Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New, unregistered Irish-bought car from 1976 - where do I start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭CoBo55

alfa beta wrote: »
    Hi Cobo - my brother has decided to try his hand at getting that back on the road. I'll be dropping it to him in the next few days (It's a bit of a cross country trek!) - However, if it ends up sitting in another shed or if he changes his mind I'll keep you posted!!

It should fire up easily enough, if she lives could you make a short video I haven't heard a cub in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

CoBo55 wrote: »
    It should fire up easily enough, if she lives could you make a short video I haven't heard a cub in years.

Will do :-)

Jaysus keep the Merc at least! What a beauty!! I'd give my right arm and possibly my left to be in your situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Jaysus keep the Merc at least! What a beauty!! I'd give my right arm and possibly my left to be in your situation.

I'd say 99% of the posters on this thread would do it he same, me included! I'd be over the moon with an empty shed, let alone the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have a feeling your old man would have got on rather handsomely with mine!!!

You're right - they seem of the same ilk.

Keep the Merc. I wouldn't even aim for showroom standard - the way I look at is, they were never showroom when in everyday use, so that not really how they were. Think 'oily rag' resto.

One thing I dont want to do to ours is have it super shiney. They were never 2-pack shiney even when they were new !!

At one point my Dad had two at the same time: a 220s and a 220SEb - here they are in a too-short driveway in Caherdavin in Limerick in about 1972.....you can't see the front of the SEb. It has the twin stack lights unlike the single big ones of the S.

He paid the Ever Ready Garage in Donnybrook the princely sum of £880 for the SEb in.....1968 ?? A one owner, ex diplomatic corps car.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

galwaytt wrote: »
    here they are in a too-short driveway in Caherdavin in Limerick in about 1972.

Great photo - it's not too many houses that would have had two Mercs parked outside like that back then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Great photo - it's not too many houses that would have had two Mercs parked outside like that back then!!
    Was he a gov. minister?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Bif wrote: »
    Was he a gov. minister?

Lolz no, a builder. Collecting Veehickles obviously started early... :pac: The 220s was subsequently sold to an uncle of mine, and the SEb kept.

I came across old negatives which I'm playing around with digitising atmo, and came across pics of his first car, and his second - see attached - and yes, like this was in a different time & place, them's are chickens......

Note the bonnet badge on the black car - same one was on the steering wheel- prior to the use of "VW" as badge, it's the old Wolfsburg badge.

I think the tyre widths are bordering comical - but probably made the car very comfortable.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭CoBo55

galwaytt wrote: »
    Lolz no, a builder. Collecting Veehickles obviously started early... :pac: The 220s was subsequently sold to an uncle of mine, and the SEb kept.

I came across old negatives which I'm playing around with digitising atmo, and came across pics of his first car, and his second - see attached - and yes, like this was in a different time & place, them's are chickens......

Note the bonnet badge on the black car - same one was on the steering wheel- prior to the use of "VW" as badge, it's the old Wolfsburg badge.

I think the tyre widths are bordering comical - but probably made the car very comfortable.
    Well, the black car always knew where it was going....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Here is what your type 3 should sound like, my maiden voyage today after a long resto,

now just small bits a and maybe a respray, or maybe not.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Sounds great, the only thing I'd change would be the plates.

And in case the eagle eyed boardsie is looking for the tax and insurance disc...

they are on the passenger seat.....no screen wallet:)

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Sounds great, the only thing I'd change would be the plates.

Step away from the vehicle now mister...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

kadman wrote: »
    Step away from the vehicle now mister...:D

Tbf, he has a point.

Set of these would just make her pop:

50043041638_c417bdd417_c.jpg

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113848851&postcount=6122

Tbf, he has a point.

Set of these would just make her pop:

50043041638_c417bdd417_c.jpg

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113848851&postcount=6122

mmm..............maybe.
    And the front ??

mmm..............maybe.
    And the front ??

