Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car NCT

• 04-05-2020 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Basically I’ve a car declared off the road since November due to me moving and not needing it. The nct is up since then but now I require a car again and I can’t put it through the nct as it’s closed. I can tax and insure the car. Is there anything I can do about the NCT or do I have to wait until they re open before I can get my car on the road? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

User69123 wrote: »
    Basically I’ve a car declared off the road since November due to me moving and not needing it. The nct is up since then but now I require a car again and I can’t put it through the nct as it’s closed. I can tax and insure the car. Is there anything I can do about the NCT or do I have to wait until they re open before I can get my car on the road? Thanks.

I do not know but if you can tax i expect all ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 User69123

I do not know but if you can tax i expect all ok...

Yeah true as long as I’ve tax and insurance I should be okay if I explain my situation...

Yeah true as long as I’ve tax and insurance I should be okay if I explain my situation...

There nothing to explain except for the people who say you need cert but you cannot get as the machine is broken down and testing center closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Interesting one. Valid NCT certs have been extended but this one was not valid when the centres were shut down.
    Probably fine with most Guards but what if you come accross an awkard one? No NCT means a heafty points penalty.

Interesting one. Valid NCT certs have been extended but this one was not valid when the centres were shut down.
    Probably fine with most Guards but what if you come accross an awkard one? No NCT means a heafty points penalty.

Yeah true tyres lights everything is all perfect on it like it would pass not a bother but still don’t know if I’d be able to I think it was only ones from February on are allowed without cert... but I can’t get a cert because they’re obviously not open so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

NCT has an extension, but it only applies to cars with a test due date on or after 28 March 2020.
    https://www.ncts.ie/1115

So unfortunately it doesn't apply to you OP.

No-one really knows when centres will reopen.
    Keep an eye on NCT site https://www.ncts.ie/1115 and news thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058065043

biko wrote: »
    NCT has an extension, but it only applies to cars with a test due date on or after 28 March 2020.
    https://www.ncts.ie/1115

So unfortunately it doesn't apply to you OP.

No-one really knows when centres will reopen.
    Keep an eye on NCT site https://www.ncts.ie/1115 and news thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058065043

So OP has car taxed/insurance .
    There is no way this person can be prosecuted for not having something that cannot be obtained...

There is no way this person can be prosecuted for not having something that cannot be obtained...
    We're not lawyers so please don't offer what looks like legal advice.

biko wrote: »
    We're not lawyers so please don't offer what looks like legal advice.

If you want to censor peoples opinion you need legal advise?
    What gives you the right to interpret what people are saying as legal advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

I'm in almost the same situation.

Car off road since the end of last summer, NCT up in November.

At the beginning of March I taxed it, brought it the the NCT centre where it passed everything except emissions, but the lifts weren't working so no underbody checks done. NCT centres closed before I could get back in for a re-test.

So I am driving on, I have the fail sheet in the car in case I need it, otherwise car is taxed and insured. I have been doing minimal driving due to the C-19 situation so have not gone through a checkpoint yet.

I'm assuming that under the circumstances I won't be given too hard a time if it comes to it....

• Advertisement

I guess the problem is they can't come out and see don't worry about having an NCT cert right now because some people would start driving some horribly unsafe cars.

CiboC wrote: »
    I'm in almost the same situation.

Car off road since the end of last summer, NCT up in November.

At the beginning of March I taxed it, brought it the the NCT centre where it passed everything except emissions, but the lifts weren't working so no underbody checks done. NCT centres closed before I could get back in for a re-test.

So I am driving on, I have the fail sheet in the car in case I need it, otherwise car is taxed and insured. I have been doing minimal driving due to the C-19 situation so have not gone through a checkpoint yet.

I'm assuming that under the circumstances I won't be given too hard a time if it comes to it....
    Yeah you shouldn’t be too bad as you have fail sheet.. I just don’t want to pay my tax €150 for 3 months and pay my insurance to then be stopped and get in trouble for not having nct.. some guards might be okay with it but I could meet an awkward one too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Yeah you shouldn’t be too bad as you have fail sheet.. I just don’t want to pay my tax €150 for 3 months and pay my insurance to then be stopped and get in trouble for not having nct.. some guards might be okay with it but I could meet an awkward one too

Very true as only cars where the test expired during corona are entitled to get exempted.

OP - You cannot be 100% legal at this time on that car as your NCT is expired & NCT centres are currently closed.

If you do drive it, you take your chances. Normally you'd never meet a check point but at the moment they are a lot more active than ever before on the roads.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Very true as only cars where the test expired during corona are entitled to get exempted.

OP - You cannot be 100% legal at this time on that car as your NCT is expired & NCT centres are currently closed.

If you do drive it, you take your chances.

Would agree with this.

Having read the nct guidelines it explains that you are not covered

Had you booked a test but they cancelled it then you would be ok

If you need to travel by car I'd have it taxed and insured, try to get a full service and some docs that show change of circumstances ( that caused you to start driving?) and hope you don't meet a cop having a bad day

My NCT expired in Feb 10, went to the centre Feb 1 but they lifts were broken. Tried to rebook in March but they were still broken. I carry the fail sheet as evidence I got tested

Got stopped at a covid checkpoint and they didn't mention the NCT but they checked the others

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

OP, do you have a copy of the emails when you declared the car off the road? This might show that the car was not being used during this time, and then you can show where it was taxed from. Again, obviously all at your own risk, however, proof it was declared off the road might just add an extra arrow to your bow!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Heard that insurers won’t renew insurance if your nct has expired and you can’t get it done. Very unlucky to have both expiring close togethrr

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Heard that insurers won’t renew insurance if your nct has expired and you can’t get it done. Very unlucky to have both expiring close togethrr

I have never been asked about the NCT from an insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Me neither, I was just thinking that, but that’s what I was told. Perhaps the person concerned is very fussy and brought it up instead of saying nothing.

One thing that would worry me is if you check this thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057749778&page=488

Most cars confiscated recently are for a number of factors not just one. But one of the factors has been no NCT.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

One thing that would worry me is if you check this thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057749778&page=488

Most cars confiscated recently are for a number of factors not just one. But one of the factors has been no NCT.

In fairness, the Gardai normally use NCT against you if you're acting the bollOx!

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    In fairness, the Gardai normally use NCT against you if you're acting the bollOx!

True but that twitter account is also making it clear that they consider no NCT a serious offence, if they didn't they wouldn't mention it so frequently.

Yeah I’m not too sure what to do, I changed the oil etc myself but had a mechanic look at it aswell and he reckons it’ll 100% pass when the time comes, car is a 06 focus and not worth anything. Maybe I’ll take chance but still I don’t want to get myself in trouble!

True but that twitter account is also making it clear that they consider no NCT a serious offence, if they didn't they wouldn't mention it so frequently.

They do seem to act big on their twitter account ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’m between two even narrower stools....

I’ve a document in the glovebox showing an incomplete, with everything passed bar the underbody inspection. I also have a printout of the booking for the underbody on the day after the centres closed down.

I wonder where I’d stand...

antodeco wrote: »
    OP, do you have a copy of the emails when you declared the car off the road? This might show that the car was not being used during this time, and then you can show where it was taxed from. Again, obviously all at your own risk, however, proof it was declared off the road might just add an extra arrow to your bow!

Yes I’m sure I have a screenshot of it somewhere. I must root it out thanks.

endacl wrote: »
    I’m between two even narrower stools....

I’ve a document in the glovebox showing an incomplete, with everything passed bar the underbody inspection. I also have a printout of the booking for the underbody on the day after the centres closed down.

I wonder where I’d stand...
    Nah once you’ve done the first bit of the test and have the sheet you’re fine

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nah once you’ve done the first bit of the test and have the sheet you’re fine

Dunno. If you met the wrong guard having the wrong grumpy day....

I don’t have a valid NCT. All I have is documentation supporting my claim to be a fine upstanding citizen.

endacl wrote: »
    Dunno. If you met the wrong guard having the wrong grumpy day....

I don’t have a valid NCT. All I have is documentation supporting my claim to be a fine upstanding citizen.

True.. some are grand some are pricks.. I’m only going to work and back which is about 6 miles away but they have had checkpoints on the way nearly everyday I’ve just been lucky they’ve not been there when I have..

You have your answers, OP. Stopping here as we have a thread already for more NCT chat.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement