Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Critique my workout/diet please.

• 13-05-2008 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭

I have a review this Friday at my gym, but this is what I’ve been doing since 7th of April, I intended doing the boards summer fitness,
    but a family bereavement on Good Friday meant I started a week late.

It’s been brilliant, I’ve really enjoyed it, havent taken measurements, but am impressed at what I see in the mirror.

Tell us what you think, I’m 34, 5ft 10” male, weigh 72kgs(11 and a quarter stone), my body fat analysis in April said I was down to 17.6%.

I don’t do much cardio, I should but this workout takes up much of my time. This week I’ve set the treadmill to an incline of 12 and walked for 20 mins and the sprinted for 5 mins, I think that has burned a bit of fat.

My goals are to burn that troublesome layer of fat that most 25+ males have and to increase muscle density, especially traps, shoulders and pecs.

Assisted chins:
    4 sets of 12 reps - 33kgs

Military press:
    4 sets of 12 reps - 17.5kgs - sometime the first set I’ll do 20 kgs and the last 15 kgs

Barbell chest press:
    4 sets of 12 reps - 10kgs - I’ve worked up to 20kgs, 15. 15, 10kgs

Leg extension:
    4 sets of 12 reps - 15kgs.

Leg press:
    4sets of 20 reps - 70kgs

Cable pushdown -
    4 sets of 12 reps - 13kgs

Bicep curls:
    4 sets of 12 reps
    I’ve shaken this one up, I was asked to dumbbell curls at 10kg, 8, 6, 4, but I’ve progressed up in weight and have used the easy barbell, regular barbell and then back to dumbbell. Last Sunday I did, 22.5kg, 17.kg, 15kg and 8kg (this one on dumbbell).

Breakfast:

2 egg omelette, splash of milk, glass of water, sometimes orange juice.

Mid morning:

1 Yoplait natural yoghurt mixed with some porridge.

Lunch:

1 small tin of tuna, handful or sweet corn and extra light mayo.
    Sometimes ham and cheese toasted brown bread and coffee.

Mid Afternoon.

Apple, banana, handful or peanunts(not the kp salted type)

Evening meal

Parsnips, red and yellow peppers, green beans and one of the following

Tuna steak
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Spaghetti(whole-wheat) Bolognaise(lean mince with can of tomato, not dolmio)

Supper

Same as evening meal, I make enough for two meals.

I’ve just in the last few days given up sugar, I used to take a half in my tea and I have about 4 cups a day. I don’t eat crisps or burgers, I like Lindt 85% cocoa chocolate, I’m using that as a daily treat.
    But biscuits are my downfall, I just flipping love them, but I have to cut them out completely.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 tadhg1

i'll presume you to this programme 3-4 times per week

but how often do you do this programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Assisted chins:
    4 sets of 12 reps - 33kgs

Military press:
    4 sets of 12 reps - 17.5kgs - sometime the first set I’ll do 20 kgs and the last 15 kgs

Barbell chest press:
    4 sets of 12 reps - 10kgs - I’ve worked up to 20kgs, 15. 15, 10kgs

Leg extension:
    4 sets of 12 reps - 15kgs.

Leg press:
    4sets of 20 reps - 70kgs

Cable pushdown -
    4 sets of 12 reps - 13kgs

Bicep curls:
    4 sets of 12 reps

Swop the leg press for squats 4x10-12

and swop the leg extensions for lunges or bulgarian squats 4x10-12

Try stick to a certain rep range rather then set number of reps, using the same weight. i.e. aim for ten to twelve reps on most so for the first sets 12 will be easy but as you tire you might do 11 next set then ten on the following, etc

Also I'd change the exercise order to
    Squat
    bench
    chins
    military press
    bulgarians/lunges
    pushdowns
    curls

as this will put the most demanding exercises first

i don't want to knock you mate, because ur training hard and seeing some results which is great! but i have one or two suggestions

the programme isn't very well balanced, for ever exercise you do, you should also exercise the apposing muscle equaly. for example you do 4x12 chest press which mainly works the pecs but you dont have any exercise (like a seated row) to work the apposing muscles (traps,romboids ect.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

tadhg1 wrote: »
    the programme isn't very well balanced, for ever exercise you do, you should also exercise the apposing muscle equaly. for example you do 4x12 chest press which mainly works the pecs but you dont have any exercise (like a seated row) to work the apposing muscles (traps,romboids ect.)

True there is little back work, but I have now and thrown in some shrugs and I'll ask my instructor about working this in in the review.

i'll presume you to this programme 3-4 times per week

but how often do you do this programme?

3 times a week, you're right.

Should have said as well, some RAM post workout and creatine before.

• Advertisement

try this its more balanced, im goin to split ur programme , P 1 will be "pecs, delts, triceps" P 2 will be "traps, lats, biceps"

Programme 1

chest press (3x10 for them all)
    incline chest press
    decline chest press
    shoulder press
    frontal raise
    tricep pulldown/ extension
    ab crunches (3x20)

Programme 2

seated row (3x10 for all of them)
    low row/pulley
    bent over row
    lat pull down
    chin ups (on lat pull down machine just use under hand grip)
    bicep curls
    Back EXtentions (3x20)

for the legs id suggest cardio 40mins 3 times per week eg (jogging,cycling, sprints) and maybe 2 weeks out of eight to some weight training

weekly brake down

mon tue wed thurs fri sat sun
    cardio P1 cardio P2 carido rest rest

any question just ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

leg press is fine if your deadlifting too, if not id squat,
    Leg extensions? throw em away..:)

Cable pushdown, heavy benching and overhead pressing will work your triceps well enough to make cable pushdowns unnecessary.

Bicep curls...swop them for chinups.

example:
    bench press
    wide grip pullups/assisted pullups or pulldown machine
    chin ups (biceps)
    squats or (deadlift and leg press)
    overhead press (i prefer dumbells)

2 good sets of ten is more than enough for you.
    chins..as many as you can till you can tying weights to yourself :)
    1 or 2 heavy sets of 20 for squats

id train the above twice a week only, and only heavy deadlift once.
    keep it simple basic and heavy and youll do well.
    max time in gym lifting = 45min:)

try this its more balanced, im goin to split ur programme , P 1 will be "pecs, delts, triceps" P 2 will be "traps, lats, biceps"

Programme 1

incline chest press
    decline chest press
    shoulder press
    frontal raise
    ab crunches (3x20)

Programme 2

low row/pulley
    bent over row
    lat pull down
    bicep curls
    Back EXtentions (3x20)

for the legs id suggest cardio 40mins 3 times per week eg (jogging,cycling, sprints) and maybe 2 weeks out of eight to some weight training

weekly brake down

any question just ask

sorry mate but that whole program is a disaster from start to finish..

good site for everything workout related here...
    http://www.t-nation.com/archives.do?y=2008

SorGan wrote: »
    leg press is fine if your deadlifting too, if not id squat,

I've been thinking about returning to squats.

sorry mate but that whole program is a from start to finish..

good site for everything workout related here...
    http://www.t-nation.com/archives.do?y=2008

ur entiteled to ur opinion i supposed, but ive worked in the fitness industry for 6 years, i work as a personal trainer, and im in damn good shape myself. in my opinion that prograramme is perfect for a male beginner who is looking to loss some bodyfat and put on some muscle.

the programe has structure, is balance, the rep and set range are correct of hypertrophy and the progromme adheres to the principals of fitness.

Please explain why u think its a "disaster"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Leg extensions? throw em away..:)

Just wondering what's wrong with LE? I've heard people speak badly about them on other places as well.

