Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing desk

• 02-06-2019 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi
    I’m wondering, for a small acoustic gig, can an acoustic guitar not be plugged directly in to a mixing desk- does it need to go through a DI first?

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Cfaherty wrote: »
    Hi
    I’m wondering, for a small acoustic gig, can an acoustic guitar not be plugged directly in to a mixing desk- does it need to go through a DI first?

Thanks a mil

Hi Cfaherty,
    it depends. The main advantage conferred by the use of a DI is the electrical isolation — with the 'ground lifter' lifted, there is virtually no way the signal will be afflicted by a hum caused by a ground loop. The other advantage—when using an 'active' DI—is the high input impedance: this results in a signal that is quite true to the original without any filtering of high-frequency rolloff.
    On the aesthetic front—some DIs can colour the sound in a way that is appealing.

Having said all that, some desks can sound nice if you plug straight in, perhaps test it first?

You don't need to spend a lot on a DI—I have a collection that ranges from vintage expensive to dirt cheap—the Behringer active DIs sound very good and come in at a very competitive price point. Cheers, TM

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micky jammy delahunty

Cfaherty wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks a mil

If you know what you're doing. You certainly can, and get a great sound.

If you have a query as regards to using a DI, you do not know what you're doing.

You're always at the mercy of whoever is doing the sound. . if that person is you, then that's who you're at the mercy of.

I regularly do the sound on a small acoustic gig. The guitars go straight into the mixer. Basically, the electronics of all acoustic guitars that can be plugged in (I mean the ones with batteries), have some kind of Direct Injection circuitry. DI guitars goes back to having things like the classic electric guitar or bass, that doesn't have a powered circuit. If you need to put a battery in your guitar, you have a DI.

Each guitar is going to be a little different......When someone plugs their guitar into my desk, inserts the cable that I point to, that's going straight into my desk, they usually strum their guitar, and I can correct the settings for their guitar quickly...If I don't I just ask them for a quick strum.

It's nothing to worry about...most small acoustic gigs, the sound is so awful, so badly done on most of these gigs.....that one of the people who I do sound for was so disappointed with her new guitar, because it didn't sound distorted and glassy when it was put through the PA, and actually sounded like a guitar.....Have you any idea what it's like for someone like me, when I'm in a pub, and I hear a performer in the corner, doing a sound engineering travesty...But, I'll be the only person in the room who notices...Everyone else will be having a good time.

Advertisement