Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Factory Restricted bikes don't come with a cert. The log book indicates the power so should suffice. This is how it works for me on a Factory Restricted Bandit.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paul75

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Factory Restricted bikes don't come with a cert. The log book indicates the power so should suffice. This is how it works for me on a Factory Restricted Bandit.
    Thanks RosieJoe

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭i8mancs

Hi i am 36 and lookin to get back on a bike, I have to sit the theory test the IBT. Is it possible to get a Xl 1000cc Varadero with a restrictor kit or does this exceed the power to weight ratio? Also if this is not possible is there a list of bikes that are above 125cc that can be used with restrictors fitted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

i8mancs wrote: »
    Hi i am 36 and lookin to get back on a bike, I have to sit the theory test the IBT. Is it possible to get a Xl 1000cc Varadero with a restrictor kit or does this exceed the power to weight ratio? Also if this is not possible is there a list of bikes that are above 125cc that can be used with restrictors fitted?

any bike can be restricted no matter the cc, the bigger question is should you restrict it? as big 1000cc+ bikes do tend to not taking to restriction too well, i have however ridden 1250cc restricted bikes that were very nice bikes, my former bike was a CBR600 and it was a pain to ride restricted as it tended to flatten out just when you needed power the most, but maybe that was down to the restriction method that was used..

but i am sure there are loads out there with big bikes that are restricted and run fine. if you are happy riding something heavy thats restricted then i say go find one similar thats restricted and test it out and see if you can ride it. if not then maybe its best to just sit out the 2 years or so on a smaller bike then get yourself a nice present when the 2 years are up...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tybalt

Can your first bike licence be an A licence as long as you are old enough? Or do you have to have a M or an A1 first?

Also, would anyone think that a Suzuki Burgman AN250 would be ok for a complete beginner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Tybalt wrote: »
    Can your first bike licence be an A licence as long as you are old enough? Or do you have to have a M or an A1 first?

Also, would anyone think that a Suzuki Burgman AN250 would be ok for a complete beginner?
    Yep, you can go straight for the A license.

Hi Everybody after passing the theory test and completing the IBT am I right in saying that you cannot apply to do the test for the full license for at least 6 months and if this is the case is there any circumstances were you can sit the test earlier if say you needed the bike for work ie. company vechicle? thanks in advance

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Hi Everybody after passing the theory test and completing the IBT am I right in saying that you cannot apply to do the test for the full license for at least 6 months and if this is the case is there any circumstances were you can sit the test earlier if say you needed the bike for work ie. company vechicle? thanks in advance

You can apply after 4 months from the date of issue of your learner permit, because it takes at least 8 weeks to get a test. The test date has to be at least 6 calender months from the date of issue of your learner permit, so if you get an earlier date, just postpone it until after the timeframe.

Insurance cost would be expensive on a Varadero 1000 .
    You can get a factory restricted V Strom 650 which is a lower grouping for insurance, and it is same type of bike as the varadero.

You can apply after 4 months from the date of issue of your learner permit, because it takes at least 8 weeks to get a test. The test date has to be at least 6 calender months from the date of issue of your learner permit, so if you get an earlier date, just postpone it until after the timeframe.

Thanks LookbehindYou talk about leaving things to the last minute, its not looking good to have all this completed before January, what way would I be fixed if I dont pass my test before these new license changes come into effect?

• Advertisement

Insurance cost would be expensive on a Varadero 1000 .
    You can get a factory restricted V Strom 650 which is a lower grouping for insurance, and it is same type of bike as the varadero.

Only came across these after putting up post about Varadero, nice bike, any idea what be ball park insurance cost would be for 36 year old mid life crisis and all that on a learner permit?

Thanks LookbehindYou talk about leaving things to the last minute, its not looking good to have all this completed before January, what way would I be fixed if I dont pass my test before these new license changes come into effect?
    You already have your Learner permit, so it should not affect you.

Only came across these after putting up post about Varadero, nice bike, any idea what be ball park insurance cost would be for 36 year old mid life crisis and all that on a learner permit?

Factory restricted V Strom 650 is a group 5 or 6 bike, so should cost less than 500 euro for you.

(The vehicle reg book will have the power stated as 25 kw on a factory restricted bike) so no need for cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Should be noted that the theory test has now risen to €45 and the full test has risen to €85. Makes me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Should be noted that the theory test has now risen to €45 and the full test has risen to €85. Makes me sick.

What?? :eek: That's fukin' ridiculous!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

cocoshovel wrote: »

One more reason not to fail the first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Yep, you can go straight for the A license.

....just a heads-up: ...if you do your test on the Burgman, you'll get a Restricted licence (i.e. for automatics only..........), and you won't be able to ride a 'geared' bike.

The reverse does not apply.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....oh, and, another thing.........is there anywhere online I can look up (Irish-) relevant insurance groupings for bikes ?

Long story short: the S.O. has a full licence even longer than I have, and been riding bikes longer as well. A few years ago, Life (a.k.a kids :rolleyes: ) took over, and she sold the bike. Now she wants to go back on the bike(s), and............here 16 years NCB is..........gone, and she has to start over.

She won't ride a small bike, end of. I have managed to ascertain that a middleweight, even restricted bike, would do the job (F650 comes to mind, and it's what she had before), but short of ringing the insurer every second day, it's turning into a pain to pick a 'bike and find out IF she can afford the insurance on any given bike. Fr'instance, I'd have thought a mid 90's GPz500 twin wouldn't be outrageous....found a few nice ones........but, apparently, ins co's don't agree with me : Group 8 ? :eek: Found an old reasonable 94 GSX600F...same story. FFS, these are nigh-on 20yr old bikes. The two bikes above are only 1 group lower than my GSX-R 750.....