I tried them for the first time last friday, and up around and above my upper knee feel great, I am/was planning to keep doing them.

leg extention aren't bad there just limited their wots known as an isolation exercise (they isolate the quads), in comparisin to squats (compound exercise) which also focus on the quads, squats work the glutes, the Iliacus-psoas, and the calfs. you can even factor in core stabity and balance.

to sume up leg extions are not bad, there a useful exercise but they are limited in comparisin to other quad exercises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

The diet looks OK...please tell me that you designed the program yourself and it wasn't done by someone that actually gets paid to design programs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

ur entiteled to ur opinion i supposed, but ive worked in the fitness industry for 6 years, i work as a personal trainer, and im in damn good shape myself. in my opinion that prograramme is perfect for a male beginner who is looking to loss some bodyfat and put on some muscle.

the programe has structure, is balance, the rep and set range are correct of hypertrophy and the progromme adheres to the principals of fitness.

AFAIK omitting the big lower body compound movements such as squats and deadlifts limits your anabolic potential because these exercises increase testosterone production in the body. To use a well worn cliche "they give you the most bang for your buck"

IMO Amazingemmet's programme is the way to go.

Al_Fernz wrote: »
    AFAIK omitting the big lower body compound movements such as squats and deadlifts limits your anabolic potential because these exercises increase testosterone production in the body. To use a well worn cliche "they give you the most bang for your buck"

IMO Amazingemmet's programme is the way to go.

i agree that adding in some lower body compound movements would incease ur "anabolic rate" that's why i suggested weight training on the lower body 2 weeks out of 8. but this individual wants to lose body fat (and gain some size)and cardio is the most effective form of exercise for losing body fat. if i was to over prescribe resistance training of the legs this guys legs would be knackered and he would not be able to do 3 cardio sessions (which mainly use the legs) per week. again i didn't want to leave resistance training uot all together thats why i suggested "weight training of the legs" 2 weeks out of 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

i agree that adding in some lower body compound movements would incease ur "anabolic rate" that's why i suggested weight training on the lower body 2 weeks out of 8. but this individual wants to lose body fat (and gain some size)and cardio is the most effective form of exercise for losing body fat. if i was to over prescribe resistance training of the legs this guys legs would be knackered and he would not be able to do 3 cardio sessions (which mainly use the legs) per week. again i didn't want to leave resistance training uot all together thats why i suggested "weight training of the legs" 2 weeks out of 8.

Resistance training is more effective at burning fat than cardio is.

Cardio may burn more calories while you're actually in the gym doing it but when you stop so does the calorie burning. The beauty of resistance training is that you actually continue to burn calories in the 24-48 hour period AFTER you’ve been in the gym too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

i agree that adding in some lower body compound movements would incease ur "anabolic rate"

Allowing for greater hypertrophy and increased muscle mass. Shouldn't this lead to a higher BMR? Since, the OP is building muscle shouldn't that mean that, diet permitting they would lose bodyfat to compensate? Now that sounds far more conjuicive to the OP's goals
    That's why i suggested weight training on the lower body 2 weeks out of 8

Seems very haphazard and more likely to confuse the OP. IMO your perscribed routine is way too imbalanced.
    cardio is the most effective form of exercise for losing body fat.

Can you qualify this statement please?

if i was to over prescribe resistance training of the legs this guys legs would be knackered and he would not be able to do 3 cardio sessions (which mainly use the legs) per week. again i didn't want to leave resistance training uot all together thats why i suggested "weight training of the legs" 2 weeks out of 8.

Of course the OP would be tired, but that the whole point of training. You train then adapt and thats what makes us stronger and fitter.

Leaving that aside it would always be possible for the OP to have a rest day if their legs were too sore.

IMO disregarding the benefits of regularly performing heavy compound exercises is not the most efficient way for the OP to achieve their goal.

The diet looks OK...please tell me that you designed the program yourself and it wasn't done by someone that actually gets paid to design programs?

