Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A&R stay safe everyone

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nearly a month on from the last post here,
    I'm just wondering how everyone is doing?
    With things opening up again in the coming weeks it'll be nice to see everything getting back to some sort of normality, or the start on that path at least.

When it gets a little warmer out there, might plan for an A&R Beers night, when we can hang-out but maybe outside, rig up the projectors, light the BBQ and have a bit of craic.

I'll post over on the Beers thread and see what people might like to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not so bad. They need me in work so back in Gorey. Nice to take a break from working from home but missing the Parents, Niece and Nephew. Brother.... not so much :)

Still playing retro games. Plowing through megaman games, only have megaman 6 left of the NES games.

Also restarted Final Fantasy Legend on the gameboy with an aim to beat it this time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah I’m also good. Finished all my college work for the year and doing a couple of days work from home. Took this week off though to take a break. All the extra time has gotten me back into gaming which has been great!

Hope you’re also keeping well Ciderman!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was grand up to yesterday evening, and now I've a few signs and symptoms, so I'm out of work and isolating at home until they get me swabbed and the test comes back.
    Ah, sure it'll be grand!
    I've been working with people Covid positive over the past four weeks, and haven't been ill.
    These are just some minor things, so for everyone's safety I'm just taking myself out of work until it's confirmed negative and I can get back in there.
    First day off sick in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,382 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was grand up to yesterday evening, and now I've a few signs and symptoms, so I'm out of work and isolating at home until they get me swabbed and the test comes back.
    Ah, sure it'll be grand!
    I've been working with people Covid positive over the past four weeks, and haven't been ill.
    These are just some minor things, so for everyone's safety I'm just taking myself out of work until it's confirmed negative and I can get back in there.
    First day off sick in years!

Hope you're doing alright Cidey! Fingers crossed on the test results. I guess use this opportunity to try to put your feet up for a bit and get some gaming in :)

All good here. I started a new job in January so it's been pretty surreal trying to get on board with a new role/colleagues and then suddenly doing it all from home.

New job has me running courses for Paramedics, so any time I get a bit moany or start to feel sorry for myself over being cooped up, a Zoom call with one of them in their scrubs/PPE puts it in perspective!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Hope you're doing ok Mr Cider person!

All good with me, working from home for the last... forever! I only really get out to harvest PPE from my workshop printers or virtually via the drone.
    My daughter is enjoying some retro games these days so it's fun to do that together. She's a fan of Castle of Illusion on the MD, Diddy Kong racing on the N64 and Soul Calibur on the DC(she's 4 :)).

To all those who have responded, I'm delighted you and yours are safe and healthy, so many and labouring on despite the lock down.

To those who haven't responded, no worries, just be sure you all have important parts to play even if that's staying at home and playing videogames because, let's face it, staying home is how this virus gets about to hurt so many friends, family and neighbours.

But, we are near the end of the beginning, or perhaps the middle, with the toughest of the restrictions soon to be lifted.

So, on we go, stay safe, and stop playing Golden Axe and Streets of Rage, surely if this virus has proved anything it's that life is too short to waste on GoldenArse and Streets of Sh1te!

Oh, I got my results the other day, all good here, so I am back to duty tomorrow.
    I'm off the floor as well, back in policy development for the time being, but I imagine I could be re-deployed once again at a moments notice.
    I hope everyone here remains well, both the respondents on this thread and those who choose to just read and not reply.
    To you all, I hope you are keeping your health, sanity and I look forward to seeing you all in a month or two at my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Can't remember if I replied to this or not.

I've been working full time with the public all this time and been super busy. I'm working in food supply so I've had to swerve my business to a pre-order/delivery with contactless when it was usually a call in with cash place.

All good though. I'm healthy and busy and the whole family are good.

Great to see everyone here is still good too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

oh wow ... only seeing this now cidey. glad to hear you and everyone is ok.

been lucky where I live, able to get out walk and cycle and staying healthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ya glad to hear everyone is still healthy and making the best of the current situation. I guess we still have a while to go with this so stay safe :)

Just checking in again with everyone, see how you are all doing, now that things appear to be slowly getting back to some kind of normal, or whatever it was that we thought was normal to begin with.
    Over here, in Chez Cider, it's still business as usual, with my wife and I still working away, she as a staff nurse and I as a nurse manager.
    Cidonalad is 17 today and hasn't seen the inside of a school in months, at least his Pokemon biology and the geography of Galar Region, not sure it's likely to come up on the Leaving Cert in two years but here's hoping.
    So, how are you all?

Just a quick check in with folk, see how the A&R family are doing out there, some five months downstream from the beginning of all of this Covid-19 madness.

All well here, no real break in the work for me, still commuting out to Portrane to work most days, trying to make the role work without being able to do in-person evaluations of units, but lots of policy work and other things to keep me busy.

As far as gaming is concerned, probably buying too much online! From Ebay to Eshop it's all too easy, so going to ease back on that throttle with the recent purchase of a capable emulation PC and a GB Everdrive I'm good to go.
    Picked up a couple if reproductions too, with Ultracore being one of them, not sure what the attraction is to be honest!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All good here. My job hasn't slowed down at all and am glad I'm in an industry where I can still work. Missing all my friends though. A lot have vulnerable family members and I can't see them until this blows over.

Been keeping myself busy with too many videogames, not enough TV and a pokemon jigsaw.

Was keeping myself busy with my local drama group. Had a production in the pipeline that was to be put on outdoors but has been cancelled twice right before it was to be put on because of the government changing its mind about restrictions and making completely ridiculous decisions. Only 6 allowed in our massive hall if we put it on there. We also put on a play outside with 30 people and social distancing being in effect but now can't do that as the numbers are now 15. But if we had a theatre license we can have 50.... as if that changes anything.

All good here, working from home since March so not sure what the real world is like anymore :)
    Not playing a lot of retro games at the moment due to Flight Sim 2020 taking up a lot of time(100+ hours in the air over the last 2 weeks).

Apart from that, new babi on the way for December/January.

Master of the Universe

Actually started back in work full time again yesterday as the college reopened so we have to be on site.

Bit of a concern as all of my students are frontline medical staff doing a post grad (so they're still at work while studying) - it's also kind of annoying as I've had to stop visiting my grandparents now just in case. Still, quite nice to be in, I've a 40 minute cycle to work which I've really been missing.

Lockdown hasn't been too bad so far though, got back into Airsoft after many years away from it, and actually managed to get the missus into it too. So we've been spending a lot of our weekends in Roundwood shooting people. It's actually a great socially distance sport as it's totally non contact and you're miles away from everyone!

Steve X2 wrote: »

Congrats!

Wonderful news, congratulations!

Master of the Universe

Ah that's amazing news, congrats Steve X2!

Nice to hear something positive amid all the doom and gloom :)

Great news Steve!

Have a second one due October/November myself

Get as much gaming in now as you can! Haha

• Advertisement

Congrats as well.

All I have to show for my quarantine time is an almost complete 1000 piece Pokemon jigsaw. I feel left out.

Master of the Universe

Great news Steve!

No way? Congrats! I imagine their formative years upbringing will be based primarily around 90s toys and videogames? :D
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Congrats as well.

All I have to show for my quarantine time is an almost complete 1000 piece Pokemon jigsaw. I feel left out.

My low point was thinking it would be a great idea to try and train my cats to walk in harnesses so I could 'bring them with me for walks' once the lock down was over.

There's that point where you're dragging a cat shaped potato around the living room, it's arse buffing the floor, thinking 'wtf have I become?'

Great news Steve!

Yes very good news. This is number 2 for us as well.
    You thinking Covid or Covinia for names? :D

Rona is a great name, as in 'She coughin', she got the Rona!'

Or to tie it into videogames, Rorona, like Atelier Rorona.

1120.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Congratulations, always so glad to see bits of good news
    You're forgetting Quarantina
    Great news Steve!

Wow! Congratulations! Did you eventually decide on on the wallpaper for your office space? I just remembered that now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

No news, same stuff going on down here since I saw anyone last.

Myself and Atavan were streaming once a week but taking a break for a bit.
    Have a PC now so will have to learn to stream from that, Sparks and Dino helping on that but knowing me I'll need more :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Must be something in the air... we’ve another rugrat due early next year as well ��

Congrats to the others too ����

Must be something in the air... we’ve another rugrat due early next year as well ��

Congrats to the others too ����

What on earth...

You lot will have to get an appointment for the vets as soon as possible!

• Advertisement

We're pretty set on Covidicus "The Destructor"....that or Jim

Looks like he'll be here Halloween too so might just call him freddy krueger.

There was a baby boom expected alright, thank God we'll be in about 6 weeks before the rush!

Things have changed for me really, I used to que up for tickets for gigs and midnight launches of games....this Sunday I'll be at aldi at 7 in the morning to get a high chair, it's a very good high chair mind you. Normally it's €200 but aldi have it for €70 I think. Want any more info just PM me :P

Oh yeah that too........say goodbye to having money once you have kids too

Advertisement