So, any ideas where I could just look up a list of 'Group 5 or 6 bikes', and I can thumb through it ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ride Safe

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....oh, and, another thing.........is there anywhere online I can look up (Irish-) relevant insurance groupings for bikes ?

Long story short: the S.O. has a full licence even longer than I have, and been riding bikes longer as well. A few years ago, Life (a.k.a kids :rolleyes: ) took over, and she sold the bike. Now she wants to go back on the bike(s), and............here 16 years NCB is..........gone, and she has to start over.

She won't ride a small bike, end of. I have managed to ascertain that a middleweight, even restricted bike, would do the job (F650 comes to mind, and it's what she had before), but short of ringing the insurer every second day, it's turning into a pain to pick a 'bike and find out IF she can afford the insurance on any given bike. Fr'instance, I'd have thought a mid 90's GPz500 twin wouldn't be outrageous....found a few nice ones........but, apparently, ins co's don't agree with me : Group 8 ? :eek: Found an old reasonable 94 GSX600F...same story. FFS, these are nigh-on 20yr old bikes. The two bikes above are only 1 group lower than my GSX-R 750.....

So, any ideas where I could just look up a list of 'Group 5 or 6 bikes', and I can thumb through it ?

To get a 500 or 600cc bike in group 5 or 6 it would have to be factory restricted.

Example:
    Bandit GSF600 = Group 9
    Bandit GSF600 (25-KW) = Group 5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭Wossack

best bet really is to plug stuff yourself into an online calc - believe Liberty have one, maybe others

believe all the companies use their own individual grading system, that we dont get to see. CN had more grades then Quinn, for example (4-5 years ago). And as such, what one company believe to be a missile, others consider a wheelbarrow. Bit of a mess unfort...

Back in the day
    NSR125r with Aon? No chance - group 9 (irrc)
    NSR with quinn? Sure, group 2. Lower insruance group then its lawnmower powered replacement - cbr125r (group 3)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

I returned to biking a couple of years ago after 17 years off bikes and had to go through training, theory test then more pre-test training and then got my test first time last March. I think the IBT is a good idea as the level of riding skill can only increase and therefore the number of accidents should lessen and then of course insurance premiums should fall! So we will all benefit in the long run.

BTW I bought a dvd from the states a couple of years ago and still have a look at it every so often as its the only specific learning course for larger bikes but it really applies to all bikes and a lot of it is put up by the man himself (Jerry Paladino) on youtube, here's a sample; http://youtu.be/sf7XiXiPx1s

Best of luck to all doing the training and preparing for exams, it'll be well worth the effort to get that A/A1 on your licence!

• Hi all

I received my theory test certificate today for a motorbike. I have a full driving licence already and have had since 2004. I'm wondering if I need to still get an eye test and a medical report for this learners permit even though I already have a full licence ? It just seems stupid if I have to so wanted to ask in here first.

Cheers lads

I dont believe so, no

used to be that you'd go to your local motor tax office, and present both your full, and the certificate of competency. They've take them both off you, give you a slip that you can drive on, and they'd combine them and post it out to you after a few days.

if i remember correctly..! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

Quick licence question,

I did my theory test when I was 16 for a moped back in May 2006 it was a car and bike one back then I think. Also have done my full B licence.

Found my old provisional and it says I have a A1 provisional. I couldn't get a A Provisional as I was only 16 when I was issued the licence.

Looking to get back into bikes and want something over 125cc so will need a A licence.

Found this on the first page
    "A Theory Test cert issued prior to 21st October 2006 in respect of the category B (car) entitles applicants to apply for first Learner permit in respect of the categories A, A1, M and W also, provided that the theory cert was presented to the Motor Tax Office within two years of the date of issue and you have kept your car licence in date."

Does this mean I won't have to sit another theory test for my A provisional as I did it back when A and B where the same test?

username?! wrote: »
    Quick licence question,

I did my theory test when I was 16 for a moped back in May 2006 it was a car and bike one back then I think. Also have done my full B licence.

Found my old provisional and it says I have a A1 provisional. I couldn't get a A Provisional as I was only 16 when I was issued the licence.

Looking to get back into bikes and want something over 125cc so will need a A licence.

Found this on the first page
    "A Theory Test cert issued prior to 21st October 2006 in respect of the category B (car) entitles applicants to apply for first Learner permit in respect of the categories A, A1, M and W also, provided that the theory cert was presented to the Motor Tax Office within two years of the date of issue and you have kept your car licence in date."

Does this mean I won't have to sit another theory test for my A provisional as I did it back when A and B where the same test?
    Anyone?

It certainly sounds that way. Difficult one to get across, but sounds like you tick all the boxes for the italic's part you posted

rang the tax office, said I won't have to sit another tests but i'l "probably" fall under the new bike laws and will need to conduct a IBT.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm looking at getting a Scooter just for general commuting around Cork City on the cheap.

I presume I would need to do the IBT? I figure I may as well ask in case I can get away with not. :)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Hello all,
    Has anybody used this place for the IBT? http://www.motorcycleskills.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79&Itemid=90 How did you find them?

Also can you recommend any other IBT trainers covering the midlands?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Hello all,
    Has anybody used this place for the IBT? http://www.motorcycleskills.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79&Itemid=90 How did you find them?

Also can you recommend any other IBT trainers covering the midlands?

Smiler is your man! PM on the way. God forbid someone thinks I'm advertising or drumming up business for someone. :D

Advertisement