The instructor in my gym designed it, I'm guessing this is a loaded question and you dont rate it.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

Tadhg1 i privite messages you. would you mind having a look.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Programme 1

incline chest press
    decline chest press
    shoulder press
    frontal raise
    ab crunches (3x20)

Programme 2

low row/pulley
    bent over row
    lat pull down
    bicep curls
    Back EXtentions (3x20)

weekly brake down

any question just ask

Eh that program is no where near balanced. Not even close

• Advertisement

perfect? i cannot agree less.
    not to belittle any exp you have but..

zero lower body work is imo a major oversight.
    incline chest press
    decline chest press
    its overkill for a beginner to hit the chest in these 3 exercises, and as many argue unnecessary for most lifters.
    frontal raise
    im assuming by this you mean a front delt exercise...front delts get hit very hard by benching alone..
    low row/pulley
    bent over row
    bent over row would suffice here alone.as the other two work (pretty much) the same muscle
    bicep curls
    both working the same muscle
    not needed with all the benching and shoulder press.

:) hey you asked :)

a slightly chubby friend of mine lost 5 stone last year by just running on a treadmill twice a week, and squat,bench press,pulldown.
    he kept it simple and thought about what he could keep up long term and is doing well.:)

FunkZ wrote: »
    Just wondering what's wrong with LE? I've heard people speak badly about them on other places as well.

I tried them for the first time last friday, and up around and above my upper knee feel great, I am/was planning to keep doing them.

there are simply far superior exercises that you will see much more benefit from that leg ext.
    i sumo deadlift and leg press myself, ive never been comfortable squatting,:)

Malteaser! wrote: »
    Cardio may burn more calories while you're actually in the gym doing it
    yes cardio burns more cals

but when you stop so does the calorie burning.
    i dont not where you read that but its completely un true

The beauty of resistance training is that you actually continue to burn
    calories in the 24-48 hour period AFTER you’ve been in the gym too.

cardio like resistance training also creates the "after burn effect", u could argue that resistance training will increase your lean mass and there for increase you bmr which is true but at the end of the day if you do an intense run for an hour you will burn more cals during and as a result of the "atfer burn effect" than if you had have done an hour of equaly intense resistance training session (also including cals burned during and as a result of the "atfer burn effect")

yes cardio burns more cals

i dont not where you read that but its completely un true

cardio like resistance training also creates the "after burn effect", u could argue that resistance training will increase your lean mass and there for increase you bmr which is true but at the end of the day if you do an intense run for an hour you will burn more cals during and as a result of the "atfer burn effect" than if you had have done an hour of equaly intense resistance training session (also including cals burned during and as a result of the "atfer burn effect")

The 'after burn effect' DOES NOT happen with steady state low intensity cardio (which is what you seem to be suggesting?). It does happen to an extent with HIIT, but still to a lesser extent than with resistance training. If you're suggesting someone goes on a long hard run (as opposed to a long relatively easy one) then say hello to catabolism and a lowered BMR.

It'd be nice if you could back up your claims with some figures, they're some pretty bold and unusual claims that you're making

When it comes down to it, this guy's looking to improve his appearance. Ignoring TEMPORARY quick fixes and looking at the long term picture, what is going to be the most effective method? I would suggest it is starting resistance training now. Training his legs with a lot of devotion since this will increase his overall muscle mass and improve his appearance AND help him to shift any remaining fat later on since his BMR is going to be higher.

Dieting and then attempting to build muscle is a disastrous idea imo. When trying to build muscle you need a kcal surpluses, unless you manage to strike the perfect balance you're going to gain some fat. Which will probably need to be dieted off later. So why bother dieting, bulking and dieting when better results could be achieved through just concentrating on building some muscle, doing a small amount of LIT cardio to improve CV conditions and keep BF% in check (since it's gonna be hard to recover from HIIT if training legs hard) and THEN once all the ground work is laid down... start to diet.
    At this stage the diet should be even more successful than it would have been initially since his body will be a veritable fat burning machine. He'll burn more kcals while at rest AND while training.

