Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sold my bike... Bought another one.

• 03-07-2020 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

So tomorrow morning a guy is coming to buy my 2002 1150 GS Adventure. It's my 9th 1150 Adventure in the last 18 years.
    I've already bought my replacement bike :D wait for it ................... A 2005 BMW R1150 GS Adventure SE (White Model) with only 16K Miles on it ;). This comes with full OEM Adventure panniers (rare as hens teeth) and lots of other extras. So the new bike will be my 10th Adventure. Who says you can't get enough of a good thing ? :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Nice one.
    I don't know much about them but its the 1150 I'd go for myself if I wanted a GS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

So tomorrow morning a guy is coming to buy my 2002 1150 GS Adventure. It's my 9th 1150 Adventure in the last 18 years.
    I've already bought my replacement bike :D wait for it ................... A 2005 BMW R1150 GS Adventure SE (White Model) with only 16K Miles on it ;). This comes with full OEM Adventure panniers (rare as hens teeth) and lots of other extras. So the new bike will be my 10th Adventure. Who says you can't get enough of a good thing ? :D:D:D

Jesus, it looks like you could live in that with all the luggage space!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Zebbedee

This may seem like a silly question but if you like them so much (which you obviously do) why do you keep selling them and getting another?
    I'm genuinely curious.
    I tend to keep bikes I like for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Zebbedee wrote: »
    This may seem like a silly question but if you like them so much (which you obviously do) why do you keep selling them and getting another?
    I'm genuinely curious.
    I tend to keep bikes I like for quite a while.

Kept the one I bought new in 2005 until 2018 but I love the chase :pac:. So I buy them and keep them for a year or two and then sell them on and go looking in Europe for a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Kept the one I bought new in 2005 until 2018 but I love the chase :pac:. So I buy them and keep them for a year or two and then sell them on and go looking in Europe for a replacement.

Do you use Autoscout and overlanders to bring it in? Genuinely curious.

Looking to pick up a second bike, perhaps a Hypermotard

Thanks

• Advertisement

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Do you use Autoscout and overlanders to bring it in? Genuinely curious.

Looking to pick up a second bike, perhaps a Hypermotard

Thanks

Shhhh don't tell the Irish about Autoscout.de ;) . And then get the bike dropped to Memmingen for onward shipping .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Very nice! A future classic maybe.
    I predict you'll be less-inclined to part with this one.
    Do SEs have servo brakes?

Very nice! A future classic maybe.
    I predict you'll be less-inclined to part with this one.
    Do SEs have servo brakes?

Already a classic ;). Yes sadly it has a "ticking time bomb" servo fitted and still working. The servo on my last SE failed seven months after I sold the bike so the owner had a Servoectomy done :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

When buying an older model, what should you look out for abs servo wise?

When buying an older model, what should you look out for abs servo wise?

ABS 1 is on earlier bikes. Pretty well no issues with it. On next generation bikes came the "Servo" assisted brakes. Mark in Platinum Motorcycles Bray always said you needed to change brake fluid and flush out servo "every" year. If it's working then use it and enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

A common consensus is avoid the servo but not the ABS. Servo introduced on the GS in 2003.
    It's straightfoward to remove them if they fail but the down-side is you lose ABS too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Best of luck with your newest GSA, she's a beauty. I'm on a 2010 1200GS the last few years and bloody love the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭goblin59

A common consensus is avoid the servo but not the ABS. Servo introduced on the GS in 2003.
    It's straightfoward to remove them if they fail but the down-side is you lose ABS too.

yeah Dad disabled the ABS on his 2005 GS, seemed to have solved the servo issue.
    He's never had a bike with ABS previously so didn't both him not having it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

goblin59 wrote: »
    yeah Dad disabled the ABS on his 2005 GS, seemed to have solved the servo issue.
    He's never had a bike with ABS previously so didn't both him not having it any more.

I'm surprised bmw weren't sued by class action for the servo brake fiasco. 1150, 1200, k1200, rt1200 all affected 02 to 07 models. You can disconnect for about 400 to 600 repair would be the value of the bike in most cases. Abs 2 is a lot better and current models seem fine. Take the new 1250 shift cam for a spin its good bike , light years ahead of the 1150!

fatbast wrote: »
    Take the new 1250 shift cam for a spin its good bike , light years ahead of the 1150!

Light years ahead but in 16 years will there be a single 2020 BMW 1250 bike on the road ? Actually my real reason for buying my 10th 1150 Adventure is that I really like them, and it costs a fraction of the price of a new 1250 :D:D:D. I'll ride it fir 18 months and then sell it for more than I bought it for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,370 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Light years ahead but in 16 years will there be a single 2020 BMW 1250 bike on the road ? Actually my real reason for buying my 10th 1150 Adventure is that I really like them, and it costs a fraction of the price of a new 1250 :D:D:D. I'll ride it fir 18 months and then sell it for more than I bought it for ;)

They're will definitely be 1250s on the road.

Older doesn't mean without issues his thread as shown that.

Newer doesn't mean without issues.

But yes there will probably be both models out on the road still.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

I hear ya, and the resale factor cant be denied, you'd lose more in the first week with a 1250 than you'd buy an 1150 for!.
    But still its nice to try the latest technology . Bought a used ktm 1290s a while ago its some yoke. The 1250 bm is just as good but not as exciting .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭goblin59

fatbast wrote: »
    I'm surprised bmw weren't sued by class action for the servo brake fiasco. 1150, 1200, k1200, rt1200 all affected 02 to 07 models. You can disconnect for about 400 to 600 repair would be the value of the bike in most cases. Abs 2 is a lot better and current models seem fine. Take the new 1250 shift cam for a spin its good bike , light years ahead of the 1150!

he's often said the same.
    Apparently there was some work around they had to avoid being sued.
    I'd say if it happened these days they'd be strung out.

Advertisement