Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

keane2097 wrote: »
    I just got that in a 2-for-1 sale on Audible. I'd be interested to hear how you find it in the end.

i love Jemisin, but i gave this one up a third of the way in

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Oops

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

I confess to the same. Unusual as normally I'll slog on through to the end but put this down one day and never picked up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Same regarding Jemisin, I enjoyed the first few books but then started to struggle and want her to just get on with it, got very hard to pick the book back up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Guess I'm the only person that thinks Jemisin while being a bit different is a bit dull

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

smacl wrote: »
    Had it on advance order and downloaded it to the Kindle over the weekend. Currently halfway through something else but thinking of swapping over. Loved the first two books in the trilogy, third was a dead duck but recent novella "To be taught if fortunate" was excellent imho.

Same as re. the quality of of her books thus far, so curious what you think of this new one then if you get around to it :) Shame Chambers never wanted to simply continue the adventures of the first book's cast, they have easily been its best and most interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

About 30% through David Gemmells - Legend. A cracking read, really enjoying it. Had never heard of it before for some reason until someone mentioned previously.

The back story to the writing of Legend is cool.

"When David Gemmell complained about back pain in the 1970s, doctors ran tests and said he might have cancer. So they performed a biopsy. Gemmell, who was in his 20s, took sick leave from his job at a British newspaper and waited for an answer. He grew so restless that he started to write a fantasy novel about a mountain fortress besieged by a barbarian horde.

He wrote everything but the ending, choosing to tie the fortress's fate to his own. If he had cancer, it would fall. If he didn't, it would survive."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

* 'Artificial Condition' by Martha Wells, the second in her Murderbot series. I thought this was better than the first (which I enjoyed), having a tighter plot and not having to rely on introducing Murderbot. Delves a bit more into background and pushes the character forward, all in a nice short book.

* 'Blood Upon the Sand' by Bradley P. Beaulieu, book two of six in his 'The Song of the Shattered Sands'. Much like the first, a big part of the appeal for me was having a different setting, namely basing it out of a Middle Eastern influenced world. It's not particularly rich in terms of writing or plot, but the pacing was quite good - a fair bit happened, which isn't often the case for middle installments in series. Got through it fairly swiftly for a 600+ book.

* 'A Closed and Common Orbit' by Becky Chambers, the second in her 'Wayfarers' series. Thanks to some here, I went in with lower expectations so was pleased with the book. It's not as good as the first - focusing just on two characters means there's not the same richness of cultures or viewpoints and the Jane backstory is a bit drawn out. What won me over is Chambers optimistic viewpoint, in spite of the hardships the characters suffer. It's just a nice read, which is a good thing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The sequel to Under Heaven is just as good as the first, River of Stars, best things I've read in ages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The Midnight Library. Nominally SFF. terrible
    No idea why it's a bestseller.
    Here's a hint, dude, writing "quantum physics" 20 times with no other expansion doesn't make you sound smart
    Also needs a visit to menwritingwomen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Now just finished Memories of Ice and House of Chains next.

Fantastic stuff so far!

OK, now finished House of Chains and Midnight Tides. Halfway through the Malazan series.

Great reads and glad I started them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

OK, now finished House of Chains and Midnight Tides. Halfway through the Malazan series.

Great reads and glad I started them!!

Takes awhile eh

Loved whiskey jack

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I just got that in a 2-for-1 sale on Audible. I'd be interested to hear how you find it in the end.

Re: The City We Became by Jeimisin

I finished it, it was written well , but the story and characters were both pretty weak. Not a lot of excitement in it. Basically, I enjoyed the NYC aspects of it reminding me of where I grew up, but the story just wasn't that great.

Now reading her short story collection "How Long 'til Black Future Month."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Igotadose wrote: »
    Re: The City We Became by Jeimisin..."

Loved all her other books but found this one a total turkey. Gave it up around the half way mark, just turgid.

Just finished up with Legend. Brilliant book and would make an epic film version. Not sure about the ending though.
    I think id have much preferred if the fortress fell in glorious defeat. They were getting hammered and then the other army decided they has something more important to take care off
    . Anyone deep breath and onto House of Chains - Malazan book 4.

Glebee wrote: »
    Just finished up with Legend. Brilliant book and would make an epic film version. Not sure about the ending though.
    I think id have much preferred if the fortress fell in glorious defeat. They were getting hammered and then the other army decided they has something more important to take care off
    . Anyone deep breath and onto House of Chains - Malazan book 4.
    You probably know this but theres 10 other books in the Drenai saga after Legend:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/40522-the-drenai-saga

Was flicking through my ebook library on my phone today at work bored out of my mind, ended up reading the first 50 pages of Lord of the Rings, completely hooked now, I dont remember any of it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Reading Will Wright's fantasy: Elder Empire series. So far enjoying them.

Thargor wrote: »
    You probably know this but theres 10 other books in the Drenai saga after Legend:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/40522-the-drenai-saga

Not too sure if i want to get into another long saga although i really liked Gemmels style. To much other stuff to read. Druss the Legends story will do me for the time being. 10% through House of Chains and its excellent so far. Seems so different from the previous book, in thats its more of a straight forward story and really is a page turner so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The opening of House of Chains is just :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

fenris wrote: »
    The back story to the writing of Legend is cool.

"When David Gemmell complained about back pain in the 1970s, doctors ran tests and said he might have cancer. So they performed a biopsy. Gemmell, who was in his 20s, took sick leave from his job at a British newspaper and waited for an answer. He grew so restless that he started to write a fantasy novel about a mountain fortress besieged by a barbarian horde.

He wrote everything but the ending, choosing to tie the fortress's fate to his own. If he had cancer, it would fall. If he didn't, it would survive."

Jez, how long did he have to wait for the results of the biopsy?

He was ab!e to write most of a fantasy novel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Glebee wrote: »
    Not too sure if i want to get into another long saga although i really liked Gemmels style. To much other stuff to read. Druss the Legends story will do me for the time being. 10% through House of Chains and its excellent so far. Seems so different from the previous book, in thats its more of a straight forward story and really is a page turner so far.

wish i could go back and reread all of gemmells work fresh, a writer of utterly amazing characters

The opening of House of Chains is just :eek:

You are on the rollercoaster now!

Witness!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm still on the web serial vibe, reading a very light but entertaining comedy sf "Deeper Darker". The first few chapters are setting the scene, but once it picks up it's pretty good. The author is half way through book 3, I'm nearly finished book 1. If you're looking for something light, check it out.

btw most web serial hosts allow you to set dark background and tweak the fonts to give you an almost Kindle-like experience.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

"The Expert System's Champion" by Adrian Tchaikovsky, a novella that's a sequel to "The Expert System's Brother" and, madly, the second book the guy published in January. I very much liked the world in this and Adrian's fierce imagination for biology and evolution. It's a strong sequel (with room for more) and doesn't outstay its welcome. The mystery might not quite be as good as the first, now that we know more of the world, but a worthy instalment.

"Empire of Grass" by Tad Williams, the second book in his "The Last Kings of Osten Ard" trilogy. Really liked this even though it's quite slow and uses a fair few familiar tropes. The difference is Williams knows how to right, how to do strong world building and good characters. Lots of different characters, all in their own plots, and I liked spending time with them all which is a very difficult accomplishment when you're rotating over ten view points. Only downside is that the final book has been pushed out to 2022.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Read the expert system's brother after the post here and really enjoyed it. Onto the sequel now

https://www.amazon.com/Cradle-Foundation-Collected-Book-ebook/dp/B076G8DVN6/

The first 3 Cradle books are free for a few days if you want to try them, they're like literary crack though so expect to want the other 5 straight after.

Looking at his blog it seems he took a huge break from things but is starting back into book 9 this month sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

A Darkness Forged in Fire by Chris Evans
    "An enjoyable mix between ‘high-epic’ and military ‘Napoleon war-style fantasy‘, a kind of mixed version of ‘the Black Company’ and the ‘Dwarves’.

Finished this a while back and enjoyed it.Not top notch IMO but worth a read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Thargor wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.com/Cradle-Foundation-Collected-Book-ebook/dp/B076G8DVN6/

The first 3 Cradle books are free for a few days if you want to try them, they're like literary crack though so expect to want the other 5 straight after.

Looking at his blog it seems he took a huge break from things but is starting back into book 9 this month sometime.

Amazon UK link - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076G8DVN6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_6S9RGECJ863XM3Z11KRN

Advertisement