Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭pgj2015

He had his mother telling everyone he had a cold the time Nate beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

True or not its a smart move that throws a bit of doubt over the legitimacy of Khabibs win which will stroke the flames for a rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

pgj2015 wrote: »
    He had his mother telling everyone he had a cold the time Nate beat him.

Manflu, mate - massive difference.

*recall it was actually staph, I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

He didn't seem to have any broken foot when he was clinging them onto the fence when he was getting mauled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

After his next mauling the word will be leaked a few weeks after that he had a dodgy abrakebabra the week before and was still feeling poorly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Conor never makes excuses for his bad performances. Just let's us all know he had a cold, or a sore knee, or a damaged foot, or he was fighting an 8 foot tall 275lb monster, but definitely not making excuses.
    That bit is actually true though!

69dac34ce24f6e6084f34d510f7aac96.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

the pieces are fitting nicely into place for him to fight the winner of Max/Dustin. built in storylines, favourable stylistic matchups, sets up the Khabib rematch if he wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Am I the only one that thinks he won't fight again?? Or if he does that he won't win again??
    His lifestyle caught up with him. Goes out partying too much instead of training

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks he won't fight again?? Or if he does that he won't win again??
    His lifestyle caught up with him. Goes out partying too much instead of training

He may or may not fight again. He may or may not win again.
    But he lost to Khabib, possibly the best lightweight of all time. It's a massive leap from there to "he's lost it". MMA fans are fickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

lets just say the foot injury is true. I would have thought that the footage leading up to that fight would have had him hoppling or something.
    But I do remeber the speculation at the time, there was even the odd photo of him wearing footwear in training.

But based on what I know, I don't think it was broken, I think there may have been an injury of sorts. So I think he is exaggerating.
    But at the same time he is building a good story and as someone has mentioned puts a little bit of doubt over Khabibs performance (if you belive conor). More 4d chess or is that he is just in denial and he will get mauled again? I guess time will tell.

look forward to him fighing again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭clsmooth

There was a real lack of footage of him training before the fight. Even on the Maclife videos. Reckon they were trying to keep something under wraps so reckon the foot issue is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The Nal wrote: »
    True or not its a smart move that throws a bit of doubt over the legitimacy of Khabibs win which will stroke the flames for a rematch.

Ya wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ush1 wrote: »
    Ya wha?

Not for anyone sane but it will for a lot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

He's in SBG portlaoise, don't know if it's training or there is a comp on.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

John Kavanagh did Ariels show after the Khabib fight and basically said he didn’t think Conor shoud fight again . Surely if he had a broken foot Kavanagh would have mentioned something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Gonad wrote: »
    John Kavanagh did Ariels show after the Khabib fight and basically said he didn’t think Conor shoud fight again . Surely if he had a broken foot Kavanagh would have mentioned something

Not Kav's place to mention anything like that

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Gonad wrote: »

He knee was in pretty bad shape going into 189 and not much was made of it until that doc came out years later.

I think the foot was broken but don't think it changed what the outcome would've been. Khabib was a different level to Conor on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Sure didnt he have his foot wrapped up ? Or at least plasters or wraps on his toes ?

Seem to remember people picking up on that before the fight

Id like to see the fight again as he deffo wasnt himself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

A few mates put big money on Khabib after Mcgregors leg injury was confirmed didnt think it was a broken leg but it was serious enough. Fair play to him, deep down he must have knew he was going to lose but still fought and put on a show for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭xtal191

He sure looked fine in the open workouts for someone who broke their foot 3 weeks before. Maybe he hurt it before the fight but I def don't believe he broke it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Dana (yeah I know) sounding pretty bullish on CNN that Conor will be fighting soon again. Says they are talking everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dana (yeah I know) sounding pretty bullish on CNN that Conor will be fighting soon again. Says they are talking everyday.

I can just picture it "You hang up, no you hang up, nooo yooouuu hang up "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I think that the winner of tomorrow's fight is the perfect next move for him. Very sellable fight for either man. I think Holloway will just edge it.

I noted at the time that the camp seemed odd and his transfer stateside was delayed. Roddy had talked about flying over 'next week' - this was maybe 4 or 5 weeks out. That came and went with them still in Ireland.

Very late in camp - at a point when they would usually be a week or two away from the end of hard sparring - he brought Dashon from US to Ireland. Which was very unusual at that phase of camp...they're supposed to be moving stateside but instead they're flying a guy in the opposite direction, mere days before they all have to go stateside anyway.

This would all tie in with a broken foot and a disruption to the normal camp schedule.

holloway is good with his hands no doubt and his work rate is superb but many people play to his strengths and stand in front of him. talking about on different levels, check out how easily mcgregor at 145 made him look beaten. Though that was a different mcgregor who was unpredictable, didn't gas really and had a bruce lee elastic band type flow from switch kicks into long straight shots down the pipe..holloway could not figure him out and mcgregor did far from stand in range or wait to be hit...shame he fooked himself up really, mcgregor.
    in fact at that time it was his style of getting in and out, coupled with his power that made him fly through the 145'ers...MIDGETS as Diaz called them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭xtal191

sonofenoch wrote: »

I'm a fan of Conor (the fighter) and its ery possible he hurt his foot during the fight but come on look at the open workout video

Would someone with a broken foot be doing this?

0wdxyT.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

rusty cole wrote: »
    holloway is good with his hands no doubt and his work rate is superb but many people play to his strengths and stand in front of him. talking about on different levels, check out how easily mcgregor at 145 made him look beaten. Though that was a different mcgregor who was unpredictable, didn't gas really and had a bruce lee elastic band type flow from switch kicks into long straight shots down the pipe..holloway could not figure him out and mcgregor did far from stand in range or wait to be hit...shame he fooked himself up really, mcgregor.
    in fact at that time it was his style of getting in and out, coupled with his power that made him fly through the 145'ers...MIDGETS as Diaz called them :D
    He didn't stand with him because he couldn't, blowing his knee.

All the more impressive when you know he's basically on one leg for most of the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Pretty wtf Instagram stories now

Advertisement