Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Also can anyone recommend an insurance company? I've my car and house with Bank of Ireland (RSA) but they won't quote for commercial vehicles, or motorbikes, etc.

i'm with principal insurance, they gave the best quote for a learner to me in January

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Stupid question, perhaps, but how do you actually buy your first bike?

I don't mind bending the rules and not being insured when I'm test-driving a car I want, as I know i'm unlikely to have an issue during a test drive. On a first-time bike, though.. i wouldn't trust myself.

Also, with no insurance, how do you get it home? I presume people aren't actually paying over the odds for tow trucks and such? I can understand many may take the chance if they're experienced, but im talking about people who have never actually gotten their ass on a bike seat before.

Also, is there a "bangernomics" thread equivalent in the biking forum? (bangernomics is a thread on the car forum where people post up cheap and cheerful cars for sale. They might be a bit rough or old, but they're road legal and generally suitable as learner cars.. and cheap.. generally very cheap).

My thinking when I go for my first bike would that I’d have the IBT done so I’ll have confidence, bring my friend he can take it for a test drive and look at it for me and I’m planning to ring around with insurance companies with the Reg before I view it and then if I decide to take it I’ll just ring up the insurance company and get it insured straight away and drive it home. My question is is the insurance like cars they’ll temp cover you while they are sending the forms out for you to sign? If so my plan sounds great haha :D

sm3ar wrote: »
    I know one or two but not near enough that they could come with me. The best I could do is send em a pic and be like what do ye think. Maybe I just being over cautious about it and just have to take the plunge!

Watch the video the poster put up there and go with your gut but my friend says check for any leaks and make sure it starts up with no issues and check for scratches and take your time it’s your money if the seller doesn’t give you the time to check it proper then walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

If the form you are getting sent to sign is the proposal form outling your particulars then you don't need to sign that.

Proof read it to make sure its accurate and if it is do nothing - if wrong ring them and get them to amend it.

Once you tell them to incept the policy from whatever date the policy should go into effect from 00.01am of that date.

If the form you are getting sent to sign is the proposal form outling your particulars then you don't need to sign that.

Proof read it to make sure its accurate and if it is do nothing - if wrong ring them and get them to amend it.

Once you tell them to incept the policy from whatever date the policy should go into effect from 00.01am of that date.

Cheers, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 InvoXx

Hey guys,

As this is a topic for newbies, I really want to ask for your opinion.

Having a motorcycle was a dream of mine for a long long time. Back in my home country the rules are totally different, we don't have different categories, just A, and we don't have learner permits at all. Never had a license there, was only driving a car. Have 12 years of car experience, so not really new with driving overall.

I am nearly 33, and I am having my Theory exam next Tuesday. If I understand correctly, after I pass the exam I can apply for the learner permit, and I will need to choose the category I am applying for.

As I've never drove a motorcycle before, I am thinking if that would be a good idea to go for the A2 license instead of A? I don't want to spend a lot of money for the first motorcycle, and I want to buy the first bike with the aim to go into driving test with it. If I understand correctly, A2 bikes would be cheaper than A bikes, and if I choose A as my category, I can only go into the exam with the A category bikes, A2 or A1 ones won't be accepted.

So considering that, should I apply for A2 and buy A2 bike, or should I go for A and try to find a bike for that category? I want to go for second hand bike first, and spend up to 1500 euro for it. Is it possible to even find something in ok condition for that price that will fit A2 or A category? And, maybe, any advice on the models I should take a look at?

Sorry for a lot of text, and thank you in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Apply for your full A license. Don't go the A2 when you're old enough for the full A. Tick all the boxes on the form when you go to the NDLS office to apply for the permit.

When you are doing your IBT you can get a loan of bike from the instructor.

An older A class 600cc bike isn't going to break the bank and as long as you don't right it off if you sell it after a year it should maintain most of it's value.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-sv650-naked-bike/25266197
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-hornet-600/25168321
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2002-suzuki-bandit-600/25152229?campaign=14
    Not too sure if they have a feul gauge some of the experiend forum members will know. A quick goolgle check sayus the bandit model from 2002 onwards has one.

Those are some of the most popular bikes for what you're looking for. I've seen a tonne of people on Bandits as learners.

Considering your age you're probably going to pay about the same for insurance on an A bike as you would for an A2 bike.

My first insurance was approx 550ish on a 125cc it was around the same for a Honda CBF600 (2008 model) and Honda Hornet 600 (2007 model).

Thank you so much for that!

Now I know what to look for :)

I really appreciate your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

InvoXx wrote: »
    Thank you so much for that!

Now I know what to look for :)

I really appreciate your help!

I was in same scenario, thinking A would be too powerful, trust me you'll be grand

Watch the video the poster put up there and go with your gut but my friend says check for any leaks and make sure it starts up with no issues and check for scratches and take your time it’s your money if the seller doesn’t give you the time to check it proper then walk away.

Would most shops be happy enough to deliver it if it's local enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

I don't mind bending the rules and not being insured when I'm test-driving a car I want, as I know i'm unlikely to have an issue during a test drive. On a first-time bike, though.. i wouldn't trust myself.

Also, with no insurance, how do you get it home? I presume people aren't actually paying over the odds for tow trucks and such? I can understand many may take the chance if they're experienced, but im talking about people who have never actually gotten their ass on a bike seat before.

Also, is there a "bangernomics" thread equivalent in the biking forum? (bangernomics is a thread on the car forum where people post up cheap and cheerful cars for sale. They might be a bit rough or old, but they're road legal and generally suitable as learner cars.. and cheap.. generally very cheap).

In order to legally ride the bike on public roads you need to have your learner/full permit, have done your IBT and have insurance for the bike. I assume you have the first two (permit & IBT) so for insurance if you have your eye on a particular bike ring up the insurance companies (Principal, Carole Nash and Liberty - no online quotes unfortunately) with the details of the bike. As Grim says you can tell the insurance company when you want the policy to start.

What I did was find the bike I wanted at a dealers, agreed a price, paid a deposit and went off and sorted insurance as the dealer was to service the bike as part of the sale. When I came back with the balance the following Saturday insurance was in place so I could ride is home legally. If buying privately might need to arrange insurance on the spot if you end up buying the bike.
    Happy bike shopping :D

I was in same scenario, thinking A would be too powerful, trust me you'll be grand

Exactly my thoughts haha :) thank you, will go for A!

Would most shops be happy enough to deliver it if it's local enough?

Yea, my friend got his delivered from JR Motorcycles to Waterford City for €100. Any bike shop worth its salt will deliver the bike to you. They’ll tell you on the spot if they can deliver.

Yea, my friend got his delivered from JC Motorcycles to Waterford City for €100. Any bike shop worth its salt will deliver the bike to you. They’ll tell you on the spot if they can deliver.

Cool, where are JC based?

Cool, where are JC based?

My bad JR Motorcycles Wexford, one of the best importers of American Bikes. Some beauties they have.

http://jrmotorcycleswexford.com/used-bikes/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There isn't one because what they call bangernomics is pretty much the norm in the biking world.

As Irish Grim Reaper pointed out, plenty of older bikes around in reasonable condition for not too much money. You'll pay a premium for shiny cosmetics but that shouldn't be a concern for your first bike.

Bikes don't age the same way as cars. They last a lot longer. Average mileage is a lot lower. Body rust or other structural issues kill off a lot of older cars because cost of repair is more than it's worth. Plenty of bikes on the road 20+ years old in daily use. Once they get past ten years old they depreciate very slowly if at all as long as they run well. So you could learn to ride on a bike, pass your test, ride it for a year, get your no claims bonus and then look at trading up if you want, and get all or nearly all of what you paid for the first bike back as long as you didn't crash it :)

Life ain't always empty.

Got so my bike gear sorted, bought Jacket and Pants off my friend for €50 :D
    I’ve the full kit now and IBT training next month.

Boots cost €95, LS2 Helmet €135 (Dohertys Motorcycles Waterford) , Jacket & Pants €50 (Friend 2nd hand)

Gloves €40 eBay https://www.ebay.ie/itm/183757061873

Dia De Los Muertos Neck Tube for €5 on eBay, https://www.ebay.ie/itm/372452456187

Backpack cost €20 on eBay (reflectors on it too) Great bag I’ve used this for weekend trips to the UK and they fit perfect in the Ryanair carry on bag.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/153960780865 (Similar to mine)

Friend gave me the high vis with L Plates for free too, passed it on as a good luck so I’ll do the same in the future. Also have a First Aid kit from my last Audi to use for the bike trips.

Hhfv

In order to legally ride the bike on public roads you need to have your learner/full permit, have done your IBT and have insurance for the bike.

See there you go - learned something new.

I didn't realise IBT was necessary for road-riding. I just assumed it was the same as cars (although lessons are necessary to be done for the test itself, you can still belt away on the roads without having completed any).

I didn't realise IBT was necessary for just getting out and about.

Also, another silly question, what's the craic with wing mirrors? Are they a requirement? It seems to vary randomly whether a bike will have mirrors or not? (based on my random Donedeal scrolling)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I didn't realise IBT was necessary for road-riding. I just assumed it was the same as cars (although lessons are necessary to be done for the test itself, you can still belt away on the roads without having completed any).

They can, but they have to be accompanied. IMHO they should have a similar set up to IBT, not out on the roads without an instructor until they reach a minimum standard.
    Also, another silly question, what's the craic with wing mirrors? Are they a requirement? It seems to vary randomly whether a bike will have mirrors or not? (based on my random Donedeal scrolling)

No wings on a bike :)

Rear view mirrors are a legal requirement on a new bike when it is sold, but are not a requirement in use.

When I did my test I had to ride as if I had no mirrors, indicators or brake light :rolleyes: and it's not THAT long ago!

You'd want to be an eejit to have no mirrors though, but a lot of them especially aftermarket ones aren't much use.

Life ain't always empty.

For motorbikes is it like with the cars when changing tyres, would it be the done thing change both tyres together?

Also would it cost much change sprockets and chain?

As well how much is a standard bike service?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

I bought my first bike in years yesterday
    Haven't even received the provisional licence yet
    I drove up in the car to see the bike the guy that owned it was an absolute Gent :-)
    I would not embarrass myself by asking for a test drive without a licence or insurance
    but I am quite mechanically minded and happy enough I could tell it was not a dud
    Bought the bike A Versys 650 and had it transported by motorbike courier and it was delivered last night
    have quote for insurance for €389
    Have not organised the IBT yet as I did not have the licence but hope to get it sorted quickly but have no intention of going out on it till I have the IBT done

I bought my first bike in years yesterday
    Haven't even received the provisional licence yet
    I drove up in the car to see the bike the guy that owned it was an absolute Gent :-)
    I would not embarrass myself by asking for a test drive without a licence or insurance
    but I am quite mechanically minded and happy enough I could tell it was not a dud
    Bought the bike A Versys 650 and had it transported by motorbike courier and it was delivered last night
    have quote for insurance for €389
    Have not organised the IBT yet as I did not have the licence but hope to get it sorted quickly but have no intention of going out on it till I have the IBT done

How much was the courier?

For motorbikes is it like with the cars when changing tyres, would it be the done thing change both tyres together?

Also would it cost much change sprockets and chain?

As well how much is a standard bike service?

I changed my sprocket and chain pretty much in the first month of buying the bike. (secondhand uk import and didn't know the last change)

The chain was fully stretched so decided to do it all.

Chain and sprockets were around €120 for everything.
    I'm fairly new to bikes, only owned one since january. Was a pretty easy job to swap them.

Would highly recommend a good tool set and a haynes Manual.

Helps my Dad has been riding bikes for nearly 50 years, so i did grow up watching him working on his bikes.

How much was the courier?
    about €240 euro from Cavan to Wicklow
    Was kind of stuck as I did not know anyone who had a bike / insurance to drive it and I would not even consider driving with no licence insurance or IBT
    They would lock me up forever :-)

Was kind of stuck as I did not know anyone who had a bike / insurance to drive it and I would not even consider driving with no licence insurance or IBT

as far as i know, The bike itself would require insurance as well for anyone to be covered on it with their own policy.
    I know on my car insurance i can only drive vehicles that are currently insured by the owner.

another option if anyone has ratchet straps is hire a Go van and collect that way.
    seen it done before with a CB125.

A transit van off Gocar is €13/H or €72 a day. they charge an extra 15c every Kilometre after 50km though

goblin59 wrote: »
    as far as i know, The bike itself would require insurance as well for anyone to be covered on it with their own policy.
    I know on my car insurance i can only drive vehicles that are currently insured by the owner.

another option if anyone has ratchet straps is hire a Go van and collect that way.
    seen it done before with a CB125.

A transit van off Gocar is €13/H or €72 a day. they charge an extra 15c every Kilometre after 50km though
    yep that's always an option too
    All in all it prob would have only cost about 100 in the go van
    But you would need ramps or something to get it in and out of the van
    But weight of the bike was a big consideration for me trying to get it in and out of the van as Im no spring chicken anymore
    So in the end it seemed like the easiest option for me was to leave the stress to someone else :-)

yep that's always an option too
    All in all it prob would have only cost about 100 in the go van
    But you would need ramps or something to get it in and out of the van
    But weight of the bike was a big consideration for me trying to get it in and out of the van as Im no spring chicken anymore
    So in the end it seemed like the easiest option for me was to leave the stress to someone else :-)

good point about the ramp.
    think we used a piece of scaffolding last time, but a 125 is fairly light.

I was installing hardwired dashcams on dads R1200GS and getting that onto the center stand wasn't a pile of fun.
    Definitly worth it though, i've innovv K2's on my F650GS

• Advertisement

Who were they

Advertisement