Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Horizons

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

nh_zoom_bary_03-final.gif

:)

So heres the latest, possible snow cap.

newhorizons_plutospin_apr2015.gif.CROP.original-original.gif

Scientists suggest this brightening in Pluto's polar region might be caused by a "cap" of highly reflective snow on the surface. The "snow" in this case is likely to be frozen molecular nitrogen ice. New Horizons observations in July will determine definitively whether or not this hypothesis is correct.

nh-weaver_2.jpg?itok=eZA477e0

http://www.nasa.gov/pluto042915

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

From that Pluto looks either misshapen or a funny colour in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I'm just amazed they got that detail out of those four raw images! There's what, 40-50 pixels to work with??
    Great work. Cant wait for the flyby!

I'm just amazed they got that detail out of those four raw images! There's what, 40-50 pixels to work with??
    Great work. Cant wait for the flyby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

When can we expect to get up close and personal with Pluto?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Big accomplishment for human kind !

The first thought that came in my mind is we are really struggling to discover about our solar system's 9 planets while in Star Trek they are walking across galaxies... Big Q is: when ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

mg1982 wrote: »
    When can we expect to get up close and personal with Pluto?

Closest approach and flyby of Pluto will be 14th July 2015. Two and a half months to go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Closest approach and flyby of Pluto will be 14th July 2015. Two and a half months to go!!!

But it will take months more to download the images. The connection is slower than dialup over a 20 mile Eircom line.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But it will take months more to download the images. The connection is slower than dialup over a 20 mile Eircom line.
    http://www.geek.com/science/new-horizons-probe-has-a-1-kilobit-per-second-data-connection-from-pluto-1614967/

1Kb/s :eek:
    Its optical camera, known as the Long Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI) takes 1024 x 1024 resolution images, each of which are 2.5 megabits (0.3125 megabytes) uncompressed. To send that one image back to Earth takes 42 minutes. And you thought your Comcast connection was slow.
    The biggest bottleneck, though, is the fact that New Horizons can’t send data back to Earth all day every day. There’s a lot of competition for time on the Deep Space Network’s three 70-meter dishes, and the New Horizons team is lucky to get one 8-hour session per day. Additionally, New Horizons can’t acquire new data and send data back at the same time. It’s one or the other.

Yes the images will be compressed so it won't be all that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

http://www.geek.com/science/new-horizons-probe-has-a-1-kilobit-per-second-data-connection-from-pluto-1614967/

1Kb/s :eek:

Yes the images will be compressed so it won't be all that bad

They need to get the Deep Space Network out of the 90s and upgrade it to fibre. :pac:

• Advertisement

Are you telling me they dont have broadband on pluto? What have they been doing on that planet the last millennia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Rubecula wrote: »
    From that Pluto looks either misshapen or a funny colour in places.

I agree.... it looks to have a protrusion on the side opposite Charon.
    It could be an illusion caused by the snow caps (if that's what they are)?
    Or is could be a collided satellite or asteroid that hasn't yet been absorbed and
    assimilated by Pluto's gravity.
    We should know more by mid month when the next new photos are scheduled.
    Plutos end of its reciprocal (or dumbbell) orbit with Charon seems somewhat "jerky", which is what might be expected from an off balance sphere.
    Again it could just be a photographic effect caused by the crude pixelation.
    One way or the other we have exciting days ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I read it was even slower ... like 0.25 KB sec ... so even though it's a quick flyby it will feel like an orbital mission cos it will take over a year to get all the photo data ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

What is very interesting in the attached here link is the level of "knowledge" today to process a black and white no-sense image in the most left side and get so many results, as in the two pictures right side !

nh-styx-kerberos-loop-larger.gif

PS
    while searching for info, i got a 404 page not found...very funny :)

348722.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Brancott

nh-stern_7.gif?itok=BmdqnCDl

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Brancott

NASA’s New Horizons Detects Surface Features, Possible Polar Cap on Pluto

http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-new-horizons-detects-surface-features-possible-polar-cap-on-pluto

This just keeps getting better!

Brancott wrote: »
    NASA’s New Horizons Detects Surface Features, Possible Polar Cap on Pluto

http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-new-horizons-detects-surface-features-possible-polar-cap-on-pluto

Pluto is beginning to look like the most misshapen planet in the solar system.
    (I know, I know, but I still think of it as a planet)
    Could be that it's an amalgam of smaller Kuiper Belt objects that hasn't had the required aeons to form itself into the classic spherical shape?
    If so, its research potential as a planetary kindergarten will be enormous.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pluto is beginning to look like the most misshapen planet in the solar system.
    (I know, I know, but I still think of it as a planet)
    Could be that it's an amalgam of smaller Kuiper Belt objects that hasn't had the required aeons to form itself into the classic spherical shape?
    If so, its research potential as a planetary kindergarten will be enormous.
    It's not the Roche limit but what's the thing where gravity makes things circular because they aren't strong enough to stand up to their own weight ?

more coffee needed

well anyway Pluto would be very cold and things like Ice would be rock hard so less deformation. or it could be that it just hasn't had time to collapse yet.

well anyway Pluto would be very cold and things like Ice would be rock hard so less deformation. or it could be that it just hasn't had time to collapse yet.

Pluto is a sphere, guys, it's just patchy.

• Advertisement

Pluto is a sphere, guys, it's just patchy.

You may well be right... but I hope you're wrong.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's not the Roche limit but what's the thing where gravity makes things circular because they aren't strong enough to stand up to their own weight ?

more coffee needed

Hydrostatic equilibrium. It's one of the defining characteristics of a dwarf planet though, so Pluto has to be some sort of oblate spheroid or it will be in for a further downgrade.

Hydrostatic equilibrium. It's one of the defining characteristics of a dwarf planet though, so Pluto has to be some sort of oblate spheroid or it will be in for a further downgrade.
    Oblate spheroid ya say! Time to step back from the coffee!
    It does look lumpy as hell though. Maybe its just a camera exposure thing. More pics needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

shedweller wrote: »
    Oblate spheroid ya say! Time to step back from the coffee!
    It does look lumpy as hell though. Maybe its just a camera exposure thing. More pics needed!

It's still 55,000,000 kilometres from Pluto. Too early to say if it is indeed an odd shape or just a camera exposure and resolution effect. Pluto is pretty small so it's still little more than a speck to the spacecraft:

18222407775_c248575078_o.png

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's still 55,000,000 kilometres from Pluto. Too early to say if it is indeed an odd shape

Pluto is much larger than Ceres, and Ceres is already big enough to be spherical. We knew from Hubble that Pluto was patchy.

Pluto is much larger than Ceres, and Ceres is already big enough to be spherical. We knew from Hubble that Pluto was patchy.

Patchy ...but not lumpy.

Patchy ...but not lumpy.

That's because it IS patchy, but not lumpy.

That's because it IS patchy, but not lumpy.

We'll talk again in the middle of June....by which time it should be resolved, one way or the other.

July 14 is when it arrives at pluto.

• Advertisement

mg1982 wrote: »
    July 14 is when it arrives at pluto.

Yes ...but by the middle of June it will be approx 36 million K from Pluto and near enough for the cameras to resolve our "Lumpy" dispute.

Advertisement