Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senna

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Is it still on there this week? I really want to see this film.
    Yep you can also see it in IFI or the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

emailed the Omniplex in cork to ask why there's just one showing next week, they sent me this back..
    Senna is on very limited release - the movie makers will only show it for one show. We have asked for more but they tell us they don't have the budget.

So am I right in thinking the movie doesn't have a distributor?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

Roar wrote: »
    emailed the Omniplex in cork to ask why there's just one showing next week, they sent me this back..

So am I right in thinking the movie doesn't have a distributor?

It's distributed by Universal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Went to it tonight. Thought it was amazing. Brought back so many memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Saw this last week and really enjoyed it. Like a poster above me said it may benefit people who are unaware of the Senna phenomenon was/is and I'm one of those. Not an F1 fan so went in pretty blind on the strength of its reviews.

Really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Saw this tonight - completely blown away. My heart was thumping for the last 30/40 mins knowing what was coming. Wouldn't hesitate in recommending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Saw it yesterday - pretty impressed. By its nature the film was constrained to using the available footage, which explains why there was so little on Senna's teenage years in karting, for example. I just found myself wondering whether there could have been more on his personal life, but on reflection I doubt it would have improved the film. He wasn't a very interesting character, by all accounts, when he wasn't driving, so I don't blame the film-makers for concentrating on that.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Seen the film last night and the man himself came across as an arrogant person who would do any amount of back stabbing to get his way. The film itself was'nt bad but i would'nt be telling people to rush out and see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Seen the film last night and the man himself came across as an arrogant person who would do any amount of back stabbing to get his way. The film itself was'nt bad but i would'nt be telling people to rush out and see it.

what back stabbing did he do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I wouldnt be the biggest fan of formula one but I do enjoy watching it occasionally, after checking this film out I look at some of the current drivers a lot differently now, they dont even have half the style or nerves of senna, I never watched him race live im regretting that now, what a guy and great film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Roar wrote: »
    what back stabbing did he do?

I think he's talking about the film Prost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

christ almighty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Saw Senna last night in Dungarvan. Pre-booked my ticket two weeks ago and I am glad I did as the cinema was full. I thought it was an excellent doc and will appeal even to non-petrol heads. We all know the ending and its a terrible ending. But the film shows what a driven man Senna was and the obstacles placed in front of him. My one quibble would be its treatment of Alain Prost the French F1 driver who is made out to be an awful bastard. There are two sides to every story. I give it the thumbs up and its different from the usual fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Poly wrote: »
    agreed. looks fantastic. i hope it comes out here in original language.

The little guy you see on the jet skis in the Trailer is Bruno Senna, Ayrtons nephew, who was last year a F1 driver and is hoping to get back into F1.

He looks uncannily like him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Whatever you think about Prost, it's worth remembering that he happily contributed to the film, and related his side of the story in it. The facts of what he did at the '89 Japanese Grand Prix are clear to me from the video evidence, only some of which was shown in the film: whether planned or not, he tried to take Senna out, turning in before the normal turn-in point - then ran to the stewards when Senna got going again.

PS: interest in Formula 1 history has definitely been kicked off in Hollywood, and I wonder how much is down to this film? Ron Howard has just signed on to direct Rush, a biopic of Niki Lauda.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I didnt read a review, I didnt see a trailer so I had no expectations going into this film

I thought it was very good, I was blown away by the amount of archive footage they had and how they put it together. I think it have made the documentary better to show more of the dangerous style he had and not make it out to be a figment of Prosts' imagination or an excuse.

Not enough Murray Walker either!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Saw this last night in Cork Mahon Omniplex. Very good I thought and definitely no need to be a 'F1 head' to find it interesting. Word of warning: arrived 15 mins early (21.00 showing) expecting to wander into the usual half-empty Wednesday cinema. Boy was I wrong! It was absolutely packed and even at that stage there was a queue of maybe 200 ticket holders waitiing to get into it (just for Senna, not other films). Virtually every seat in the cinema itself was taken too. So get there very early or book online! They seem to have extended its run into next week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Dempsey wrote: »
    Not enough Murray Walker either!

Given Americans' famous disinterest in F1, thought it was fairly ironic alright that the most featured commentator was American!

Given Americans' famous disinterest in F1, thought it was fairly ironic alright that the most featured commentator was American!

It was also an award winner at sundance

• Advertisement

Tried to watch the 2.40 minute version today but couldn't get into. Will give it another go in a day or so but it seems to be a film that you really have to be in the mood for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Tried to watch the 2.40 minute version today but couldn't get into. Will give it another go in a day or so but it seems to be a film that you really have to be in the mood for.
    I wasn't particularly in the mood to watch it but it gripped me from the word go. I heard it was good and didn't have too much of an interest in the subject matter so I said I'd give it a go. Fantastic film.

Yeah it's really one that you can throw on at any time and just become engrossed in it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Castroman

Easily the best film I've seen this year.. Pure driving, real racing..that makes me happy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is there a longer version of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I hope so. I'd love to see it if it does exist, personally. Was engrossed the whole way through it and wanted to see more of it once it ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Didnt get to see this, couldnt convince the gf it was my turn or do go the one day it was on :( Bring on the dvd :rolleyes:

There is a 162 minute extended version floating around.

bnt wrote: »
    Whatever you think about Prost, it's worth remembering that he happily contributed to the film, and related his side of the story in it.

PS: interest in Formula 1 history has definitely been kicked off in Hollywood, and I wonder how much is down to this film? Ron Howard has just signed on to direct Rush, a biopic of Niki Lauda.

I dont know if thats true. The footage is original footage from the time. He had no idea it would be used in a film later on or in such a manner.

Thats great to hear about Niki Lauda - looking forward to seeing that!

• Advertisement

There was some voice-over from Prost though...can't remember if it was from back then or more recent (something to do with his style of driving, how it was going to go against him some day).

Advertisement