Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

34 points for 18 holes. Played ok, though my mid-short irons were awful. Drove the ball well enough, but at least 5 holes i ended up pulling the ball massively left and having to try and salvage something. 28 points through 14, then had a 9 after a complete collapse. Pretty much forgot how to hit the golf ball, and was all over the bloody place. Started poor on 16 as well, but managed to sink a 40 foot putt to get 2 points, which perked me right up. Bogey bogey on the last two as well, which was fine, though i had some poor shots in there too.

Overall, i think my bad game has gotten way better. Previously my bad rounds were mid 20's, but if i can be shooting low 30's on a bad round, it's a definite improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Glebee

22 points from 14 holes in spring league comp. Im all over the place. One shot i strike good, next shot duff it. Putting was brutal. Missed 4 par puts and on two ended with double bogies after. Nees to get some lessons. Im just dont feel like my golf is any better tha this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

played scotch foursomes yesterday, I'm off 8 & partner 6 so had a combined hcp of 7. finished with 36pts, a few proper silly things hurt us but i'm sure every pairing will have those stories

Pros: I drove the ball very well bar 1. easy tho when your partner puts you in play & you can just let rip with no real consequence
    long irons are flying it
    putting went well

Cons: bladed a 155yrd (9i, 2nd hole) shot straight into a gully/drain 20yrds ahead of us (cost us 2shots at least with a drop out)
    chipping around the green I've lost confidence. even had a double tap... & the 2nd hit probably helped me rather than hurt. just need to get out in the garden in the evenings & practise

overall very happy with how I played & excited for next weekend... famous last words

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭paulos53

Myself and recycled teamed up yesterday, also for Scotch foursomes. No doubt it was the same comp as kennethrhcp.

We went 1 better for a total of 37 points. Between us we played great stuff tee to green but our chipping and putting was extremely poor. No excuses for that as the greens are in brilliant condition.
    40 putts and not a single 1-putt. However we did manage to get 1 birdie after hitting the par 5 4th in two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

25 points for 14 holes at the weekend. A real mixed bag. Drove the ball relatively well, a couple hit a little too high on the face, but I never put myself in any major trouble.

Irons were OK, but did short-side myself a couple of times.

Short game was either great or terrible. A few really bad, expensive efforts mixed with a couple of very nice up & downs.

Putting generally was decent. Lag putting was pretty solid. Missed one short putt. Greens had a fair bit of sand on them and was probably looking for too much break on a few efforts

1 Bird
    5 Pars
    4 Bogeys
    4 Doubles

Played better than I have for the last couple of weeks, and I finished well on the back 5 holes (Birdie-Bogey-Par-Par-Par)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

15 points on the front nine and I don't even want to count the back nine. Thinking about my swing way too much and hitting fats, thins, slices, and hooks. Once I start hitting it badly I spend the rest of the round tinkering trying to find the problem and making it worse. A winter taken to change my swing has left me with no swing at all.

Of course none of this happens on the range :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭willabur

Played 9 holes on my own yesterday, first time playing non competition on the course for a few months.

Christ on a bicycle the difference between practice and competition is like night and day. Also playing later in the day when my body was a lot looser makes a difference. Was trying out a friends 2 ball oddessey putter aswell and it was working alot better for me. had 5 1 putt holes including a ridiculous one from a mile away on the first hole

9 holes - 25 points
    2 birdies
    4 pars
    2 bogies

paulos53 wrote: »
    Myself and recycled teamed up yesterday, also for Scotch foursomes. No doubt it was the same comp as kennethrhcp.

We went 1 better for a total of 37 points. Between us we played great stuff tee to green but our chipping and putting was extremely poor. No excuses for that as the greens are in brilliant condition.
    40 putts and not a single 1-putt. However we did manage to get 1 birdie after hitting the par 5 4th in two.

yep, I joined Castlemartyr just before xmas. loving it there.

The greens are amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

A real mixed bag yesterday for me too. Our first 18 hole competition of the new season and I had 34pts off 15. Had a great run of 6 pars in a row from 8-13 but had 3 x 1pts either side of it. Also a bit frustrating to end up with so many double bogeys with a few of them happening because I was a bit aggressive with chips and putts which meant even getting a bogey was made hard for myself. Still 34pts while not playing particularly well is something.

