Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2020: Styrian GP (Austria, Part Zwei)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is it fair to say the Ferrari upgrades seem to be dud, based on FP1, at least on this circuit anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

3 place grid penalty for Lando Norris for overtaking under yellow flags in FP1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Inquitus wrote: »
    Is it fair to say the Ferrari upgrades seem to be dud, based on FP1, at least on this circuit anyways?
    Yes
    No difference that could be observed.

Perhaps they were running different setups in their program and they will know internally different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

kksaints wrote: »
    Didn't Kimi win in Spa in 2009, albeit it was a pig of a car most of the time.

Apologies you’re correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There's a small chance this FP2 could be the qualifying for the race.

• Advertisement

Ricciardo with a very heavy shunt there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

namloc1980 wrote: »

Yep apparently the shíte forecast actually continues into Sunday morning meaning qualy mightn't run then either.

Red Bull having more electronic engine troubles.

The Pink Mercedes leading the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Racing point are flying here, nobodys getting close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

Feels like a qualy session. Perez only 0.009 off his qualy time last week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm loving this. This is like an old style quali. Just watching for lap times. The possibility of these laps being the times used for Sunday's race. Come on Perez!!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Yes, this is an interesting FP2, dont usually watch the practices but I'm enjoying these

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

astrofluff wrote: »
    I'm loving this. This is like an old style quali. Just watching for lap times. The possibility of these laps being the times used for Sunday's race. Come on Perez!!

Yeah - I have despised the "elimination" qualifying since its inception. I realize they adopted the format to avoid these situations where a wet/dry track meant there was little action for most of the session, but these were relatively rare.

Now, the first 40+ minutes of qualifying are largely irrelevant, might as well tune in just for Q3.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Red Bull having more electronic engine troubles.

And hen the engine runs they're having real trouble with rear grip. Apparently they've had 5 spins in FP2! Both high speed and low speed spins

Vettel in 16th sandwiched between the two Williams! Not a happy camper.

I dont think Seb gives a shíte anymore

Ecknm9kXsAEnbjR?format=jpg&name=medium

Between the two Williams and behind both Alfa's.

Ah lads. He was ahead of LeClerc in FP1. It's only free practice. It means fcuk-all.

Ah lads. He was ahead of LeClerc in FP1. It's only free practice. It means fcuk-all.

In fairness it does. We can see the Ferrari upgrades have done very little in improving the car. And the other Ferrari powered cars are very slow.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I dont think Seb gives a shíte anymore

Ecknm9kXsAEnbjR?format=jpg&name=medium

Between the two Williams and behind both Alfa's.

He had a deleted lap due to slightly going outside track limits of 1:04.772. Would've put him 12th, not much better than where he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

He had a deleted lap due to slightly going outside track limits of 1:04.772. Would've put him 12th, not much better than where he was.
    Would have left him 0.07 behind his teammate rather than 0.9. Might not have mattered much in overall classification, but wouldn't have looked near as bad in comparison to the other team car.

In fairness it does. We can see the Ferrari upgrades have done very little in improving the car. And the other Ferrari powered cars are very slow.

Well, the claim was that Vettel finishing where he did in FP2 means he's given up.

The aero redesign was about potential for this season AND next season - because next years cars will basically be the same as this year's car. The upgrades were always going to be minimal as they're just the first iteration of the new aero development direction. The main problem is that all the Ferrari powered cars have to use a legal engine this year. Anyone who thought that the first half of the first aero package update would solve any problems was only wishful thinking.

In other words, Ferrari was slow last week and they're still slow in spite of a few new aero bits on the car. Did anyone seriously thing the car would take a big step forward with a single aero upgrade?

So Red Bull look strong, Mercedes 2019 and 2020 too, Hamilton a bit off colour, and Ferrari's upgrades are duff!

Albon a fair bit slower than Max again. He seemed to be having issues with the car throughout FP2.

Albon a fair bit slower than Max again. He seemed to be having issues with the car throughout FP2.
    I think he's just slower than max full stop.

I was watching live and didnt see that. However, as I'm WFH and watching, maybe I missed it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Actually this could be the starting grid for the race on Sunday so ye it does mean a lot. If nothing happens tomorrow because of the weather then this will be where they all start and I for one would have no problem with that. As for a Ferrari and Vettel been stuck between two William's It looks terrible for Ferrari but good for William's.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

AMKC wrote: »
    Actually this could be the starting grid for the race on Sunday so ye it does mean a lot. If nothing happens tomorrow because of the weather then this will be where they all start and I for one would have no problem with that. As for a Ferrari and Vettel been stuck between two William's It looks terrible for Ferrari but good for William's.
    Not entirely true just yet. Sunday morning qualifying is currently also an option isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Top Dog wrote: »
    Not entirely true just yet. Sunday morning qualifying is currently also an option isn't it?

Yes I think it has been mentioned too alright.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »

It was but the weather for Sunday morning apparently isn't much of an improvement over tomorow so thats why they may just use FP2. If conditions are bad Sunday they wont want to risk a car having a bad enough shunt in the morning that it could rule it out of the race.

Advertisement