Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

And the winner of dreamer of the year is... Part 2!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I agree, it's worth about zero seeing as it has no NCT and isn't driving.

Don't act like you wouldn't accept €550 to remove it though :)

To be fair, I know it's not an exciting model but it could be one for the barn. It's a Rover, in that colour green. If I turned up at a classic show in 20 years time, I would crane my neck momentarily to look at it and think back to my old ZR.

I had a 1998' 416 about 12 years back and it was a nightmare of a car, the 45 being a simple face lift with the same mechanical problems.. The HG went on mine and it couldnt be fixed, thats how hard it blew.. Valves needed replacing and the garage that looked at it wouldnt do it, he would only fit a recon engine into it which I declined. I scrapped it instead after getting similar second opinions. I knew the HG risk in these even when I was buying it.

If I took 550 to take it for free, the worst I could do then is give it away for free myself, but even that is hard with an old undesirable car with no source of parts backup anymore. Would insurance companies even insure a car like that anymore ? The inconvenience of taking it and towing it back to my house at my expense, then finding someone to come up and actually get the thing towed away at their expense, and any arsing around in between that. I truly wouldn't take it if you paid me 550 to do so. I'd say keep your money pal and take that thing to the River and I'll help you push it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Ah I wouldn't say its worthless now but all the same €550 is highly optimistic considering we had a running 2000 Corolla with a couple months tax and a dollop of NCT over in the Bangernomics thread asking €275 (that seems suspiciously cheap though - usually these things that are too good to be true are not true I have found).

The Rover might be of use to someone who does banger racing for example and a lot of them chaps would have a car trailer readily available. I know that some of them use Honda Civic engines (don't think the one in hand does though) and I believe most if not all of them use Honda mechanicals (open to correction on that too) so if that's the case there should be plenty of old Hondas about too to source an alternator from. Otherwise it might suit someone learning to drive who had their own private roadway or for young lads to tear around a field in during the Summer if it can be transported for them and the alternator got.

Not saying its worth €550, anything but, but I think its probably not fair to say its absolutely worthless either although you probably would want to be getting it for close to nothing. Its all a bit of a shame because it looks to be a spotless car from the snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Aside from the head gasket issue, which is admitted a complete PITA, they were otherwise somewhat dependable and the K-series was at one point the most powerful N.A. 1.4 was it not?

The head gasket failed in my ZR, after a head skim and the Rover replacement layered steel gasket it went on to give years of trouble free driving, mechanically at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

€7,500 for an 8 year old Astra salon. Old model.
    Crikey.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-astra-1-7-cdti-ecoflex-s-110ps/19883294

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

Don't have a link but when I was looking for a car last summer I had my eye on a TT in Cork.It was overpriced, I had been watching it for a few months and thought he would have to do a price drop and then I might be interested .Eventually he edited the ad to say if it wasn't bought by a certain date he was putting the price up by€1500!

You'd have to wonder what goes on in some peoples heads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

W123-80's wrote: »
    €7,500 for an 8 year old Astra salon. Old model.
    Crikey.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-astra-1-7-cdti-ecoflex-s-110ps/19883294
    Contact Kevin to arrange a test drive or to discuss this vehicle.

Buyer: Hello? Is Kevin there? I'd like to discuss the Astra.

Kevin: This is Kevin, how can I help?

Buyer: I'm just wondering if you're taking the piss with the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Ah I wouldn't say its worthless now but all the same €550 is highly optimistic considering we had a running 2000 Corolla with a couple months tax and a dollop of NCT over in the Bangernomics thread asking €275 (that seems suspiciously cheap though - usually these things that are too good to be true are not true I have found).

The Rover might be of use to someone who does banger racing for example and a lot of them chaps would have a car trailer readily available. I know that some of them use Honda Civic engines (don't think the one in hand does though) and I believe most if not all of them use Honda mechanicals (open to correction on that too) so if that's the case there should be plenty of old Hondas about too to source an alternator from. Otherwise it might suit someone learning to drive who had their own private roadway or for young lads to tear around a field in during the Summer if it can be transported for them and the alternator got.

Not saying its worth €550, anything but, but I think its probably not fair to say its absolutely worthless either although you probably would want to be getting it for close to nothing. Its all a bit of a shame because it looks to be a spotless car from the snaps.

The 1.6 automatic version of the 400 is the only version that uses a honda engine. The 45 doesn't use any honda engines and things like alternators and starters are completely different on a honda d series and a rover k series. The suspension, some body panels and some interior parts are all that's interchangeable.

Wiring is different on both cars but some switches and other items can be swapped over. The honda uses a valeo system for the keys and immobilizer and the rover uses a lucas system. Facelift 45s replaced the lucas system with a less reliable system.

Gearboxes are different too. The rover uses a peugeot gearbox which isn't the best(some used ford gearboxes also afaik).

Engines can't be easily swapped over either as the honda engine and rover k series have the timing belt on opppsite sides so the honda has the engine mount on the nearside and the rover's is on the offside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

"Interior is immaculate, mp3/cd player, Trd leather gear knob, original 20v clocks."

Subsequently posts no photos of said interior!

Also hate when adds say that you can get insurance for €200 or similar.
    Sure, but you could also get insurance for a few grand depending on who you are and what company, it's not like it's a set rate for this specific car!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

That's a contender for the year. And we are in Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Brabus gear knob :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

"V6 twin-engined, roadster BRABUS" sounds great!
    "that never made production" - oh right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

That's a death trap, and he's not even including the wheels in the sale ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

ongarite wrote: »

In fairness they were a good car.
    Not worth restoring though

If it were the 2.0 Williams, It'd be worth restoring but not at that price.

grahambo wrote: »
    In fairness they were a good car.
    Not worth restoring though

If it were the 2.0 Williams, It'd be worth restoring but not at that price.

Whatever about the price being totally unrealistic which it is at least he is honest and transparent about its condition. He goes to decent lengths to provide photos and mentions the rust twice in the ad, adding that it wont be a weekend job to rectify. That's refreshing. There probably were cars we all thought were bargains that had issues of a similar severity only the seller was not disclosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

My first car (18 years ago!!) was identical to that clio, except it was a 94, had no rust, and only had the 1.2 engine for inshoordnce..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

This is brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    This is brilliant

I've run it through Google Translate but it wasn't any help :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    This is brilliant

Not sure if it's an extra '0' or extra '1' in the '100 porsent'

Stealths and all, what a dream machine

It looks to be an absolute beaut. I love it too. What would the correct value of it be, given its apparent spotless condition?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I love it but it's dangerously overpriced.
    I dunno T, it's a desirable model and it's got very, madly, low mileage considering its age and the interior makes the mileage look legit(I'd like to see an engine bay shot). Given all that I'm not so sure it's a daft price. Maybe daft for Ireland?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I get what you're saying. It's the best example of one of those you're likely to find. I just think anyone into old Corollas with €9k to spend would rather an AE86. Personally I reckon it's a €4-5k car?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don’t get it. It’s not fast or RWD or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

I get what you're saying. It's the best example of one of those you're likely to find. I just think anyone into old Corollas with €9k to spend would rather an AE86. Personally I reckon it's a €4-5k car?
    Find me an AE86 with 55k in that condition for €9k. Actually, find me 10 of them and I'll buy them all.

If that car is in good shape, it's probably not that far off the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I don’t get it. It’s not fast or RWD or anything.

It's cool to a lot of lads who'd have done their time in a 88-92 two litre diesel non turbo Corolla van, myself included. I'd love it.

• Advertisement

Not sure if you meant that they would be buying one for €9k or adding more but if spending €9k I don't expect you would get much of a AE86. If adding more you would need to add a decent shot more to get a good ready to go one. The cheapest Irish reg ready to go AE86 on Donedeal I see is asking €17k (maybe it is/isin't overpriced)
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-ae86-twincam/21086866

To me that would mean that the AE86 is in a very different market on the basis of price alone.

Regarding the AE92 I wouldn't be very sure what the value is and that's why I asked the question. I think there aren't enough of them for sale on Donedeal anyway to be fair to draw conclusions. I'd be sort of leaning towards thinking while probably overpriced its not absolutely crazy of the mark at €9k given its apparent spotless condition and a strong fanbase across the country.

Advertisement