Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COVID insurance refunds

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

jlm29 wrote: »
    My mam got one from Zurich ( and she got €40, which is the most I’ve heard of any company giving). She only got it late last week though, so I’m sure they’ll get to you :D. My husband got one from FBD today, while my brother got one from FBD at least 3 weeks ago. I suppose it takes a while to get through the list!

Thank you for that.

Just an update: I received my 40euro One For All from Zurich and my renewal quote was much cheaper than last year for the first time ever!

Happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

LillySV wrote: »
    Lads anyone get anything from Carole Nash for their bike insurance ?

I'm with Carole Nash as well but not holding my breath on any refund!

I have an AXA Classic car policy though so I should give them a call and ask where my cheque is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Tork

I was delighted to take my business away from Aviva this month and one reason was their miserliness over this. I know a €30 voucher isn't a lot of money but it would've been a nice goodwill gesture. It was sickening to hear everyone else in my circle getting something back from their insurance companies. But no, not this shower. I'm sure I could've beaten them down once I'd got other quotes but I voted with my feet instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Miscreant wrote: »
    I'm with Carole Nash as well but not holding my breath on any refund!

I have an AXA Classic car policy though so I should give them a call and ask where my cheque is :)

Well, just check who the underwriter is : I'm with Carole Nash, and my policy from them is underwritten by AXA, and I got €30 in the post from AXA. Took me a while to twig who it was from, as I don't have anything directly with AXA.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

Thank you for that.

Just an update: I received my 40euro One For All from Zurich and my renewal quote was much cheaper than last year for the first time ever!

Happy days :)

Still waiting for mine - any one else in the same boat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Luap wrote: »

Nothing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭eprndrgst

Luap wrote: »

Me too... my insurance renewed on 28.02.20. I wonder if I’d be even due a rebate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

eprndrgst wrote: »
    Me too... my insurance renewed on 28.02.20. I wonder if I’d be even due a rebate?

Yes you are, I think I read somewhere that they'll have them all issued before the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I heard the Sarah McInerney interview on RTE Radio 1 yesterday, with Moyah Murdoch of Insurance Ireland.
    Lots of questions came in about how this 'refund' was calculated and what we can expect reduction wise for renewals in the next 12 months.

From my perspective, while any refund is welcome, I would like to see some science and maths behind it and see how it was calculated. How come everybody, covered by various different and apparently independently competing companies, all got a payment of 30 to 35 Euro's.? In my case, it bears no relevance to even a basic calculation of what I paid and how little driving I have been doing for a set period of time. The listener feedback conclusion was that Paschal put the frights up the insurance sector and €30 was the minimum amount they decided that would keep him happy.

When that aspect was put to Ms Murdoch, she said that it was impossible to calculate what might be due to any individual, and while I could reluctantly accept that argument, it is not impossible to devise a refund principle that applies to all and can be explained to people - eg a two month refund for all, based on your twelve month premium paid.

Ms Murdoch couldn't explain how it seems most insurance companies arrived at the same €30 odd euro average conclusion, and she 'expects' that there could be reduced premiums next year, but she can't influence the market, or predict what any reduction might be.

I 'expect' that it will be another random figure with no explanation as to how it is calculated and that it will be broadly the same for all the allegedly independent and competing companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I heard the Sarah McInerney interview on RTE Radio 1 yesterday, with Moyah Murdoch of Insurance Ireland.
    Lots of questions came in about how this 'refund' was calculated and what we can expect reduction wise for renewals in the next 12 months.

From my perspective, while any refund is welcome, I would like to see some science and maths behind it and see how it was calculated. How come everybody, covered by various different and apparently independently competing companies, all got a payment of 30 to 35 Euro's.? In my case, it bears no relevance to even a basic calculation of what I paid and how little driving I have been doing for a set period of time. The listener feedback conclusion was that Paschal put the frights up the insurance sector and €30 was the minimum amount they decided that would keep him happy.

When that aspect was put to Ms Murdoch, she said that it was impossible to calculate what might be due to any individual, and while I could reluctantly accept that argument, it is not impossible to devise a refund principle that applies to all and can be explained to people - eg a two month refund for all, based on your twelve month premium paid.

Ms Murdoch couldn't explain how it seems most insurance companies arrived at the same €30 odd euro average conclusion, and she 'expects' that there could be reduced premiums next year, but she can't influence the market, or predict what any reduction might be.

I 'expect' that it will be another random figure with no explanation as to how it is calculated and that it will be broadly the same for all the allegedly independent and competing companies.

And yet some companies offered no refund at all in lieu of a reduced renewal fee (supposedly).... i.e. Aviva :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement