Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

organic farming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Did the Organic Principles Course with NOTS in Drumshanbo in 2019. They have two online May and July this year:
    https://nots.ie/events/organic-production-principles-online-may/

Well worth doing if considering organics.
    You'd want to devise a plan as to what enterprises you would put on the 40Ha.
    Can and would you do some tillage?
    For the cattle you could set some grass/red clover mix for silage. Great winter feeding and will largely finish cattle for you.
    Stocking is hard to judge as the grass will get a fair shock if it's used to a good bit of fert, but will bounce up a good bit after a year or two.

If you joined in 2 years time €220 x 40 Ha = €8,800/yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Matteyd

Are there any requirements on hedge cutting / forestry as an organic beef farmer? I see theres a lot of talk from teagasc about it increasing biodiversity, but it seems like thats mostly just through having mixed swards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Matteyd wrote: »
    Are there any requirements on hedge cutting / forestry as an organic beef farmer? I see theres a lot of talk from teagasc about it increasing biodiversity, but it seems like thats mostly just through having mixed swards.

Looking at Organic Trust info and forestry enterprise is simply left out. They like high hedges as a way of controlling spray drift from neighbours on the boundary.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

endainoz wrote: »
    My sticking rate was lower anyway to accommodate for the lie back area, this suited my system. If I were you I'd try to have a chat with a proper organic advisor to see what they might say.

Are you allowed to use slatted units in an organic set up?

Yes, up to 50% of the housing area can be slats, with an equally sized straw bedded lie back area. Around 2.5sq m of each per adult animal, total 5 sq m. Could go to 6 sq m for large cows. An old 3 bay leanto, straw bedded will do forty animals.

Generally don't do the annual flat top and sides annually on the hedgerows. Generally trim back sides every two years. The variations in height an important for different species of fauna. AFAIK there are no actual rules, more operating with the ethos and objectives of good farming practice.
    Iv'e done mob grazing last year and found animals browse much more, eating the growing tips of briars etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭manjou

You cannot bed the slats either. But grant under tams to replace slats with concrete slabs certived strong enough to take tractor

rounders wrote: »

Not sure what criteria Glenisk are applying as fully grass fed? In Austria and Germany seems it has to be non fermented hay not silage but they do allow some grain. They are using red clover silage bales I presume for their winter milk.
    20 bales/ac/yr would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭JohnChadwick

Are you allowed to be in the departments Organic Farming Scheme (OFS) for consecutive terms? To avail of the €170 per hectare rate after having already availed of the [2years x €220(inconversion) + 3years x €170(full symbol)] during the initial 5 year scheme.

Like when the scheme ends for me in 2023 I will consider stopping farming sucklers organically if there is no top up.

Would still use the same low-input soil-regenerating high-animal-welfare principles - but without the certification. Would be selling conventionally then obviously.

This will also give scope to bring down suckler numbers further and buy in some dairy calves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

For anyone on Twitter, there is a interesting page called IrelandsFarmers that has a different farmer control the page each week.

Last week was tomatoes, this week is a organic hill farmer for anyone that's interesting

https://twitter.com/IrelandsFarmers?s=20

• Advertisement

Are you allowed to be in the departments Organic Farming Scheme (OFS) for consecutive terms? To avail of the €170 per hectare rate after having already availed of the [2years x €220(inconversion) + 3years x €170(full symbol)] during the initial 5 year scheme.

Like when the scheme ends for me in 2023 I will consider stopping farming sucklers organically if there is no top up.

Would still use the same low-input soil-regenerating high-animal-welfare principles - but without the certification. Would be selling conventionally then obviously.

This will also give scope to bring down suckler numbers further and buy in some dairy calves too.

Honestly don't know the answer to consecutive (OFS).
    Don't know if you sell suckler weanlings but is carrying them on further and reducing cow numbers an option? there is a bit of an organic margin in the selling price of weanlings but I think it stretches out more the heavier the animal.
    If you can get Br Fr dairy calves, might be worth considering alright. Really think Holstein Fr wouldn't fare to well in a low input system.
    Think I'd hold on for a year or two to see how the new schemes pan out, incl the new REAP scheme. Which is basically multi species swards and low input pasture/meadow, plus a bit of tress and hedge planting.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭JohnChadwick

Water John wrote: »

Think I'd hold on for a year or two to see how the new schemes pan out, incl the new REAP scheme. Which is basically multi species swards and low input pasture/meadow, plus a bit of tress and hedge planting.

Yep same here, will be in the OFS until end of 2023 - so just thinking ahead for 2024 on. REAP starts in 2023 so not sure how the overlap will affect the OFS payment then - things like getting organic seed for MultiSpeciesSward will be tricky.

Also will be losing ground for new hedges which may impact the OFS payment. (I think there is some sort of 'reference area' in place for the BPS where these losses won't happen).

The application is gone in the post. Does anybody want to order a box of brac x polly grass fed beef for 2023?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

blue5000 wrote: »
    The application is gone in the post. Does anybody want to order a box of brac x polly grass fed beef for 2023?

The eco village will be delighted with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Same as today,twill be an interesting few years

Stocked very low here, not really a big fan of intensive farming.

Currently running around 60 sucklers.

Whats the best way to look in to organic?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Might be worth getting on to the 2 main organic bodies ,and asking are there any introduction courses coming up , ( prob on line if there are ) ,
    And if you reckon youre into it , and that your housing or feeding could work organically you could shell out for a visit from an organic advisor , and take it from there ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Might be worth getting on to the 2 main organic bodies ,and asking are there any introduction courses coming up , ( prob on line if there are ) ,
    And if you reckon youre into it , and that your housing or feeding could work organically you could shell out for a visit from an organic advisor , and take it from there ...

Will check it out, seems like a logical way to go if staying in beef

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭endainoz

Stocked very low here, not really a big fan of intensive farming.

Currently running around 60 sucklers.

Whats the best way to look in to organic?

Well you only have one day left to apply for the scheme so your a little late to the party!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Applied and hoping to get in,Think it will suit my system as i dont feed much ration but hope to possibly grow something to cover what i need.

It will be interesting to see how i survive without fertilizer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Applied and hoping to get in,Think it will suit my system as i dont feed much ration but hope to possibly grow something to cover what i need.

It will be interesting to see how i survive without fertilizer

If you're stitching in clover, and your p and k levels are reasonable then that shouldn't be a problem ,
    You might have to adapt your housing a bit ,
    If you can grow a bit of cereal ,and include it in your reseeding then all the better ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

NOTS have Organic Course on line both in May and July:
    https://nots.ie/events/holistic-planned-grazing-online-may/

So Blue and Joe have come over to the dark side, welcome.

endainoz wrote: »
    Well you only have one day left to apply for the scheme so your a little late to the party!

I hope that includes tomorrow, ha

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭manjou

The thing to remember is the first 2 years are the hardest as you and the land have to adapt to new regieme but there are organic alternatives to alot of stuff
    And grass will grow without artifical n but will take a couple of years to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

manjou wrote: »
    The thing to remember is the first 2 years are the hardest as you and the land have to adapt to new regieme but there are organic alternatives to alot of stuff
    And grass will grow without artifical n but will take a couple of years to get going.

Tell me, what do organic farmers do instead of artificial fertiliser?
    Is there an organic alternative?

I am not organic, but at the same time, I would be interested in moving away from chemical fertiliser if I knew what alternatives were there...

I am not organic, but at the same time, I would be interested in moving away from chemical fertiliser if I knew what alternatives were there...

Red clover and italian ryegrass for silage.

There's no way around saying it but you'll struggle to get two cuts of silage on an organic meadow. Slurry is grand to use, as is FYM but your fields would want to be well managed to get it. Add to that, meadows that would be used to getting chemical fert would go into a "shocked" phase of withdrawal when they don't have a deep root system to get all the minerals from the ground. This can be fixed with adding clover into the mix and possibly planting multi species swards instead of just ryegrass.

It does look like drought resistance might be a factor in the future as we've had two fairly long droughts in the last few years and multi species swards could be used to combat this.

I've had two silage seasons in organics and have had mixed results. The summer of 2019 went fine, crop was quite good and it was a good growthy summer. Last summer didn't go as well and crops were quite light. For the season coming it won't be touched until July, and hopefully the broadcasted clover will make a positive impact on the growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Red clover and italian ryegrass for silage.

Don’t make silage Blue...

I suppose I am more looking to see what can be done to improve existing grassland...
    I don’t have dung or slurry either really, so looking to see what I can do to improve things...

• Advertisement

Don’t make silage Blue...

I suppose I am more looking to see what can be done to improve existing grassland...
    I don’t have dung or slurry either really, so looking to see what I can do to improve things...

I think clover into the sward would be a fairly cheap and simple method to get nitrogen fixed into your soil. Teagasc have a great piece written on it. Link for pdf download below

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2017/8-Introducing-white-clover-into-existing-swards-and-getting-variety-choice-right.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiTnpaRoqTwAhUHTRUIHWEUAGsQFjACegQIFxAC&usg=AOvVaw0l82Xe4ACzh7nRlSt1rdgX&cshid=1619727268193

Advertisement