last year and in 2010.

• Advertisement

Badwater was held this past week]
    Alice odonnel just finished in 44 hrs...well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Alice odonnel just finished in 44 hrs...well done

Alice? Alice? Who the f****..... :p
    It's Aoife O'Donnell

menoscemo wrote: »
    Alice? Alice? Who the f****..... :p
    It's Aoife O'Donnell

Spell checker was in German

Were you due to take part yourself? I see you ran last year and in 2010.

I was targetting it alright (I think I've been to 5 24 hour WCs). But quite a few of our good runners have been building their season towards it, so its a real smack in the face for them.

Well done ankers99 on winning. Conn 100

Well done ankers99 on winning. Conn 100
    15:45

15:45

Or 15:48. In any case, that's an astonishing performance!
    Brilliant running!

Or 15:48. In any case, that's an astonishing performance!
    Brilliant running!
    And 10 seconds,,:)

Hey all,

I'm two weeks out from my 100k (CCC), just looking for a bit of advice on how long my long run should be this weekend.

I made up a plan months ago and have stuck to it pretty well. But over the last couple of weeks I've decided to take a lot of mileage out (I was supposed to be hitting 90mpw but knocked that back to 60mpw) as I've been tired/picking up niggles/havent been able to recover properly.

Weekend mileage for the last couple of months coming up to the race has been:
    18 and 14
    24 and 9
    22 and 20
    39 and 34 (stone mad)
    13 and 12 (recovery wk)
    22 and 0
    31 and 0
    28 and 4

On the plan I've 30m and 14m for this weekend. I'm thinking thats far too much two weeks out from the race. But dont know what to drop it back to. I'll probably do 27-28ish miles mon-fri.

Any ideas on the long run(s)?

• Advertisement

On the plan I've 30m and 14m for this weekend. I'm thinking thats far too much two weeks out from the race. But dont know what to drop it back to. I'll probably do 27-28ish miles mon-fri.

30/14 seems a bit excessive 2 weeks before a race, alright. Then again, I do know a couple of lunatics ultra runners who wouldn't bat an eyelid over a 30/14 weekend at any time.

However, the answer to how much you should do is the same as always, namely: it depends.

It depends on how quickly you usually recover, how you're feeling, how much else is going on in your life, and so on.

I tend to take it very conservatively the last couple of weeks before a big race. Two weeks out from Belfast I only did 8/12+ miles on the weekend, though the Sunday run was mostly on a mountain trail with plenty of climbing.

My personal view is that with 2 weeks left the training is done and dusted.

Advertisement