Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The returned home world war 1

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Brilliant!!! Ernest Walton.

No contest.

The only Irishman to win a Nobel Prize for something other than poetry or peacemaking.

Helps promote our science heritage (not inconsiderable) and encourage our young people to be something other than pennilies pisspot poets or cannon fodder for other people's wars.

Has to be.

He now has THREE recommendations. :)

Thanks for making us aware of this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0516/450633-bridge-shortlist/

Shortlist (which is quite long) out now...surprised to see "The Returned Home" has made the list.

I'm still voting any of the women named.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Mine didn't come home from WW1 unfortunately.

Nor did mine.

D/9947 Pte William Victor Collins 6DG + 21 June 1917.

RIP, granddad.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I like 'The Way Home Bridge'.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

pinkypinky wrote: »

I'm still voting any of the women named.

Very sexist Pinky, unless of course you are including Oscar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Very sexist Pinky, unless of course you are including Oscar.

Just looking to redress the balance! :p

Liffey Bridges: 11 named after men, none after women.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Sorry pinky, I have to disagree with you. I'm a female but I wouldn't vote for someone just because they are female. They have to deserve my vote for more than just being born female. They had no control over that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Well it's been named after someone called 'Rosie Hackett', never heard of her but I suppose you Dubs get the councillors you deserve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Well it's been named after someone called 'Rosie Hackett', never heard of her but I suppose you Dubs get the councillors you deserve :)

You have now, which is the point. Most people with knowledge of the citizens army and/or trade unionism know if her, a very good choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Never heard of Rosie Hackett until today. Have to say Hackett Bridge is a good strong name for a bridge though. Much like Rosie herself, from what I learned about her today.

Funny how we don't hear about some things. Wonder what else we should know about.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I would have gone for Willie Bermingham myself but if it highlights a forgotten person of the early Labour struggle that's fine. There is a little park nearby named after Elizabeth Farrell who carried the surrender flag in 1916. I understand that she acted as a courier throughout Easter Week. These are all little pieces of history which should be highlighted by plaques in the appropriate areas and would be of interest to Irish and tourists

Advertisement