Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish movies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Into the West

A Harvey Weinstein production

Tír na nÓg was never the same after it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

One I think may be called About My Father were James Caan comes back to Ireland to learn about his father, flashback and its Aidan Quinn.

There was another pretty entertaining one where an assistant to an American presidential candidate is sent back to Ireland to trace his roots. She's played by an annoying American comedian lady with black hair, it's set in a seaside town and there's a love interest that's played by the Irish fella from braveheart.

Jesus Christ, what a post, I sound like my mother...

Its called the Matchmaker.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Matchmaker_(1997_film)

Terrible phish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I remember a film when I was finishing up school. It's called Accelerator. It's about a race between Dublin and Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Moondance, one of the young lads from Into The West trying to get his end away with a German hippy girl in Connemara. Awful shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I remember a film when I was finishing up school. It's called Accelerator. It's about a race between Dublin and Belfast.

I think I was actually an extra in that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Circle of Friends
    Tara Road
    Echoes

All based on Maeve Binchy books

Strength And Honour. So bad it's nearly good. Vinnie Jones traveller accent has to be heard to be believed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

A Disney Production, The Fighting Prince of Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Takes them a week and a half and two of them ride by a bonfire? The border patrol shoot one and another gets a punishment beating? Terrible terrible movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

KaneToad wrote: »

I went Down
    “I always go down”
    Class movie, one of my favourites. Was very hard to find a DVD copy of it, but I go one somewhere....... then some bastard borrowed it and never gave it back, but I can’t remember who.
    Love the scenes with the gun, that’s a six shooter that, 50 pound a bullet. And the balaclava....... sorry, I could only get one cool one!
    E mac wrote: »
    Reminds me of Adam and Paul kinda forgotten by me anyway...
    agh me hand, agh me face, agh me foot!
    iamstop wrote: »

Francie Brady, the Butcher Boy! Taking a sh1t on Mrs Nugents good carpet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,878 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I remember vaguely a movie about two Dublin flatmates, early 20s and a covered-up murder. No idea what it was called.

Also, Cowboys and Angels. Frank Kelly had a supporting role in it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I remember vaguely a movie about two Dublin flatmates, early 20s and a covered-up murder. No idea what it was called.

Sounds not unlike the plot of Shallow Grave tbh, but that's Scottish

• Registered Users Posts: 31,751 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Kisses

Lovely little film, about two kids from rough backgrounds who run away together at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Can't remember the name but it had Adrian Dunbar in it and the plot involved him going looking for Joseph Locke who was living in the midlands somewhere iirc. Had some funny scenes in it i recall.

Hear my song!

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Takes them a week and a half and two of them ride by a bonfire? The border patrol shoot one and another gets a punishment beating? Terrible terrible movie.

A gang of Loyalists in it were using hurley's as weapons I seem to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Most Irish films get forgotten, but some that spring to mind are:

Between the Canals. Utter Shíte.
    Glasslands.
    One Hundred Mornings.
    About Adam (not sure if it was a proper Irish film but anyway)
    Metal Heart.
    The Tiger's Tale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Adam and Paul ?

Realistic, depressing and poignant!
    Two junkies on a meaning less journey around Dublin. meet up with ex-junkies, hungry tired cold and wet. Misery personified.

Can't remember the name but it had Adrian Dunbar in it and the plot involved him going looking for Joseph Locke who was living in the midlands somewhere iirc. Had some funny scenes in it i recall.

Hear My Song. It's set in Offaly (I think) but theres a scene where Dunbars character narrowly avoids being thrown off the Cliffs Of Moher by a gang of yokels.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,388 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Boys and Girl from Co Clare... about a trad group.
    Andrea Corr, Colm Meaney involved.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

Waking ned, always worth a watch ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

A gang of Loyalists in it were using hurley's as weapons I seem to remember.

I thought they used planks, but hurleys are even more hilarious.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Neds wake.

Do you mean Waking Ned?

denartha wrote: »
    Do you mean Waking Ned?

I do, I wrote it off the top of my head, I admit I wanted to be first to mention it....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

On The Edge, film with Cillian Murphy and Stephen Rea, set in a mental hospital, saw it once, never heard anything about it again

Frankie Starlight, watched it as a friend used to rave about the book it was based on called "the Dork From Cork" (that would have been a great title). Film was really dull , it wasnt even filmed in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I know I'm name-dropping an Irish film for the sake of it being Irish, and that it's not really forgotten.
    But Flight of the Doves. Was always on around St Patricks Day. I remember when I was a youngster, one scene used to freak me out. when one of the youngsters spotted a tattoo on the baddie, and pushed him into the sea. I think it was from a lighthouse. The details are a bit sketchy, but it was something like that.

Korea. Set in Cavan in the 50s, might have been Andrew Scott's first film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Not sure if shorts qualify but for me "Chicken" (2001) directed by Barry Dignam was a stand out.

I'll always remember Lamb (1985) for it harrowing ending. A complex and chilling film. Other standouts from that era that don't surface very often are "The Ballroom of Romance" (1982) and Cal (1984) if these qualify as Irish.

From earlier years some much older ones (now all but forgotten) are worth watching to see just how much Ireland has changed: Man of Aran (1934), Guests of the Nation (1935), The Dawn (1936), Mise Éire (1959)

And for those who enjoy pure cringe, these are worth watching to see how much the perception (ours as well as others) of Ireland and the Irish has changed: The Luck of the Irish (1936), The Quiet Man (1952), Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959).

And last but not least on the list of films to see before I die is "Rocky Road to Dublin" (1967) on the basis that any piece of film featuring Seán Ó Faoláin, Conor Cruise O'Brien, John Huston and Father Michael Cleary has to be worth watching, not to mention the fact that "official Ireland" ignored/blocked it for over 20 years. Or if the boat was to be pushed all the way out there is "Flight of the Doves" (1971) featuring our very own Dana with Jack Wild (Oliver) and Ron Moody (Fagin)

A few lists:

List of films produced in Ireland

List of films set in Ireland

List of films set in Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

An Everlasting Piece

Evelyn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,571 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's not Irish really, A Fistfull of Dynamite, but James Coburn plays an Irish guy, and I'm pretty sure they filmed some of the scenes in The Long Hall pub, where he's thinking back of being in Dublin and the IRA and all that. Then he goes to Mexico and is an explosives expert. Sergio Leone directed it and music from Ennio Morricone, the dream team.

Advertisement