Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Apart from the annual service how often does your car require repair?
1 21 61.76%
2 6 17.65%
3 2 5.88%
4 2 5.88%
5 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

04-05-2020, 15:16   #16
theteal

Why do you ask, OP? You having trouble?

I've had a 07 Mazda 3 1.6 petrol saloon for 6 years. Although I do fairly little mileage (<3000 pa) I service it yearly - well the auld fella does but I'll absorb the steps at some stage. We had a bit of play in the wishbone arms (MOT advisory) a few years ago so swapped them out. That's it since I've owned it, so I can't really click anything in your poll.

Last edited by theteal; 04-05-2020 at 15:19.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-05-2020, 15:27   #17
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post
Depends on the age of the car too. Some people are running older cars, some people running new cars.

So what you save in repairs, you pay in depreciation.
And there's no diffentiation between mechanical repairs and damage repairs.

I could have the most reliable car in the world but if I'm going to wrap it around a pole every so often, it's going to need to be repaired.
Thanks from:
05-05-2020, 16:36   #18
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post
Depends on the age of the car too. Some people are running older cars, some people running new cars.

So what you save in repairs, you pay in depreciation.
Or if you wait long enough and get lucky you may actually get appreciation.

Poll wise, repair wouldn't be a yearly thing. Needed a front wheel bearing last year, before that a dizzy cap and rotor and coil, but that must be five or six years ago now, an alternator repair about three years ago and a few rubber bushings I did over the years, but that's it really. Around 5-600 quid's worth in parts and labour as I mostly tackled the jobs myself over 14 years of ownership.
05-05-2020, 18:04   #19
beauf

Depends how old and how much mileage you do. On one car we had nothing for years then from about 16 yrs old, the repairs started mounting.
05-05-2020, 19:16   #20
corks finest

I put in 1 as there's no zero option, my car ( 2 nd Honda insight hasn't been in a garage, neither had my old one- never)
Advertisement
06-05-2020, 00:18   #21
newmember?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corks finest View Post
I put in 1 as there's no zero option, my car ( 2 nd Honda insight hasn't been in a garage, neither had my old one- never)
I put in 5 as this poll is ridiculous.
06-05-2020, 09:17   #22
GustavoFring

I put in 3 because nobody else had.
06-05-2020, 09:23   #23
Wildly Boaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I put in 3 because nobody else had.
I put in 4 cus you put in 3
06-05-2020, 09:45   #24
Kevin Irving

Entirely depends on the owner too. People have commented on numerous occasions that I seem to always have "problems" with my car.

The reality is, I like to take time looking after it, and do reasonable preventative maintenance, because I rely on it.

Even very basic things like making sure the car is tracking straight, wheels are balanced and tyre wear is even keeps pressure off the suspension bushings, less vibration, etc. reduces the likelihood of other issues. In some peoples eyes, any visit to a garage is a "problem" and I include servicing in that.

I'd like to do more, but don't have a garage, and there's only so much I can do on a modern diesel hybrid, without a professional mechanic.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion