Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Finding it harder and harder to get myself up and ready to do the workout; well, the addition of the conditioning workouts has spiced things up at just the right time.

But some days, I'm not in a position to start getting ready until 8.30/8.45pm and they're the days it's just more of a grind.

It's the thought of going out and doing exercises with a 25kg bag when that's barely more than an empty bar and it's far from what you've been doing and that it's a little pointless. Well, that's the thought that makes me make up excuses that I will find hard to counter. And I've never had to tackle that with the gym.

But the other argument is that every session you do bank means a little bit less work when you can get back to it.

Ultimately, what swings it is, I know that I'd probably a bit pîssed off with myself for not doing it without any real reason for not doing it so i get up and do it.

That said, it was still a struggle to get into it tonight and I'm glad I didn't succumb.

Can't wait to get back under a bar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

^^^
    That was me as well for the last few weeks as well Alf, asking myself what the point is in doing barely above body weight stuff. I was getting by doing workouts out on my balcony in the wind and cold (winter time here where I am) and it just wasn't enjoyable.

Not at all trying to rub it in or anything but they just reopened gyms here in Sydney this weekend and I have to admit it is glorious to get back into doing some proper lifting. Keep doing what you are doing because, as you rightly point out above, every bit you do will definitely make the transition back to the gym that bit easier. I had some adjustable weights and a curl bar I borrowed from an old lad at work who wasn't using them the last few months and if it weren't for those, it would be a much bigger struggle getting back into it.
    Keep the head up and hold onto the thought of that first time ye will be able to go back into the gym again, hopefully it won't be too much longer at home.

Just some tips/recommendations and general observations of getting back into the gym for what it's worth:
    - the gym will implement guidelines around keeping distance from others and wiping down equipment before and after using. Most will ignore these, or if they do it initially it will soon drop off. So now there are two reasons to be p!ssed off at people - not re-reacking their weights and not wiping down after use. I was the only person wiping equipment down and saw nobody else doing it. You'd really think clowns would know better... mad.png
    - can't understand people still using their phones in between sets. People don't seem to realise touching plates/machines/dumbells etc. and then touching your phone will cross contaminate
    - ease yourself back into it for the first week or two, even if that means dropping down your working weight to even 50% of what you'd usually do. Before Covid I was doing 140kg squats for reps, yesterday just doing 60kg was tough going and 80kg felt so heavy! Take it handy because the DOMS will be fairly brutal again!
    -

I know it'll take a few weeks just to train the skill of the SBD at the start before getting back into the high volume. I'm ok with that. There will be DOMS when I start into the volume anyway :pac:

I've had to be patient in figuring out a lot about what I can and can't do with my hip so patience is the one thing I've improved a lot, somehow.

In hindsight, getting it done yesterday was a positive cos I was low on sleep and all the rest so was especially feeling it for some reason. I'd a rejig planned so that will help freshen it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

rubadub wrote: »

Much the same as the big tubs of skyr then but more expensive ;)

The internet isn’t for everyone

I think the 'Fitness quark' in Aldi is 12.6g protein per 100g. Can't remember the price though.

• Advertisement

The skyr Icelandic style yoghurt is €1.49 in Lidl for 450 grams I think which is good value and makes a good breakfast with blueberries and a sprinkle of granola
    Lidl started doing 100g pouches which are handy for work etc
    The have a similar yoghurt in Aldi too but I thinks it’s €2 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The skyr Icelandic style yoghurt is €1.49 in Lidl for 450 grams I think which is good value and makes a good breakfast with blueberries and a sprinkle of granola
    Lidl started doing 100g pouches which are handy for work etc
    The have a similar yoghurt in Aldi too but I thinks it’s €2 ish

I think those tubs of Skyr are actually 350g? Either way great value and it's lovely.

I think those tubs of Skyr are actually 350g? Either way great value and it's lovely.

Yeah, Lidl sell the 350g tubs

I must have mixed them up with the Aldi version I was eating today

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I must have mixed them up with the Aldi version I was eating today

There are a few different brands of Skyr alright

That Graham's brand has 12.2g protein / 100g for natural and 10.2-10.5g protein / 100g for the flavoured ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I make my own yogurt, it's pretty easy, you just need a natural yogurt with live cultures to start. If you ferment for 24hours or more the sugar is reduced a lot more, some people with lactose issues say they can eat 24hr yogurt no bother. Some here might want to reduce sugar, I was doing it to get more probiotic effect and I also prefer it being more acidic.

If you make it with evaporated milk it comes out really thick and also does away with the need to heat it up first (its already heated in the can, as is UHT milk).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There are a few different brands of Skyr alright

That Graham's brand has 12.2g protein / 100g for natural and 10.2-10.5g protein / 100g for the flavoured ones.

It’s a pity they taste like sour cream that resents it’s recent life choices.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

rubadub wrote: »
    I make my own yogurt, it's pretty easy, you just need a natural yogurt with live cultures to start. If you ferment for 24hours or more the sugar is reduced a lot more, some people with lactose issues say they can eat 24hr yogurt no bother. Some here might want to reduce sugar, I was doing it to get more probiotic effect and I also prefer it being more acidic.

If you make it with evaporated milk it comes out really thick and also does away with the need to heat it up first (its already heated in the can, as is UHT milk).

An old colleague of mine used to make yoghurt by adding acidophilus to milk. Have you tried that?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

bluewolf wrote: »
    is there a non dairy one you prefer? am definitely open to ideas

sorry only seeing this now.

I only tried another beef one called musclemeds carnivore (yonks ago) it was decent - but normally whey does me fine.
    Just tried the beef for something new.

The bulk powders one was so bad , I can't describe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Got a new bench today :)

It's in a load of boxes...

Too lazy to put it together

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Brian? wrote: »
    An old colleague of mine used to make yoghurt by adding acidophilus to milk. Have you tried that?
    haven't tried that. I was thinking of trying similar with another commercial beneficial E.coli bacteria, it is difficult to get hold of and expensive so people ferment their own.

https://www.mutaflor.com/mutaflor-with-escherichia-coli-strain-nissle-1917-for-human-gut-health/the-discovery-of-mutaflor.html

Kefir is easier to make as it requires no incubation, i.e. it does fine at room temperature.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

tried bulkpowders vegan blend which was surprisingly inoffensive
    added some choc hazelnut liqiflav or whatever the 0 cal flavour thing is, bit synthetic but nice

bulk powders move to UPS is a fcukin disaster.

I used to complain nighline were too efficient - UPS tracker never updates...2 days late now.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,009 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

paw patrol wrote: »

I used to complain nighline were too efficient - UPS tracker never updates...2 days late now.

Suppose that serves you right for complaining about previous being too efficient.
    My parcels used to go awol for a while then two lots would turn up. So fingers crossed for get a double.

paw patrol wrote: »

still not arrived. :mad:

Got a decent lad in UPS just there - caught him on a bad day - admitted a huge backlog in their depot and in a round about way said they were sh1te.
    I couldn't get annoyed with him - he had that beaten down sigh - felt like i should buy him a beer.

• Advertisement

Thinking about getting a new barbell for Bench/OHP. At the moment I have a bar from strength shop, no idea which one but it was definitely the cheapest one on site and it has a slight bend in it.

Looking on strength shop and there are too many options, any suggestions. Would spend about 300

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Are all the bars there not sold out?

Had a quick look. Looks like Clarence is a poster boy for them. Fair play

Ya all sold out at the moment and I'm in no rush, I just don't get the difference between the 20 or so bars they sell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

JJayoo wrote: »
    Ya all sold out at the moment and I'm in no rush, I just don't get the difference between the 20 or so bars they sell

If its just for bench/ohp this is a decent option

https://www.strengthshop.ie/weights-bars/bars/olympic-bars/strengthshop-bastard-bar-with-centre-knurling-black-shaft.html

This is a bit of an improvement, but wouldn't be noticeable really except on squat or Deadlift and depends on the weight then really.

https://www.strengthshop.ie/weights-bars/bars/olympic-bars/strength-shop-powerlifting-bar-chemical-plated.html

A friend of mine has the second, and says even that feels a bit whippy at heavier weights though.

Equipped but holy f**k.

501.2kg

Equipped but holy f**k.

501.2kg

That’s unbelievable. He has mentally short arms, but seriously impressive

they/them/theirs

That’s unbelievable. He has mentally short arms, but seriously impressive

The bench shirt makes them look a lot shorter than they are.

The bench shirt makes them look a lot shorter than they are.

I get ye, but those are some short arms nonetheless.

I'm jealous, I've the arms of a male orangutan

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I hear ye - apparently your arm span is meant to be the same as your height - I am 5 7" and my arm span is just over 5 10" :(

• Advertisement

He doesn't look like he has particularly short arms in person

aff188bca8fb24bec05269aacf5fc5ca-full.jpg

Not T-Rex short anyway

Advertisement