Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off topic golf thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That's too deep really. Normally, slitting (for the same reason) is done to about nine or ten inches.
    I'd agree on a golf course but around a house there is often 300mm plus of crap ground plus the few inches of topsoil if you are lucky to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The problem could just be thatch sitting under the grass.

If you take out a sod you will be able to see how much thatch you have, if its more than half an inch you have too much and need to scarify and/or aerate to break through it.

I had the same issue as my thatch layer had become hydrophobic and would actually repel water, leaving it sitting in puddles on the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i have a scarifier and use it a couple of times a year to remove the thatch. the problem is that it is just very muddy soil. i have lashed loads of sand on it over the years and its is not as bad anymore. i would have likes a bit more gravel and stones into the hole and a bit of sand but i had to make do with what i had in these times. i did have some old waving pipe so i stuck a load of small holes in that and buried it in the stones, that that might help a bit also.

i guess i just had the bit of time on my hands so we'll see if it gets any better now. can't be any worse thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

Some hardware stores are open if you need paint mainly small ones for a few hours a day.

I cut my mums hedging out her back didn't do it last year so its well over grown took me 2 weeks with that and grass.. So decided fcuk it Im taking it out. So have been chipping away it. I hate gardening but kinda enjoying it as I know she will be delighted when I finished and she has a nice back garden to sit out in.. She is a very out going woman but age is catching up and she cant really walk far these days especially now.

Training in the mornings before work too which im enjoying (on short time)

benny79 wrote: »
    Some hardware stores are open if you need paint mainly small ones for a few hours a day.

I cut my mums hedging out her back didn't do it last year so its well over grown took me 2 weeks with that and grass.. So decided fcuk it Im taking it out. So have been chipping away it. I hate gardening but kinda enjoying it as I know she will be delighted when I finished and she has a nice back garden to sit out in.. She is a very out going woman but age is catching up and she cant really walk far these days especially now.

Training in the mornings before work too which im enjoying (on short time)

so not at all like her son so! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Glebee

A horrible fatal accident in Mountrath GC yesterday involving a mower..RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Glebee wrote: »
    A horrible fatal accident in Mountrath GC yesterday involving a mower..RIP
    Oh Lord! I know that club, played there a couple of times last year. Really nice bunch of people and very welcoming. That's horrific.

Edit: Reported here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bloody hell, that's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Have a code for a free, one-year Golfpass Video subscription

I won't use it, so first person to PM me can have it

Edit: Claimed

What do you all use to keep the flies away? Deet or something like that i assume?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Anything with DEET works for me

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Kiith wrote: »
    What do you all use to keep the flies away? Deet or something like that i assume?

Shower ;)

But seriously, I find avoiding any strong smelling aftershave or deodorant helps a lot. Any strong smell inc BO attracts flies.

If it's the small bitey kind then you need deet as they are attracted to your breath and also dark clothes. So on the range try to move around and wear bright clothes, especially during the evening.

Anyone else celebrating Tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Seve OB wrote: »
    Anyone else celebrating Tonight?

My dad and brother are but as a Leeds fan I've to wait a little longer !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    My dad and brother are but as a Leeds fan I've to wait a little longer !

I know your pain golfhead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Has anyone got any stories about non-golf skills of the pros?

My examples are from many years ago:
    Roberto de Vicenzo, Open winner, asked a spectator for four coins. He put them on the back of his hand, threw them in the air, and caught each coin separately.
    I think he then put the coins into his pocket and walked off. :)
    The key word here is separately i.e. four catches. (I read about this, didn't see it.)

Christy O'Connor, on the first tee in a tournament, bouncing the ball on the head of a club.
    It was a wooden headed driver, held by the end of the grip, and full stretch arm's length. (I saw him do this).

We all see YouTube videos of people jumping from house roofs onto trampolines, catching a basketball thrown to them, and shooting a basket twenty yards away …. on the 10,000th attempt.
    That is not skill, it is editing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is the Lahinch Castle Course any use? I assume there's no coast on it since the main course is on the coast, but would like to be proven wrong.

If not coastal I'd prob find the Green Fee a bit steep for a casual game with GF

Anyone win anything in the Irishgolf draw? Nothing for me, but the vouchers are decent.
    • 10% off all online sales at www.mcguirksgolf.com - Use voucher code IGM10
    • Receive €10 voucher for every €100 spent in store at any McGuirks Golf store - Quote IGM10 at checkout in store
    • 25% off Bushnell Tour V4 and Tour V4 Shift Laser rangefinders - Use voucher code IG0620 on checkout - Book at https://bushnellgolfglobal.com/products/laser-rangefinders/
    • 25% off short game clinics at the GUI National Academy use code IRISHGOLFER25 on checkout - Book at https://bettergolf.voucherconnect.com/product/2300
    • Free Trackman Custom fit session in store at McGuirks Golf - Value of €50 and a club must be ordered after fitting - Quote IrishGolfer when booking in any McGuirks store
    • 2 For 1 Offer on Seed ‘Full Irish’ Glove - Value €15. Book at https://seedgolf.com/discount/IRISHGOLFER - Enter code IrishGolfer
    • 30% Discount on a midweek greenfee (Sun-Fri) at PGA National Slieve Russell - Value of €20. Book by calling +353 (0)49 9525090 and quote ‘IrishGolfer’ as the reference

Give me a bit of money off the new driver i was looking at :)

Hi there

Is there any decent websites that show a tidy schedule of Scramble/Classic events etc? The one on BRS isn't great.

Thanks

Is there any Driving Ranges in the Ennis area? Probably willing to drive 15 mins to one. No interest going as far as Lim

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Is there any Driving Ranges in the Ennis area? Probably willing to drive 15 mins to one. No interest going as far as Lim

Think there is a range at Dromoland Castle at the back of the course?

Think there is a range at Dromoland Castle at the back of the course?

Saw that online alright, but got the impression that it's Members Only maybe?

I suppose I'll spin in later and see

callaway92 wrote: »
    Saw that online alright, but got the impression that it's Members Only maybe?

I suppose I'll spin in later and see

Pretty sure that lads from here have used it when we've been there for a round with the society

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Anyone know what the newly announced local lockdown restrictions for Kildare, Laois and Offaly mean for golf courses? Will they be still allowed to operate?

No announcement yet from GUI or any clubs, so hard to know what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Anyone know what the newly announced local lockdown restrictions for Kildare, Laois and Offaly mean for golf courses? Will they be still allowed to operate?

Announcement clearly says non contact sport not affected

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

On the new lotto ad where yer man gets a hole in one- is that druids glen hole near the back of the hotel?

Craddockstown are staying open, with just the clubhouse being closed, so i suspect that'll be similar to other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

GUI confirmed golf will continue but restricted to locals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

carq wrote: »
    On the new lotto ad where yer man gets a hole in one- is that druids glen hole near the back of the hotel?

Looks like Druids Glen.

My reaction was to wonder which of his playing partners would be brave enough to tell him that it didn't count and he would have to take his shot again after the ball split in 2 :)

Advertisement