Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini digger overheating

• 26-03-2019 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hi all recently bought a 5 tone case mini digger and it will go to red on gauge after about 20 mins work ... will never boil tho!! Got radiator tested and cap were all good, replaced fan belt aswell!! If i let it idle it will cool itself in a few minutes!! Would it ever be a case of the radiator is just too small?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 OilBaron

rs8 wrote: »
    Hi all recently bought a 5 tone case mini digger and it will go to red on gauge after about 20 mins work ... will never boil tho!! Got radiator tested and cap were all good, replaced fan belt aswell!! If i let it idle it will cool itself in a few minutes!! Would it ever be a case of the radiator is just too small?

Might seem obvious but did you blow out the radiator? Also check the air filter and blow that out if it’s full of dust?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

might be worth checking that the thermostat is working correctly, and opening when it should, and by enough to let the water circulate. When the gauge gets into the red, carefully put your hand on the top hose of the radiator, if it's still relatively cool, then the thermostat is suspect, if it's too hot to touch, then the radiator is not cooling adequately.

A really obscure possibility is that the water pump internals are either damaged or not working correctly, so though the external pulley is rotating, the internal pump fins are either not rotating, or (even more obscure) have eroded away and there's nothing there to actually circulate the water any more.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

rs8 wrote: »
    Would it ever be a case of the radiator is just too small?

No the radiator isn't too small, it would have been fine when the machine was new and , so assuming everything is in good condition, it is still perfectly adequate.

Most common reason for farm or plant equipment to overheat is lack of airflow. Ensure that there is good airflow through the radiator you can blow it out with compressed air

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭davidk1394

By the sounds of it. It is more than likely the thermostat is gone in the machine. Had the same problem in our JCB

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Is the hydraulic oil pressure ok when operating ?
    Any chance hydraulics oil filter is blocked thus overloading the engine when running hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

If you do suspect the thermostat, you can take it out and put it into very hot water to see that it opens when heated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭9935452

I had a digger at one stage that started to overheat getting worse over time . The internals of the radiator were blocked . she was choked up and couldnt circulate and cool water

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

HI,

iv same problem with mine.

But, with mine, it actually stopped dead. I let it cool down, refilled the rad, and it started again.

Then same thing happened again after 20 mins drivin, and I did the same , and it started again once cooled.

Whats making her shut off ? is this a safety feature???

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭rs8

Well lads I never got to the problem really .... thermostat isnt in the engine someone has it gone already!! I struggled away with it for the few its I needed it for!! Currently thinking of replacing engine as it's not the may west anyway!! My problem now is the original engine was a Mitsubishi (so my research is telling me) currently I've a isuzu in mine... !! Would the pumps have been changed aswell ? I take it I just cant buy any engine off done deal that's roughly the same hp as it wount measure up to bell housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,339 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Shirley you need to put a new thermostat in the engine. Shirley it might actually stay cool then ? That and blowing Rad could sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭rs8

I'd imagine the last owner was having the same problem and took it out to keep the water circulating?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,339 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Thermostat will regulate the cooling of engine better, best to fit a new one, and blow rad out. A water pump should be fitted too, or checked, again should be very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Whatever about the original engine, If I was looking to source a replacement engine I would get then exact same as what’s in it. That way you know the same engine mounts and brackets and anything will fit.

Maybe you can get the current one rebuilt? At least you know the engine and the rebuilder will see the guts of it too. A second hand engine could be a real lucky /unlucky dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Would you consider getting a plant mechanic to have a look at it before changing the engine, there is something that is causing the overheating, and you need to properly investigate it and diagnose the problem.

Would hate to end up with the same problem after an engine swap, or find out that it was just the impellor had come off the w/pump or something simple like that

I always try to diagnose and prove a fault before spending money, saves a lot in the long run

Advertisement