Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mitsubishi Pajero 2000-2002 2.5 or 3.2d?

• 17-11-2010 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

has anybody experience of these jeeps? I'm looking at the moment for something like this but if anyone has any insider knowledge i'd appreciate it thanks... I have about 5k to spend so if anyone has any other suggestions for a commercial 4x4 it would also be appreciated..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 fastbowler

title should read 2000-2002

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

fastbowler wrote: »
    has anybody experience of these jeeps? I'm looking at the moment for something like this but if anyone has any insider knowledge i'd appreciate it thanks... I have about 5k to spend so if anyone has any other suggestions for a commercial 4x4 it would also be appreciated..
    Having had an 02 2.5 we moved up to an 06 3.2! If you can afford it,go for the 3.2,its quicker,better to pull and not alot harder on diesel! Were on our 4th pajero and have to say there a great jeep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Be aware that the injector pump is a weak point on the 3.2

I don't know if it gives trouble on the 2.5 but the 3.2 definitely has issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tdi4motion

the older pajero 1991 to 1999 was very good,i had one it was a jap import and done everything on the farm,gave not a days trouble,i bought a second hand replacement (2003) about 6mths ago and the 4x4 wouldnt work,its electromechanical and gives alot of trouble i hear,ive sold it on since,looked at other 2.5 pajeros and they had the same problem,didnt buy for that reason,pity cos they are a very comfortable machine,
    now i have a 2006 landcruiser,they have a manual selecter for 4x4,that shouldnt give much trouble....there are loads of them about,half the country cant be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Everything I read when researching for ours pointed to avoiding the 2.5 as there really is nothing to make it better than the 3.2. The 2.5 is slower, has a timing belt (3.2 have timing chain) and there really is little in the way of difference between the fuel consumption. 3.2 is more powerful and smoother and all-round a better motor.

Oh and if you go with a LWB you won't have a choice - they're only available with the 3.2 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

The dual mass flywheel will break(about €1200-€1600 +labour) , the timing chain tensioners will follow shortly afterwards which means replacing the chain, the tensioners and the guides.

Top Dog wrote: »
    Everything I read when researching for ours pointed to avoiding the 2.5 as there really is nothing to make it better than the 3.2. The 2.5 is slower, has a timing belt (3.2 have timing chain) and there really is little in the way of difference between the fuel consumption. 3.2 is more powerful and smoother and all-round a better motor.

Oh and if you go with a LWB you won't have a choice - they're only available with the 3.2 ;)

The timing belt on the Pajeros is a far better set up than the chain's.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

The timing belt on the Pajeros is a far better set up than the chain's.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

the timing chain tensioners will follow shortly afterwards which means replacing the chain, the tensioners and the guides.

How does this manifest itself? Is it a disco warning light scenario, or does something go pop?

Slidey, re the injector pump issues, is this more where someone has run out of diesel and sucks a load of dirt out of the ass of the tank or is there something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Slidey, re the injector pump issues, is this more where someone has run out of diesel and sucks a load of dirt out of the ass of the tank or is there something else?
    I don't know. I was told just letting it run out of diesel and having the pump run dry is enough to knacker it.

The symptoms are failing to start or hard starting and refusing to rev up

• Advertisement

How does this manifest itself? Is it a disco warning light scenario, or does something go pop?

If not caught soon enough the chain breaks and the engine goes pop. No warning lights but they get rattley though a few owners have said that there was no noise before the chain broke.

Might be an interesting read for you - http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8926 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 colinJX90

Top Dog wrote: »

I really cant express enough hate for 3.2 pajero's when there working there fine but when they break which the most definetely will break either by timing chain or injector pump it will cost you dearly as it will cost you between 1500- 2000 euro to have a second hand engine fitted with a new timing chain kit or its around 2000 to recondition a 3.2 pump, a 2.5 yes i will admit they are a bit slower but they will pull as ive had 2 of them and were great jeeps just the rust in the 2000-2006 model pajero's were abit of an issue, i'd prefer a timing belt over a timing chain anyday, you will have to change a timing chain i dont care what anybody says they will come loose and slip atleast a belt you know you have to replace it evry so often so you know you have to do it. basically ya'l have no power when they break so ya might aswell buy a 2.5

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ItsLikeThis

I have a 2004 2.5. Apart from the stupid super select system they have, its a very capable machine. I only use it to tow the boat so its not a big issue for me. Don't know if i could live with driving it everyday though. Landcruiser is a much nicer drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 colinJX90

ya the super select is a bit of a balls alright, you should look on youtube for some fault videos to find out what is wrong with yours

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

colinJX90 wrote: »
    ya the super select is a bit of a balls alright, you should look on youtube for some fault videos to find out what is wrong with yours

I had ab 05 3.2 n can't rate them highly enough. Only sold it to get a lwe which I still have and love

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

What are peoples thoughts on 2004+ pajeros 2.5 or 3.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭new2me

the old 99 ones give head trouble but didnt the 3.2 give trouble with injector pumps

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Bigsliothar

Had both.2.5 all day for reliability

new2me wrote: »
    the old 99 ones give head trouble but didnt the 3.2 give trouble with injector pumps
    They sure did. The pump fitted from 2000-06 was greasy expensive to replace. Surprisingly Mitsubishi listened or paid attention to feedback, and changed pump supplier from 2007 (mk4) onwards. Still not cheap, but you'd have change from 1k where before it was 2.5k just for the pump.

• Advertisement
Advertisement