Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which rainfaill forecast, Met.ie or Yr.no, is more accurate? Trying to make plans

• 12-06-2020 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Myself and a couple of friends were hoping to meet up for some socially distant outdoor chats in Dun Laoghaire over the weekend. I've been trying to decide which day is likely to be better, weather-wise, but the generally-in-agreement Met.ie and Yr.no have me stumped with their divergence this time.

These are charts for Dun Laoghaire Harbour, as "Dun Laoghaire" seems to target the centre of the county which is obviously a fair bit inland and thus prone to different weather conditions, we'd be meeting on the seafront near the East Pier.

Met Eireann:

Saturday -

WntQEpB.png

Sunday:

zA0NqDO.png

vs Yr:

WTeUmK4.png

In general, which tends to have a better handle on likely rainfaill, accepting as always that rainfall is always notoriously difficult to pin down a day or two in advance? For Dun Laoghaire, Yr is clearly suggesting that Saturday is likely to be the nicer afternoon, while Met Eireann has been steadfast for a couple of days now in suggesting that Sunday afternoon will have far less rain. Obviously complicated by the fact that both models predict rain for both days overnight the night before and lasting well into the morning.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

My advise is don't pay any attention to them.

It's very hard/almost impossible to accurately pin down showers at an exact location a day or two in advance, or even a few hours in advance.

In order to give you that hourly forecast, the app simply looks at whether the model forecasts a shower in your exact location at whatever time. Now maybe, the model isn't showing any rain at your location, but there's a massive shower just south of you. The model won't be able to predict the shower to that level of accuracy, so it's entirely possible it could rain in your location, despite the model predicting the shower further South.

Any of those forecasts for rainfall should be taken with a massive pinch of salt and used only as a rough guideline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Well we should know by now, did it rain in Dun Laoighre this morning?

Advertisement