Birdies - 1
    Pars - 8
    Bogeys - 1
    Doubles - 7
    Quadruple - 1 (a 9 on a par 5 where I lost 1st ball and didn't do wonders with the 2nd either!)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

Played a very satisfying round yesterday on a 9 hole track(par 70) but twice in 26 degree heat!

8 pars(best ever was 5 previously!)
    3 bogus
    3 double burger
    3 triple bogey
    Quintuple( Chunked 2 balls from same spot into water)

Think a lot of my game has come on almost unknown to me but still hitting irons fat now and again. Think I’m using too much arms and swinging too hard. Was six over after two holes but just shows you how hard it is to break 90! The consistency needed! Ahhhhh! One of these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,944 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Played a very satisfying round yesterday on a 9 hole track(par 70) but twice in 26 degree heat!

8 pars(best ever was 5 previously!)
    3 bogus
    3 double burger
    3 triple bogey
    Quintuple( Chunked 2 balls from same spot into water)

Think a lot of my game has come on almost unknown to me but still hitting irons fat now and again. Think I’m using too much arms and swinging too hard. Was six over after two holes but just shows you how hard it is to break 90! The consistency needed! Ahhhhh! One of these days...
    Three double burgers sounds a bit heavy during a round of golf. :D

I won't ask what a bogus is, but three of them sounds painful. ;)

Kiith wrote: »
    34 points for 18 holes. Played ok, though my mid-short irons were awful. Drove the ball well enough, but at least 5 holes i ended up pulling the ball massively left and having to try and salvage something. 28 points through 14, then had a 9 after a complete collapse. Pretty much forgot how to hit the golf ball, and was all over the bloody place. Started poor on 16 as well, but managed to sink a 40 foot putt to get 2 points, which perked me right up. Bogey bogey on the last two as well, which was fine, though i had some poor shots in there too.

Overall, i think my bad game has gotten way better. Previously my bad rounds were mid 20's, but if i can be shooting low 30's on a bad round, it's a definite improvement.

Forgot to mention...started and finished with the same ball for the first time ever ! :P

Got out for a shneaky 14 holes after work today, and hit 23 points. Some really nice drives, some pretty poor iron approaches, and decent everything else. My high irons are my biggest area to work on now, so need to get a lesson to stop pulling the ball on my approaches.

Really enjoyable few holes though. Course completely to myself :)

Nothing better than a shneaky few holes....

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Great to get out playing today after a 2 month break due to bad weather and training with a few other sports.

Played Portsalon, which was in fantastic condition, but didn't manage to break 30.

Driver was REALLY good but just wasn't cute enough round the greens. Looking forward to the rest of the year now, have a lesson planned and hopefully will be motivated to practice more with the increasing temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭bamayang

Played 15 holes this AM. Playing off 18 and hoping to get down this year.
    Had 5 pars, 6 bogeys a double and 3 scratches. About 4 x 3 putts, really need to get rid of them and try and remove the scratches. They always seem to come on the same holes...

played comp today... 25 points (8hcp)

Birdies 0
    Pars 7
    Bogeys 3
    Doubles 4
    Scratches 4

Pros: 5 wood is serving me very well

Cons: Can't chip to save my life! inside 20yards... I had a duff, a shank, a double tap, a blade... just lost the ability to chip. The back garden shall be getting hit up over the next few weeks/months

36pt 17/19 for 18 holes off 23. 4 pars and alot of doubles and 3 putts. Driving was great, lag putting was poor hit 90% of them short, never gave them a chance. Hopefully get out soon again but not that hopeful, back garden chipping and putting practice with putt out might be it for next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

36 points (19/17), off 24(pick and place). 2nd best round ever with a sore shoulder and 4 lipped putts. Only 2 pars but a LOT of solid bogey golf.

bamayang wrote: »
    Played 15 holes this AM. Playing off 18 and hoping to get down this year.
    Had 5 pars, 6 bogeys a double and 3 scratches. About 4 x 3 putts, really need to get rid of them and try and remove the scratches. They always seem to come on the same holes...

Another 18 today
    1 birdie
    4 pars
    5 bogies
    4 doubles
    4 scratches

Consistently inconsistent.

• Advertisement

28 points, (19/9) of 26hcp in Mount Wolseley yesterday. Scratched 3 holes on the back 9. Very nice course, in great condition. Greens in great shape. Driving was ok, irons were ok, putting was horrible.

Played Open on Monday in a windy Corballis

My playing partners didn't show up and the tee sheet was full. Asked a three ball just after they teed off if I could join them, thankfully they obliged (3 great lads) - but something like that is the makings of a rushed pulled tee shot.

Was pretty happy with how I was hitting the ball. Finding it difficult to scramble which is knocking me out of contention for the competitions.
    For anyone who knows the course the 9th hole which is a par three over water is playing so difficult in the winter. The wind is always in your face and it is a long carry to a narrow green which is tilted back towards the lake. I have made 1 par since November on this hole.

32 points of 13 (38 won it)
    1 Birdie
    4 Pars
    8 Bogies
    5 Doubles

8 FIR / 5 GIR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭gypsy79

willabur wrote: »
    Played Open on Monday in a windy Corballis

My playing partners didn't show up and the tee sheet was full. Asked a three ball just after they teed off if I could join them, thankfully they obliged (3 great lads) - but something like that is the makings of a rushed pulled tee shot.

Was pretty happy with how I was hitting the ball. Finding it difficult to scramble which is knocking me out of contention for the competitions.
    For anyone who knows the course the 9th hole which is a par three over water is playing so difficult in the winter. The wind is always in your face and it is a long carry to a narrow green which is tilted back towards the lake. I have made 1 par since November on this hole.

32 points of 13 (38 won it)
    1 Birdie
    4 Pars
    8 Bogies
    5 Doubles

8 FIR / 5 GIR

Played same comp

33 points off 19

1 birdie
    1 par
    11 bogies
    4 doubles
    1 scratch on the index 1!!

CSS was 33, disappointed not to get a cut in first comp out!

Greens were in ridiculously good nick!

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Played same comp

33 points off 19

1 birdie
    1 par
    11 bogies
    4 doubles

Where can you check CSS?

Thanks

bamayang wrote: »
    Where can you check CSS?

Thanks

They post it on GUI Golfnet site

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Played same comp

33 points off 19

1 birdie
    1 par
    11 bogies
    4 doubles

In fairness I think they are consistently amongst the best out there. I played another course in the locality on paddies day and the greens where very rough (understandable given the time of year)

Those 3 rounds last weekend are helping me get up to speed like I knew they would.

82, 43 points off 19

2 birdies
    6 pars
    6 bogies
    4 doubles

All 4 doubles were caused by poor chipping. SO something to work on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Just a casual 11 holes as only 2 of us between lots of 4balls (our 2 others didn't show.... Cheers lads) and tough weather.
    26 points off 13
    1 birdie
    4 pars
    5 bogeys
    1 scratch.

bPYKIp6.png

--

Thought this was worth a picture :P Didn't think i was anywhere near breaking 80, after only breaking 90 recently for the first time...and i just about wasn't. Missed a putt by a few milliliters on 17 for a birdie, and that would have just gotten me over the edge. Few duffed chips, and some pulled long irons early on (which i think i've figured out), but other then that, i hit the ball really well. Drives were great (bar 16), and some of my short game was seriously on form.

When things go well in golf, it really is an fantastic game :D

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    bPYKIp6.png

--

Thought this was worth a picture :P Didn't think i was anywhere near breaking 80, after only breaking 90 recently for the first time...and i just about wasn't. Missed a putt by a few milliliters on 17 for a birdie, and that would have just gotten me over the edge. Few duffed chips, and some pulled long irons early on (which i think i've figured out), but other then that, i hit the ball really well. Drives were great (bar 16), and some of my short game was seriously on form.

When things go well in golf, it really is an fantastic game :D

Same today, my best round had been 87 about 3 times a year for ages.....watch me post an 100 in Curragh next week

Advertisement