Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT out

Options
  • 28-04-2020 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

My NCT is out since October. I had it booked but had to cancel due to work commitments. Then a parent was diagnosed with cancer and it went out of my head. When I went to book the centres were closed because of Covid 19.

Not defending myself. I know I'm in the wrong.

But I'm terrified, with so many Garda checkpoints that my car will be seized. Does anyone know if they're likely to do this at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Probably best to be honest and ring a station to ask. They're taking cars for no NCT, tax and insurance so I wouldn't chance it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Okay. I was just wondering, as my tax and insurance are okay and I'm only really driving around local roads to keep the car from seizing up, would they accept my explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Okay. I was just wondering, as my tax and insurance are okay and I'm only really driving around local roads to keep the car from seizing up, would they accept my explanation?

Honestly, if you tell them that you're just out for a drive to stop the car seizing up - they'll probably take it.

That isn't a necessary thing to do, nor is it a necessary journey. The lack of NCT will give them an easy route.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Nobody here can speak for an individual guard so it's pointless question to ask here really... As the above poster mentioned why don't you ring your local station andmd explain your situation and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Made in China 2040

Don't ring the station, just book the test or have proof you've booked the test you'll be grand, keep the tax and insurance up to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They will likely be easy in you, having the car all road legal in every other way will help your case.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD: Moved to Motors - Please familiarise yourselves with the motoring charter here before posting.

You are no longer in AH

I can't book the test. They're not taking bookings at the moment.

I'm only taking it out around the side roads on my estate. I'm not driving any distance. I'm also bringing my mother, who I'm caring for, with me as she hasn't even been allowed out to the shops since early March as she's at such high risk. Bringing her for a very short drive in the car is stopping her from going crazy. That's my main worry. That I won't be able to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

There's checkpoints everywhere. I wouldn't take the risk.
    You might be ok if it was out in March, but I think the likelihood of it being taken from you is significant considering it's out 6 months.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm also bringing my mother with me as she hasn't even been allowed out to the shops since early March as she's at such high risk. Bringing her for a very short drive in the car is stopping her from going crazy. That's my main worry. That I won't be able to do that.

You should absolutely not be doing that.

What if you're involved in an accident, and your mother (and you) are taken to hospital?

A. you could be taking up 2 beds that Covid-19 patients might need.
    B. you're massively increasing the risk of contracting Covid-19 be being in a hospital.

If the car is correctly maintained, it won't seize up by not being driven for a few weeks or even months. If you need to drive, drive alone to/from the shops, and that should be sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I'm only taking it out around the side roads on my estate. I'm not driving any distance. I'm also bringing my mother, who I'm caring for, with me as she hasn't even been allowed out to the shops since early March as she's at such high risk. Bringing her for a very short drive in the car is stopping her from going crazy. That's my main worry. That I won't be able to do that.

Is this thread a piss take?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

McCrack wrote: »
    Is this thread a piss take?

I was thinking the same.

Anyway, I saw a comment on a Munster Garda Facebook page a few weeks ago saying they would be taking common sense with expired NCTs, if it's out of date because it wasn't done over the lift fiasco, or because of the centres shutting down then you would be ok if the car looked roadworthy.
    A car 6/7 months out of date and taking unnecessary journeys will be seized I'd imagine. Even one of the more forgiving guards will have a limit to someone taking the mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

By the letter of the law, you're not allowed to drive a vehicle in a public place. The type of road, or the distance you're driving is irrelevant, unfortunately. That initial cancellation is what's done for you. You are aware of the penalties you could face, yeah? You're in a difficult spot fella, and I sympathise. You need to get hold of a vehicle with a valid NCT, to be on the safe side.

Hope your mum is doing okay, by the way.

Thanks. Anyone know when NCT centres are likely to reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

NCT has an extension, but it only applies to cars with a test due date on or after 28 March 2020.
    https://www.ncts.ie/1115

So unfortunately it doesn't apply to you OP.

No-one really knwos when centres will reopen.
    Keep an eye on NCT site https://www.ncts.ie/1115 and news thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058065043

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement