Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fair City - How to get on this show

• 19-02-2008 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

A friend of mine, with limited acting experience, would like to get on Fair City. If possible he would like this to be a recurring role.

Does anyone know where he should start, who he should apply to, or what he needs to do?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Get some more experience perhaps? I know people in/who've been in FC and they were all picked from being active on the amateur circuit.

A letter to RTE enquiring about extras work maybe but with limited experience his chance of getting a speaking role are nil to non existant!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Could try movieextras.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Er, why would anyone WANT to be on this show?

I'm in a performing arts course and everyone hates Fair City, we call it Fairly (rude word that rhymes with City)

I know someone who's going to have a recurring role on the show and she says she hates the show too

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, people generally get picked up because they're active on the amateur circuit and get to know someone involved in the show.

It's good for exposure on the Irish scene, but only in the "That's yer wan from Fair City" regard. Few actors get to properly show off their talents because they often only have enough cash to do one or two takes, regardless of how crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

In fairness ('scuse the pun! ;) ), whatever you think of the show, MANY of the actors making regular appearances are accomplished stage/film actors in their own right. Anna Manahan for example is one of Ireland's most established actors (and YES she has done work in other countries).

I would send a CV and photo to casting dept for the show (hunt a bit for it!)
    Much of the Fair City casting is via agents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TEDDYBEAR90

you should join get in touch with movieextras or backstage casting.
    Small fee to join movie extras but nice people to work for and good fun. Good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jojo12

Getting into fair city has nothing whatsoever to do with "acting" as very few of the cast can act, acting is something you do on stage in front of a live audience .so you dont need to be able to act , you just need to be in the know! I suggest you join a drama group and get real experience on the stage!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

jojo12 wrote: »
    ...acting is something you do on stage in front of a live audience...

I think you've just singlehandedly closed down Hollywood!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jojo12

well i dont think both fair city and hollywood can be really mentioned in the same sentence when it comes to acting, I mean the latter has had some real good actors tru its doors, particularly the Irish ones! but it has had its share of planks too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AbitDramatic

Delphi91 wrote: »
    I think you've just singlehandedly closed down Hollywood!!

I dont think that they closed down Hollywood in the aspect of acting that she was talking about. A lot of people feel that acting on Film or Camera isn't just about acting (as it mostly is in theatre...) it is who you know etc etc. But also the quality of acting doesn't have to be so genuine- as it does with stage. A lot can be done with editing etc...

Also... I couldnt imagine acting without being able to feed off of the audience... Anyway... just a thought =D.
    And personally as an "actor" I wouldn't touch Fair City. But that might just be because Im a snob...... Some of the actors in it are quite good when they do theatre work though =D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Just a comment on previous posts.

Fair City isn't the best drama programme on tv by a long shot but it does have a few things worth mentioning.

Its home produced.
    It gives actors a chance be they good bad or indifferent.
    It provides employment and experience for many people that might have to travel elsewhere for it. (set decorators costume make up etc etc)
    It gives script writers editors producers directors etc etc a chance to hone their skills before moving on to something else.

And to the "actors" that claim they wouldn't be interested in a part on the show I think thats a cop out, If you're so good or you're better than the existing cast (that operate on a low budget) why not try and get on the show and dazzle everyone with your skills.

I'll bet if any actor was offered a part they'd take it with both hands because of the exposure it would give them.

And finally a question does anyone know any actors that have actually turned down a part on this programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

Just a comment on previous posts.

Fair City isn't the best drama programme on tv by a long shot but it does have a few things worth mentioning.

Its home produced.
    It gives actors a chance be they good bad or indifferent.
    It provides employment and experience for many people that might have to travel elsewhere for it. (set decorators costume make up etc etc)
    It gives script writers editors producers directors etc etc a chance to hone their skills before moving on to something else.

And to the "actors" that claim they wouldn't be interested in a part on the show I think thats a cop out, If you're so good or you're better than the existing cast (that operate on a low budget) why not try and get on the show and dazzle everyone with your skills.

I'll bet if any actor was offered a part they'd take it with both hands because of the exposure it would give them.

And finally a question does anyone know any actors that have actually turned down a part on this programme.

I actually laughed out loud at this post!

Costume and make-up work on this show is very minimal, the regular actors have a monthy budget; out of witch they buy clothes for themselves. As for make up, unless there is a particular scene requiring special make up it temds to be done very low scale. Most do it themselves, and this can be seen on screen.

The fact that it is home produced means nothing! There are many more more tallented figures in Ireland who wouldn't shame their CV with Fair City, and thoes who might be interested are snubbed becauce of the cliqueness of the production team. If Irish people are capable of winning Oscars, surely we are capable of producing something worth while. And anyone who has the mentalitly that 'oh it was produced in Ireland, its ok that its rubbish' should be ashamed of them selves. Irish people should have a higher standard for our selves!

The script writes, directors, editors etc of this show deserve to be shot. The whole production is a shambles and is an embarassment to the Irish arts scene.

I agree wholeheartedly with the actors who said they would never discrace themselves with a Fair City appearence. No matter how good an actor you are (I also agree that it takes a more tallented actor to preform on stage) if you are surrounded by the filth that Fair City attracts you are bound to look no better than them. A production is only a strong as its weakest link, and in the case of Fair City picking the weakest is a harder job than picking the best. Needless to say that is not a good situation to me in.

You're right, it would give a new actor exposure, but there is nothing worse, as far as I'm concerned, than seeing 'as seen in Fair City' printed beside a name in a cast list.

Any self respecting person in the Theatre/ Acting world would sooner accept a part in the Liberty Hall Christmas Pano. than accpt a part on Fair City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AbitDramatic

Hear Hear =D

:p

Sorry lads, but it really shows lack of experience imo to 'diss' film and tv work as 'not being acting'. Any pro worth their salt in the biz will tell you that they both start with a basic, but have different skill sets. I have seen wonderful stage actors look completely sh*te on screen, because they have no training in this field. Their subtext is blasted across the screen, as they are used to 'playing to a house', and are not used to making the scene/playing the action smaller.

Ditto OF COURSE for swapping screen to stage actors, again the problem can be projection/range/vocal emoting, a dozen things, but it is pure daft to play the screen vs stage yawn yawn game in terms of craft.

As for turning down a role in FC, why would you audition if you were a young actor and hated it? Are bigger names approached and turn down parts? Of course, due to scheduling, artistic differences - a million things again.

To say Anna Manahan, Donal O'Kelly, David Heap etc are bad actors...well you are entitled to your opinions, but it makes me wonder if you have SEEN them on stage. All accomplished actors. All done Fair City.

This random bitching serves no one.

RTE recently advertised for writers for Fair City, salary circa €26k!! Currently looking for assistant script editor - starting point of salary scale €29k. And then we wonder why it's not quality TV!

Interesting point from the last post which is relevant here..

We seem to all be mixing points/arguments;

Fair City being a sh*ite or valid *production*

Fair City attracting only actors who *are sh*te* (and writers were mentioned).

Acting for film and tv not being 'real acting':confused: as that is only possible onstage, live, reacting to an audience (God help us if there is a small house, the shows will suffer beyond belief so, and by that logic, all shows at the Point are a million times better than anything one would ever see at the Focus or the Project!:rolleyes:).

So, mixed arguments, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

any show that gives actors etc steady enough work (and therefore some cash coming in) in what can be a fickle industry has got to be a good thing. shortland street is looked down on a little here by some in the industry but its a tv gig that paying the rent. you only get the few staying forever (your chris warners)some/most go to do film and theatre after.
    there's nothing worse then snobbery about tv acting..

i definately agree with you inisboffin when you say Sorry lads, but it really shows lack of experience imo to 'diss' film and tv work as 'not being acting'..its very easy to spot those who are making the comments as being a bit "fresh". im no golden oldie but im not stupid enough to say "tv acting is sh!te, it isnt TRUE THEATRE" :rolleyes: oh the snobbery...and at such a young age!

Of course acting for TV and film is proper acting!! Fair City is just not a good example of it for the most part!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

athtrasna wrote: »
    RTE recently advertised for writers for Fair City, salary circa €26k!! Currently looking for assistant script editor - starting point of salary scale €29k. And then we wonder why it's not quality TV!
    It's not great money, but for anyone in the arts, stable money is hard to come by.

I imagine the contract sets out the number of lines/pages RTE require from the writer and doesn't prevent them from working on other projects while they write for Fair City. So as long as they hit their "quota", they know they have a stable cashflow coming in (a godsend for any artist) and can use all their spare time for working on more rewarding projects.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Of course acting for TV and film is proper acting!! Fair City is just not a good example of it for the most part!
    Didn't mean it to come across like I was quoting you on that point athtrasna, sorry if it did. That argument did come up earlier in this discussion, and I felt the points were being all muddied (bad 'actors' and not the best production values being cited as the same thing). I would also restate that Fair City has a HUGE mixed bag of acting 'talent'. I would indeed concede that there are some fairly sh*te folk on there too, but to say 'most' of the cast are awful, and that no self respecting actor would take work on the show, well, I strongly disagree, knowing the high level of craft possessed by some of the cast.

• Advertisement

To be honest I'd much rather have a recurring role on Stargate than be full-time on Fair City. One recurring Fair City actor earned €8000 from FC last year, a recurring actor on Stargate can earn C$4000 (€2800) per episode, there's extra income to be made from attending conventions.

And last but not least, pretending to blow up aliens and playing with guns sounds a hell of a lot more fun than talking s***e in the pub in FC.

Oh and Stargate's filmed in Vancouver, and it's ski season there most of the year!

They're casting in Dublin (Cork, Galway, Belfast?) for Stargate and no one rang me?
    Boll*x, I am firing my agent!;)

Seriously, I hear you about Vancouver, love that city, and the on-set catering has to be a nice change from the RTE canteen :D (not knocking ye lads, seriously, love them chips!).

Waaay bigger budget. We should produce some sci fi here. But wait, there was Corman - high art stuff in Galway...:rolleyes:

inisboffin wrote: »
    Seriously, I hear you about Vancouver, love that city, and the on-set catering has to be a nice change from the RTE canteen :D (not knocking ye lads, seriously, love them chips!).

Waaay bigger budget. We should produce some sci fi here. But wait, there was Corman - high art stuff in Galway...:rolleyes:

Yeah, on Stargate they have catering trucks outside which is capable of serving fresh salmon.

As for SciFi in Ireland, there was an ep of Earth: Final Conflict filmed here

Ya, unfortunately for the mortgages/paying the rent/feeding the habits of choice, we need more than one episode ;)

I actually haven't eaten in the RTE canteen in a couple of years, has the food really gone that far south??

Speaking of fish on a truck, got the nicest of crabcakes in the middle of Connemara, in a rainstorm recently on a shoot, so Stargate will have to up the ante (and the amount of episodes!!) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

It's not difficult to get an audition for Fair City, or indeed to get on to the show itself. The problem, however, is that the hectic shooting schedule means that if you are not an experienced actor, you may come off badly. They're not going to spend all day perfecting your piece or allowing you to find your inner child. Soap acting is harder than it looks. When I switch over to Fair City (I don't watch it BTW) I tend to see young kids hamming it up, and that's probably due to them relying solely on their stage training, and not having enough screen experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

I can't see anywhere where is was mentioned that Acting for Camera wasnt real acting, as far as I can tell the point that was being made was Acting on stage takes more tallent. And as to a bigger audience making for a better preformance, I think you're missing the point. Tv removes the viewer from the story, and so the actors need not have a great grasp of emotions, where as on stage, the audience become a part of the story, they are enveloped by it, and so the actors need to be more convincing and 'real' as they portray their charactors.

You all seem to be missing the point of the arguement here, and picking a nitty gitty things, which is the first sign of an arguemnt not holding any stable ground in a debate.

As far as acting for tv goes Fair City is shocking, and when people excuse its shoddyness 'oh because its Irish', well it down right pisses me off.
    We have such great tallent in this country and it is being waisted on this piece of filthy embarasment that is played on your Tv's every week.
    Give a group of newely graduated students the same budget and resources and I guarintee you we would have an Irish soap worth talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

shazpunk wrote: »
    I can't see anywhere where is was mentioned that Acting for Camera wasnt real acting, as far as I can tell the point that was being made was Acting on stage takes more tallent. And as to a bigger audience making for a better preformance, I think you're missing the point. Tv removes the viewer from the story, and so the actors need not have a great grasp of emotions, where as on stage, the audience become a part of the story, they are enveloped by it, and so the actors need to be more convincing and 'real' as they portray their charactors.

You all seem to be missing the point of the arguement here, and picking a nitty gitty things, which is the first sign of an arguemnt not holding any stable ground in a debate.

As far as acting for tv goes Fair City is shocking, and when people excuse its shoddyness 'oh because its Irish', well it down right pisses me off.
    We have such great tallent in this country and it is being waisted on this piece of filthy embarasment that is played on your Tv's every week.
    Give a group of newely graduated students the same budget and resources and I guarintee you we would have an Irish soap worth talking about.

Shazpunk, have you ever acted on tv? on stage? at all? You make pretty big assumptions (and generalisations) about the "talent" required to act on stage or on camera. Speaking to actors like I do everyday, who do acting for screen AND stage, say that camera work is often harder and involves the same amount of "talent" as each other but in different ways. Camera work requires you to be constantly aware of the camera's around you that catch every move and emotion. You have short time frames to work in. You have to emote and emote and emote (I hate that word but yeah) over and over if you happen to work on something with limited camera's where they have to do the same scene from different angles.
    Stage work has it's own set of challenges, for example a cold house who don't sound a peep so you have to work harder for, finding your light,quick changes, multiple characters in some cases etc etc. Both require talent, just in different ways.To think otherwise is naive to be perfectly honest.

People don't get as involved in tv shows as they do in theatre? Boooolllocks. If anything people get more emotionally involved and attached to characters because they are on for weeks and weeks whereas in theatre you only meet with a character for 2 hours or so. Sometimes actors have to put themselves out there even more to break the t.v barrier...they can't be lazy about it.

"We have such great tallent in this country and it is being waisted on this piece of filthy embarasment that is played on your Tv's every week." Strong words. Would you say this to the face of an actor, director, writer,set designer, whoever? I bet you wouldn't. Saying stuff like that is such bullsh!t. Really highlights your inexperience. At least if you're going to critique a show, do it intelligently. Saying its a "filthy embarrassment" is so disrespectful and not helpful to someone who works on a show.They can't use abuse that you're writing to improve upon their work.From seeing other posts of yours on here, you're still young. Get some experience, work on some shows, talk to the people that bust their gut everyday because the love it (not just talking about FC..) even if they're getting paid sh!te money and doing long hours and then I think you'll change your tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

shazpunk wrote: »

Some of the acting is pretty bad, that's true, but there are great performances too. Did you see Bela in Thursday's episode? There was a scene where he tried to cheer up Rita about getting old and sick, and then went off into a room on his own to cry. No words, just an old man trying to keep it together. That was really moving, and just as good as anyone on the other soaps.

Agreed about the "because it's Irish" thing though. There's no reason for our programmes not to be better than the English ones. Writing and acting isn't like the League of Ireland, where anyone half-decent leaves the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

dublindude wrote: »

Does anyone know where he should start, who he should apply to, or what he needs to do?

Thanks

You have to collect 50 tokens off the rice krisipies boxes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 When_ya_go_down

i would LOVE an acting or singing job, i am too young to enter thhe xfactor but i hate school i am not stupid i just have no interest in it. I dont want to tell family because they would laugh, i am very dedicated and hard working when i want something. i have a few
    dvds of me in shows acting and singing i dont know how good they are! PLEASE Help xx

Advertisement