Has to be black letters on white background, same font.
    Dont want to come across as pedantic but one of my pet hates is those black plates, especially on an original irish car.

Dont want to come across as pedantic but one of my pet hates is those black plates, especially on an original irish car.

Different views are always welcome, thats what boards is all about:)

But the only original Irish part of this car, is the number plate and floor pan.

The body was originally on an english floor pan. But as the chassis number is stamped on the floor pan itself, law dictates that the logbook details stay with the pan.

So when I scrapped the original very crusty powdery non repairable pan, and replaced it with the better solid floorpan, the numbers changed.

Hence the original irish number on a UK body. Not what I wanted to do, but law says I must.

Do I keep the plates now:D:D

Different views are always welcome, thats what boards is all about:)

But the only original Irish part of this car, is the number plate and floor pan.

The body was originally on an english floor pan. But as the chassis number is stamped on the floor pan itself, law dictates that the logbook details stay with the pan.

So when I scrapped the original very crusty powdery non repairable pan, and replaced it with the better solid floorpan, the numbers changed.

Hence the original irish number on a UK body. Not what I wanted to do, but law says I must.

Do I keep the plates now:D:D
    Its entirely your call, whatever you think suits it best but i certainly think original style plates look way better.

You're probably right...any suggestions where to get them , as not all motor factors do the vintage plates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,818 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Those plates would have been the originals until some point in the 70s

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Those plates would have been the originals until some point in the 70s

Not quite those ones - the black/silver ones that were standard (until Irl joined the EEC in 1974) were the RPI 393 font in the pic below, rather than the 78 D 1165 one.

20cff1W.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

my take on number plates DSC00125.jpg

if I recall they were from Eireplates.

these from the morris minor club years ago would be better still

013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Isambard wrote: »
    my take on number plates DSC00125.jpg

That's very casual parking there in the middle of the road.

There were a couple of towns in the midlands that used to have very wide main streets, particularly some before they improved with segregated-off parking areas and flower beds etc that narrowed the streets. The locals used to say that you could drive into town and just pull up, rather than have to park.

Edit: I have just realised that that particular road/mountain pass runs between the yellow lines so car is fine!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That's very casual parking there in the middle of the road.

There were a couple of towns in the midlands that used to have very wide main streets, particularly some before they improved with segregated-off parking areas and flower beds etc that narrowed the streets. The locals used to say that you could drive into town and just pull up, rather than have to park.

Edit: I have just realised that that particular road/mountain pass runs between the yellow lines so car is fine!

There used to be parking in the middle of O'Connell St in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

There used to be parking in the middle of O'Connell St in Dublin.

I can conform this. I used to park there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,818 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Type 17 wrote: »
    Not quite those ones - the black/silver ones that were standard (until Irl joined the EEC in 1974) were the RPI 393 font in the pic below, rather than the 78 D 1165 one.

20cff1W.png

Yes the font on modern black plates is usually wrong, it's the same one as standard current plates which is a lot narrower (stroke width and symbol width) to accommodate more symbols.

From my childhood I seem to recall black plates with raised plastic white symbols on them on very old cars! A little like the '79 Cortina but not silver and with a sort of triangular cross section.

I also seem to recall that silver on black plates remained legal for some time after they commonly fell out of use, can anyone recall the year? I have a modern classic bike one would look well on...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Black plates were still allowed up until 1987, I believe. There were a few plastic variations produced in the '80s, some with what looked like gold or bronze lettering.

Black plates were still allowed up until 1987, I believe. There were a few plastic variations produced in the '80s, some with what looked like gold or bronze lettering.

Black with gold digits made up of lines.
    Sorry to have completely derailed this thread which m is the best thread in here in quite some time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Speaking of back on track, why the hell are we posting sample pics from the internet of period, pre-'74 black and silver plates when we have two perfect examples? :)
    IMG-5508.jpg

Advertisement