Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gut Bacteria out of whack-Need advice on how to get my system back to full health

• 08-07-2020 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

I've been out of work almost 6 weeks due to complications from a ruptured appendicitis but even before that I had been experiencing digestive issues. Since my surgery I was on a battery of strong antibiotics so my whole guy flora most be totally out of whack. But before my latest health scare the symptoms regarding my digestive system included 1. GERD 2. Poor appetite 3. Getting full quite easily and 4. Bloatedness. My left colon sees to be bloated all the time. I have been trying to come up with a strategy to help me get my system back to normal. I am quite over weight at 20 stone and only 6 feet tall I would imagine losing the weight would help improve my digestive problems and getting in exercise would also help. My dietary habits have been quite poor also so I probably need to get in more fruit and veg and less processed foods. And lastly I was drinking quite a bit before my surgery but that's been curtailed up to now Here's the meal plan I'm considering

1.Breakfast- 3 large egg omelete,1 slice of cheese, 1 slice of ham, spinach, onion, tomato

2. Midmorning-Kefir yogurt and blueberries

3. Lunch Wrap with chicken and salad and an apple

4. Dinner-Steak or salmon with lots of veg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What has your doctor said?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

It might sound horrible, but cabbage juice is a miracle for gut problems, you can use any red/white/green cabbage but personally I prefer red cabbage, you can mix a quarter of beetroot or orange juice or similar into it if you find the cabbage to be to over powering in the beginning.
    Make 1/2 litre twice a day or 1 litre once a day and drink it in one go or over 5 minutes.
    I find it easiest to drink with all pulp filtered out and cold, so make the juice and filter and put in the fridge for an hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

JH_raheny wrote: »
    It might sound horrible, but cabbage juice is a miracle for gut problems, you can use any red/white/green cabbage but personally I prefer red cabbage, you can mix a quarter of beetroot or orange juice or similar into it if you find the cabbage to be to over powering in the beginning.
    Make 1/2 litre twice a day or 1 litre once a day and drink it in one go or over 5 minutes.
    I find it easiest to drink with all pulp filtered out and cold, so make the juice and filter and put in the fridge for an hour or two.

How do you measure the effectiveness of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

How do you measure the effectiveness of this?
    It would be an individual thing I guess, it might not have the exact effect on everybody, but anybody who is suffering from the likes of IBS or similar should try it, cabbage is cheap so you have nothing to lose 😉
    Crohns disease is another quite serious thing it can often help with.

Advertisement