Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How the union is run in your schoool

• 20-04-2020 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else has thoughts or experience of this. I'm a committed union member but very disillusioned at present about how it is being run in my school.

We have had the same school steward for 6-7 years and meetings are pretty much one way communication and monologues reflecting their personal views. Also, matters for discussion are filtered through the steward with most of my occasional concerns never making it to the agenda - not that we ever actually get an agenda in advance. The issues pursued overwhelmingly seem to represent the views of a clique of staff who keep the steward in situ. A number of members have left the union in disillusionment but I've stayed in for the protection it gives me should a serious issue ever arise and I need to call on head office.

Is this an isolated case or is it happening elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

linguist wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else has thoughts or experience of this. I'm a committed union member but very disillusioned at present about how it is being run in my school.

We have had the same school steward for 6-7 years and meetings are pretty much one way communication and monologues reflecting their personal views. Also, matters for discussion are filtered through the steward with most of my occasional concerns never making it to the agenda - not that we ever actually get an agenda in advance. The issues pursued overwhelmingly seem to represent the views of a clique of staff who keep the steward in situ. A number of members have left the union in disillusionment but I've stayed in for the protection it gives me should a serious issue ever arise and I need to call on head office.

Is this an isolated case or is it happening elsewhere?

Have you phoned head office to see if there is a time limit on the amount of time a person can be shop steward? I thought it was two years and then re-election if no one else wants to put themselves forward?

TBH if I had a concern, I would be ringing head office directly.

I don't know if you but attending branch meetings is the best way to get info and advice - you also get to know your CEC rep who can raise your concerns higher up.

TBH a shop steward only distributes the union magazine and ballots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

You could go to the meetings yourself and then challenge what you think is being misrepresented. All members of the union can go to meetings, can they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

RealJohn wrote: »
    You could go to the meetings yourself and then challenge what you think is being misrepresented. All members of the union can go to meetings, can they not?

Yes union meetings are open to all members in whatever branch they are affiliated to. People don't care enough to attend though. It's the same faces at our branch meetings for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Treppen

RealJohn wrote: »

I think there might be a power imbalance within the 'clique'. Sure members can go to the meetings in the school but the agenda might be carefully managed.

Every 2 years 2 names are picked out of a hat in our school. Once you've done it your name is moved to the bottom of the list. I thought all schools did this!!

You need to contact head office.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

The best and fairest way ,as recommended by HQ of ASTI is to have a 3 person group,one is the Union Rep,the other 2 are there to assist and to accompany union member to Principal etc if there is an issue.
    One of the other 2 then assumes the role of School Steward when the year has passed.
    This works well and can have people of differing views representing the staff who may have different view on issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭doc_17

Is there a workplace committee?

Advertisement