Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I paddled today thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Paddled a rented sit-on-top down the Dordogne from Carsac downriver in France last Thursday - gorgeous weather but a crowded river! At least 200+ other kayakers or canoe'ists overtaken or passed by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Paddled from Balbriggan out towards Rockabill lighthouse today in very calm waters. It was my first ever paddle of any significant distance out at sea and I really enjoyed it. Had a few curious seals for company and had the current with me on the way back. It was very pleasant in the evening sun! I may have caught the bug!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

It was my fourth time on the river today. Still a bit nervous. My instructor brought me up to Lucan today to have a look at the sluice. He wasn't expecting the water levels to be where they were, something like 3megs released from the dam so the sluice was one scary looking bast*rd:eek:

There was no way I was going down it, he wasn't going to let me anyway. It was my first experience of fast moving water and we did some ferry gliding practice, I nearly made it over on the last attempt but the water was too strong for my weakling strokes :rolleyes: and I got pushed down river, still it was good to experience.

The other lad with us has about 6 months experience and he ran the sluice. It ate him good, he lost control on the approach and capsized heading into it, he got tossed out of it pretty quick and came up on a T rescue.

We headed down toward to the Lucan weir and we did some X rescue drills on the way down which were good crack especially in the fast water.
    I ran the weir at Lucan, it was some drop! Made it to the eddy and capsized by turning too quick without controlling the edge well enough.

It was a great day all in all, some hair raising moments and some good skills practiced.

It was back to the club last night for some technique drills.

We covered some ferry gliding across the river, front and back with a larger focus on lifting the edge. We went then into low brace turns, again with an emphasis on the edge. I capsized twice on this turn initially but got it down later on in the evening. We went then into sweep stroke combo's and a couple combination drills where I had to ferry glide across to one side, low brace turn mid way, paddle backwards to the bank and then paddle with speed back across. That went ok for me.

To finish as we moved back down the river to the club house I touched on the draw stroke which was a difficult little pig to master!

The lads went down the weir then and played around in the standing wave. Great session all in all. We have a rescue course tonight, should be good!

Liffey, Cold, Hypothermia, sore hands. Good day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Lots of fun was had pushing boats down snowy hills :D

Made the line through sluice today for the first time. The last time I tried I ended up stuck to a tree with no paddle and that was before the wave! Today the preparation was perfect, I followed Ger's (my instructor) line down keeping the nose pointing river right. Paddy was behind me just in case, made it onto the wave, leaned forward and paddled like hell but the bump off it was too much and not even the best high brace in the world saved me and over I went for a few seconds, came up on the nose of Ger's boat. Delighted I made the line though and it was tankin' as well. That's one head fcuk nailed, next time won't be so daunting.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Good job dude, but easy up on the high bracing, they're not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

done a wee bit of boating since the thaw. missed a lot of the best water unfortunately. yesterday got a new first on a river i found over a decade ago, but only got it clear of trees this summer. nice short and steep little creek. hoping to hit it again soon with more water.
    166648_191677650846952_161478637200187_810007_6040643_n.jpg

also spent the down-time editing up some purty videos. footage was taken by Peter Martin for some projects he needed some kayaking on. paddling is not flash, but the camerawork is to die for.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ0ahmPcJuo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJzIXmp7NJE

wet-paint wrote: »
    Good job dude, but easy up on the high bracing, they're not good.

In fairness I think it was more flailing than anything else :D but I hear ya, need to keep the shoulders in tact!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

done a wee bit of boating since the thaw. missed a lot of the best water unfortunately. yesterday got a new first on a river i found over a decade ago, but only got it clear of trees this summer. nice short and steep little creek. hoping to hit it again soon with more water.
    166648_191677650846952_161478637200187_810007_6040643_n.jpg

also spent the down-time editing up some purty videos. footage was taken by Peter Martin for some projects he needed some kayaking on. paddling is not flash, but the camerawork is to die for.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ0ahmPcJuo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJzIXmp7NJE

You don't fancy doing up a short review for IWW, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BOOF IT STEVE

A cold but fun trip down the dereen with TKC

wet-paint wrote: »
    You don't fancy doing up a short review for IWW, do you?

the river guides i have for our local rivers are available here: http://sligokayakclub.com/river%20guide.html
    i wont write guides for the new rivers that i dont know well yet. i wait until i have paddled them in various water levels, until i know the river, access, etc well. then i write the guides. we have only paddled this new river twice. it needs some good saw work to be made safe and i need to speak with local land owners before i set the info about it into the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

You have some good guides there! Could you put them on IWW too, as I'm sure it could be usefull to plenty of people who wouldn't visit Sligo Kayak Club's site too often?

KenHy wrote: »
    You have some good guides there! Could you put them on IWW too, as I'm sure it could be usefull to plenty of people who wouldn't visit Sligo Kayak Club's site too often?
    if anyone fancies transfering my guides over onto IWW, then go for it. just so long as the article submitted links back to the original article and gives correct credits i dont mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BOOF IT STEVE

Crackin' days paddling today. We ventured down the Avonmore from the put in opposite little Jacksons and headed down to Clara vale church. The water was up around medium to high in places. I made massive improvements on this trip, pulled out two rolls and had no swims, eddy catching is becoming much sharper too.

We pulled out at the picnic spot after running the wave trains and did it all again except this time I had to catch the eddy further up which was much sharper, and made it :D

We headed down to the Clara Lara slides then for a bit of banter and a flask of tea.
    After that we headed on down and did some more level 3 skills, ferry gliding is much easier now but the big step up was edge control heading over eddy lines.

I even managed a half arsed boof off a very small rock for the crack! It was like pulling a wheelie over a ramp on your BMX when you were 7 :p you think your wheel goes really high put it doesn't :o

Also met Kipper on the river at little jacksons he was doing a photo shoot for a magazine. Anyone know him? Meant to be sh1t hot.

I'll have a video soon I hope to share :)

Ventured up to the Boyne today, it was time to don the aul playboat for a change of scenery as the last few trips on the Avonmore were all in the river runner. I knew the river would be high but fcuk me :eek: it was tanking when we pulled in at Slane to have a gander. The Animal was washed over and lots of big whirl pools were circulating on this side of the bridge. On came the dry mouth and the need for a few toilet trips :o

There was only four of us, me L2 and the three others at L4 going for 5 so I was in good company. The objective of the day was to push the adventure zone out and have a wet and wild day and that's exactly what happened. I made it up and over every weir but the edges on the PB proved a right challenge as I straightened up post the drop, I had a couple of swims but the first one was gas, the deck imploded and the boat filled up with water and sank like a stone with me still in it :D all I was interested in was saving me new rough stuff paddles :cool:

Anyway it was a blast of a day and very interesting to see all the features that would normally be quite tame on normal water levels turn into beasts. You'd want to see the wave at the Slane Castle weir!! It was like tidal I kid you not, but what a rush heading into it and up and over it to hit a stopper on the far side and then catapulted upside down like a rollercoaster!

We must be mad!

Nice day out on the Inney river Longford at medium/high level. Getting closer to getting my cartwheel in the hole, and had lovely surf on the green wave. Also had my first swim in a long time. I always do it in the sillyist places :o

Slane Castle weir:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E780WYMxchI

I was the middle guy.... and I held in ;)

• Advertisement

I had a lovely surf in Tulan Co. Donegal at the weekend. Place was crawling with kayakers, surf kayakers and waveski's. Got cag rash on my neck that looks like a giant hickey. Great impression I made on my first day of new job :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vintage01

Truley wrote: »
    I had a lovely surf in Tulan Co. Donegal at the weekend. Place was crawling with kayakers, surf kayakers and waveski's. Got cag rash on my neck that looks like a giant hickey. Great impression I made on my first day of new job :P

There was a kayak surf comp on there on Saturday. Its nice to be out with loads of paddlers sometimes keeps the boardies in check!

vintage01 wrote: »
    There was a kayak surf comp on there on Saturday. Its nice to be out with loads of paddlers sometimes keeps the boardies in check!

The poor boardies were terrified! And rightly so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 black spot

I've only been kayaking once, last year from Fermoy Rowing Club out to the Flatley pile & back again. I loved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

First time out this year.

Went up river to Templehouse lake. Nice view of Templehouse from the river.

Was just in Tshirt and shorts, would have gotten out dry but I have no stoppers for the kayak. Anyone know an irish stockist for RTM kayaks that will have the stoppers, google has failed me along with Call of the Wild in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Hello all. Just noticed this forum, great to see fellow Kayaking addicts on Boards! Have been living in New Zealand the last few years so have been lucky to do some deadly white and salt water kayaking.

This is the lovely Marlborough Sounds on the top of the South Island.

P1030238.JPG

P1030212.JPG

P1030204.JPG

P1030218.JPG

Some more photos here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/plclancy/MarlboroughSounds?authkey=Gv1sRgCKf6gMWhkPrDvQE&feat=directlink

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

yomchi wrote: »
    Slane Castle weir:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E780WYMxchI

I was the middle guy.... and I held in ;)

Those little Kayaks look great fun and the weir seriously good fun! Cool video.

SOme stunning photos!

The little Kayaks are playboats, designed to be sporty in fast water. Lots of edge catching going on :)

Great day on the boyne today, the S bends were the scene for my first 'real life' combat roll, what a feeling :D
    There were kayakers to beat the band up there today, nice to meet you all :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Here is a short video of what I spent my Eater Sunday doing!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y48ySk8vsgI&feature=feedwll

Cant beat hanging around in the caves and caverns of our wonderful coastline!!!

Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

Advertisement