I still can't believe you suggested only training legs 2 out of 8 weeks. Heavy squats are the most anabolic thing you can do in the gym. And if you're doing them for high reps they can be incredibly metabolicaly demanding too.

Seems very haphazard and more likely to confuse the OP. IMO your perscribed routine is way too imbalanced.

so when and how should i prescribe cardio, imo the op doesnt come across as wanting to train like a body builder, or look like a body builder (im not saying theres amything wrong with body building i do it myself) so unless he says that he want to bodybuild spacificly, i prescribe 3 cardio session per week and 2 weeks out of 8 or 1 of 4 or 4 weeks out of 12ect to to some resistance on the legs as not to totaly neglect this aspect of training

"imbalanced" "haphazard"???? lol if you look at the programme like an over view of 4 weeks the op would be doing 9 cardio session 11 resistance session, 4 of of the 11 resistance session on the chest shoulder and triceps and 4 of the 11 resistance session on the traps,lats, biceps. 9 cardio session which odds are is ging to be running, jogging, or cycling which mainly uses the legs so his legs are getting a good work out aswell im not neglect the legs in amy way but just to be safe i prescribe 3 resistance training session for the legs, so 25% of his session involving the leg are resistance focused.

seems balanced to me!

Of course the OP would be tired, but that the whole point of training. You train then adapt and thats what makes us stronger and fitter.
    Leaving that aside it would always be possible for the OP to have a rest day if their legs were too sore.

i don't want to over train the guy and if you look a the programme i gave him 48hrs rest befor he would train his legs again

IMO disregarding the benefits of regularly performing heavy compound exercises is not the most efficient way for the OP to achieve their goal.

imo 1 to 4 ratio for resistance training to cardio traing involving the legs is sutable for this individual

so when and how should i prescribe cardio, imo the op doesnt come across as wanting to train like a body builder, or look like a body builder (im not saying theres amything wrong with body building i do it myself) so unless he says that he want to bodybuild spacificly, i prescribe 3 cardio session per week and 2 weeks out of 8 or 1 of 4 or 4 weeks out of 12ect to to some resistance on the legs as not to totaly neglect this aspect of training

Just on this point, do you really think that just by doing resistance training you're training like a bodybuilder or that you're actually gonna end up looking like one??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

"imbalanced" "haphazard"???? lol if you look at the programme like an over view of 4 weeks the op would be doing 9 cardio session 11 resistance session, 4 of of the 11 resistance session on the chest shoulder and triceps and 4 of the 11 resistance session on the traps,lats, biceps. 9 cardio session which odds are is ging to be running, jogging, or cycling which mainly uses the legs so his legs are getting a good work out aswell im not neglect the legs in amy way but just to be safe i prescribe 3 resistance training session for the legs, so 25% of his session involving the leg are resistance focused.

seems balanced to me!

Unless he is COMPLETEY untrained, running, jogging cycling etc will do absolutely fcuk all for his leg development.

It is completely unbalanced because the upper body is trained far more often than the lower. For starters.

i don't want to over train the guy and if you look a the programme i gave him 48hrs rest befor he would train his legs again

Overtraining? Do you even know what that is???
    imo 1 to 4 ratio for resistance training to cardio traing involving the legs is sutable for this individual

Based on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Just on this point, do you really think that just by doing resistance training you're training like a bodybuilder or that you're actually gonna end up looking like one??

Good point actually. I meant to say something on that...

If someone's looking to build muscle and improve their appearance (like the OP), as opposed to someone training for pure strength or sporting performance, they SHOULD be training like a bodybuilder. Ya know... the guys with a goal of building more muscle and reducing bodyfat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 donstavros

Looks like you need to start putting on weight.... bulk up on red meat and pints. This can then be easily turned into muscle with a few visits to the gym.

Be a man.

Advertisement