Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-04-2020, 14:07   #16
doc_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comer1 View Post
Yes, but I assume they can also install Office 2016 or are they limited to using the online version of the Office apps?
I don’t think you call “install” anything on a chromebook, merely add extensions. You couldn’t install office the way you would on a laptop. And I don’t know enough about using Office on a chromebook to add anything further.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-04-2020, 15:12   #17
Treppen

There are a few schools that use chromebooks successfully but they seem to require a lot of knowledge around IT management and administration.

CESI forum are excellent for providing help. A lot of IT support on there.
24-04-2020, 18:40   #18
rainbowtrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppen View Post
There are a few schools that use chromebooks successfully but they seem to require a lot of knowledge around IT management and administration.

We have a mobile unit of 30 chromebooks in our school and they are simple to use. We book the unit for a class and students login using their username and password and going into their office 365 account and do everything from there. They save everything they do to their One Drive. It also means that if they are working on something at school they can also work on it from home if they want, and have access to all the microsoft apps even if they don't have them on their own laptop, tablet etc.
27-04-2020, 14:04   #19
wingnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppen View Post

Exact opposite, chromebooks are the easiest hardware to deploy and manage. As for getting them.back if you get management licence you can remotely disable them.

You'll pick them.up for around €250 per device.
09-05-2020, 13:40   #20
Random sample

I wonder has this money come through yet? No point prioritising 6th years now.
Advertisement
09-05-2020, 14:11   #21
Comer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random sample View Post
I wonder has this money come through yet? No point prioritising 6th years now.
We received a remittance notice with description "Additional ICT Grant Funding" for about six times the amount I was expecting. It was dsted 27th April.

This money will be needed for helping disadvantaged students for the September distance learning that will have to be continued well into next year.
09-05-2020, 14:13   #22
khalessi

It worked out for us as about €2500, wont go too far
09-05-2020, 14:18   #23
Comer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalessi View Post
It worked out for us as about €2500, wont go too far
Is that what ye got, I was expecting about €2,000, we got over €12,000??? I was s bit surprised but if your school only go 2k, I'm now very confused 😕
09-05-2020, 14:20   #24
khalessi

Well that is what we were told
Advertisement
11-05-2020, 21:12   #25
downthemiddle

Quote:
Is that what ye got, I was expecting about €2,000, we got over €12,000??? I was s bit surprised but if your school only go 2k, I'm now very confused ��
Very different rates between primary and secondary.

https://www.education.ie/en/Circular...l0032_2020.pdf
11-05-2020, 21:22   #26
Comer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by downthemiddle View Post
Very different rates between primary and secondary.

https://www.education.ie/en/Circular...l0032_2020.pdf
We are a post primary and I am not mistaken regarding the amount we received. I have a copy of both remittance notices, one is for PP ICT Grant 19-20 and over 26K, the other is for Additional ICT Grant Funding and is for over 13K. Guess I better not spend it just yet
12-05-2020, 15:45   #27
strawberrie

Our addition grant for a primary school with nearly 200 pupils is 950 euro.
Quote:
We are a post primary and I am not mistaken regarding the amount we received. I have a copy of both remittance notices, one is for PP ICT Grant 19-20 and over 26K, the other is for Additional ICT Grant Funding and is for over 13K. Guess I better not spend it just yet
Thanks from:
12-05-2020, 15:57   #28
Comer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrie View Post
Our addition grant for a primary school with nearly 200 pupils is 950 euro.
It makes no sense the amount we received???
12-05-2020, 16:06   #29
Ger Roe

The roll out of IT facilities in schools needs to be coordinated and managed by the Dept of Ed. Allowing schools to continue to muddle through their own IT setup is a costly experience as they all try to solve the same problems, individually, or else all employ the services of the one company that seems to be laughing all the way to the bank in being the assumed 'experts' in school IT.

The introduction of IT (especially tablets) in the irish school system is costing parents far more money than it should, because there are no central purchasing deals being done and no economies of scale being leveraged.

This scheme will be another waste of money - throw funding at the problem and pass the responsibility to individual schools, all of whom have wildly varying levels of competency in technical matters, and very little understanding of cost reduction potential.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion