Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 season start - Austria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Gintonious wrote: »
    Jesus, the Merc is another animal this year.

Bottas doing his usual false hope for us all, he starts strong then falls off. His lap was great today but I still think he has nothing on Hamilton.

Hopefully we get a short season so we don't have to deal with this for too long...

They changed the rules a couple of months ago so that the teams have to use the same chassis next year, as a cost saving measure. So we've got a year and a half of this to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Interesting reasoning they gave for not penalising him for ignoring the yellow flags.
    "The video footage confirmed that there have been yellow flags and green light panels at the same time and therefore conflicting signals were shown to the driver.

Surely in the event that both yellow and green flags are shown, the yellow takes precedence? That's a pretty dangerous precedent to set from a safety point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

quokula wrote: »
    They changed the rules a couple of months ago so that the teams have to use the same chassis next year, as a cost saving measure. So we've got a year and a half of this to look forward to.

Yup, that's correct.

I guess we can only hope that some cars have a good development curve to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Gintonious wrote: »
    Yup, that's correct.

I guess we can only hope that some cars have a good development curve to go through.

There is a token system for upgrades, a bit like the engine tokens from a few years ago, some items cannot be upgraded without using tokens from this first GP and the rest of the items are fixed from the 8th round of 2020. So if Ferrari can't get their shít together in fairly short order, the token system will make it very hard for them to do significant catch up later on.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/six-key-questions-about-f1s-new-token-system-answered/#:~:text=Formula%201's%20carry%2Dover%20of,complex%20V6%20turbo%2Dhybrid%20engines.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

quokula wrote: »
    Interesting reasoning they gave for not penalising him for ignoring the yellow flags.

Surely in the event that both yellow and green flags are shown, the yellow takes precedence? That's a pretty dangerous precedent to set from a safety point of view.

I would imagine it would be a case by case basis. Was the yellow shown first then the green? If so then Lewis is entitled to get back to racing speed and it would be an error on behalf of the race director.

I’d like to see the on-board shot to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I enjoyed the qualifying I have to say. Hope it's a good race tomorrow. Go Max or Danial Ricciardo. I know dreaming there a bit with the latter lol. Would be great to see him win it do. Well done to Bottas. I hope he has a great season this year. Really hope Ferraris upgrades st Hungary can help improve there cages as it was terrible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Is it right that Ferrari aren't allowed any Engine, MGU, or Turbo upgrades for the season, and if so can we rename them to fiat?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Wait so track limits are actually going to be a thing this year???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Lewis has warned the other drivers that staying silent is facilitating racism, that those who do not take the knee are racist and he will remember whoever doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,149 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Apparently Lando nearly missed qualifying as his first temperature reading was too high to gain entry. He passed the second one to make the session.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

pjohnson wrote: »
    Apparently Lando nearly missed qualifying as his first temperature reading was too high to gain entry. He passed the second one to make the session.
    Apparently he spent time in a chest freezer to 'cool down and chill out'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

So an hour before the race and we still aren't sure of the starting grid. F1 is definitely back :)

Hope Max can give the mercs some trouble today, but feel like the gap is too big atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Brundle and Button both in agreement, it should have been a penalty.
    Red Bull are adamant, holding Mexico last year as the precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

skipper_G wrote: »
    Brundle and Button both in agreement, it should have been a penalty.
    Red Bull are adamant, holding Mexico last year as the precedent.

the fact others backed off yesterday kind of is a slam dunk for me. Hamilton should get a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Mercedes prepping for three place grid penalty with red bull moving up
    EcKWVpAWsAEa2Ns?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

The merc is so quick that it probably won’t make any difference to the finishing order. It increases the likelihood that black jesus could get involved in a turn 1 calamity however.

Hamilton 3 place grid penalty confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

^^^wot?? What does that mean... Actually I won't get drawn in.

The argument is whether Lewis has his share of bad luck, too much goes his way. The fact that the stewards didn't see anything wrong says a lot about their processes when Red Bull had to go use the Mexico incident for it to be looked at again. Things not going Lewis' way, for once.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

As it is warm the black colour of the car could become a problem. Mercedes had temperature issues the last year and car was designed with silver colour in mind.

Was watching a WTF Moments in Motorsports video yesterday and it really hammered home that drivers nowadays don't have any respect for safety. They go on about safety purely from the point that that should be able to go out and drive like maniacs with no danger or repercussions whatsoever. It's also part of why I made a post yesterday about closing the pitlane for Safety Cars, while there's a delta for when the SC is out they're still going to drive to the limit of that, particular in the rain it's a danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Harika wrote: »
    As it is warm the black colour of the car could become a problem. Mercedes had temperature issues the last year and car was designed with silver colour in mind.

Noticed that

Why did they pick a black colour this year?

Looks horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Noticed that

Why did they pick a black colour this year?

Looks horrible

I'd say Lewis made that call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Some drivers are getting abuse for decided to not take a knee before the race, Norris and LeClerc two drivers think.

The idea that not performing these gestures = you're a racist is moronic, and with Hamilton all but saying if you don't do it, it will "divide the grid" is just another form of bullying on his part.

Anyway........ let's get a McLaren podium today :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

astrofluff wrote: »
    They chose black to highlight the BLM aspect. Statement from LeClerc that he It's not less committed to ending racism but won't take a knee at the anthem.

Haha what a load of rubbish

Hope its a scorcher and overheats ;-)

Fingers crossed I'm wrong but generally starting on harder tyres hasn't seemed to allow for that much longer of a first stint. It'll also mean longer stints on the softs which should be manageable in terms of tyre-life but likely can't push while on them.

C’mon Baby. Let’s go racing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Harika wrote: »

Err...no. Black objects also radiate heat more effectively and given that the engine will be significantly hotter than the outside air temperature its more likely to help with cooling.

• Advertisement

Feeling pre race jitters, hoping the pink panthers' race pace is up there, it would be excellent to start the season with not only Mercedes or Red bull on the podium. Norris and Perez starting on the second row need clean starts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement