Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-04-2020, 17:04   #76
deiseindublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheValeyard View Post
Well, zoom didn't go to well for the Institute today, shocking stuff
Curiosity is killing me?
Advertisement
27-04-2020, 17:13   #77
Random sample

We had to collate lists of students not working last week for management. Even that was enough work for me, without having to contact them myself.

As said above, much easier for management to do it. They can tell the parents which platforms and which subjects the child is not engaging with all in one phone call. I wouldn’t like to be the 9th teacher ringing some of them!
27-04-2020, 17:33   #78
TheValeyard

Online class, someone from other part of the world logged in, pulled out a gun waved it around and put it in his mouth. Started shouting abuse at people. Class was abruptly ended.
Thanks from:
27-04-2020, 17:40   #79
km79

Quote:
Online class, someone from other part of the world logged in, pulled out a gun waved it around and put it in his mouth. Started shouting abuse at people. Class was abruptly ended.
In your class?
27-04-2020, 18:51   #80
Postgrad10

There’s been instances were strangers hacked in to zoom classes and weren’t part of the class.
Advertisement
27-04-2020, 20:07   #81
bobbyss

[QUI OTE=TheValeyard;113284082]We all got emails from management this morning telling us to contact parents if students are not attending online classes.

It makes me angry. I'm doing my best to provide live classes, assignments and teach as best I can while minding my own kids.

I do not have time to be contacting a load of parents who should know the story at this stage.

/rant over.[/QUOTE]

I find that most annoying. It's the last thing you need to be doing. Is there no way for teachers to inform management of who is attending and who is not and let management take it from there?

You could have a situation where a number of teachers are contacting the same parents. And that could be counter productive.

How you are supposed to contact them?
(2) thanks from:
27-04-2020, 20:26   #82
History Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyss View Post
[QUI OTE=TheValeyard;113284082]We all got emails from management this morning telling us to contact parents if students are not attending online classes.

It makes me angry. I'm doing my best to provide live classes, assignments and teach as best I can while minding my own kids.

I do not have time to be contacting a load of parents who should know the story at this stage.

/rant over.
I find that most annoying. It's the last thing you need to be doing. Is there no way for teachers to inform management of who is attending and who is not and let management take it from there?

You could have a situation where a number of teachers are contacting the same parents. And that could be counter productive.

How you are supposed to contact them?[/quote]

We were using vsware to track student engagement and assignment submission and management asked us to stop as parents were ringing complaining about all the notes on vsware. We didn't give notes where we were aware of access/IT issues/ personal circumstances etc. but still we had to stop. Now we go through yearheads who ring home. Huge amount of extra work for them. And it is less transparent who is and isn't working.
Thanks from:
27-04-2020, 20:47   #83
solerina

Quote:
We all got emails from management this morning telling us to contact parents if students are not attending online classes.

/rant over.
You should write your own email saying it’s your job to teach the class it’s managements job to check on attendance, let them email/phone the parents. No way I am contacting parents in the present climate, we have no idea what’s happening in any students home life right now.
(4) thanks from:
27-04-2020, 21:56   #84
TheValeyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by km79 View Post
In your class?
No, happened in a school in Dublin
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-04-2020, 22:17   #85
Arlessienne

Quote:
No, happened in a school in Dublin
Was the person who did that a student of the class? Or was it a case of hacking or poor security? I believe you can use a waiting room feature now on Zoom so even people with the link have to be accepted to the meeting by the host.
27-04-2020, 22:21   #86
wirelessdude01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlessienne View Post
Was the person who did that a student of the class? Or was it a case of hacking or poor security? I believe you can use a waiting room feature now on Zoom so even people with the link have to be accepted to the meeting by the host.
That's what is the procedure when we join our staff meetings.
27-04-2020, 22:24   #87
TheValeyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlessienne View Post
Complete stranger it seems, probably poor security. But havent heard hacking or a poor setup, be interested to find out.
28-04-2020, 18:04   #88
Bobtheman

We have been advised with child protection not to use Zoom or Skype. If we need to talk to kids-call the parents and ask to speak to the Child.
Thanks from:
30-04-2020, 06:43   #89
TheValeyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobtheman View Post
We have been advised with child protection not to use Zoom or Skype. If we need to talk to kids-call the parents and ask to speak to the Child.
Who advised that? Not even teams or Google classroom?
02-05-2020, 21:40   #90
Dickie10

im just using email, its history so easy enough. keeping it as simple as we can is the only way to mind everyones wellbeing. i use a video to narrate over the notes once a week or explain the process of answering exam question to 5th years. Please teachers do not be under pressure to use IT your not comfortable with. if email is working thats great stick to it. Any principal putting pressure on teachers to use X,Y or Z , new fangled IT wants to go and get themselves a life.

the students who will be there tuned into zoom or whatever it is will still be the ones to have their work in on bang on deadline by email. the ones you dont here dickiebird from will not be there for zoom either. Im 36 and ok with tech to a degree but i think keep it simple and do what works for you is my advice.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion