Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric gate contacts

• 24-05-2019 7:57am

Do the ring or nest doorbells have a set of contacts to open electric gates?
    cant find a solid answer on either.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Do the ring or nest doorbells have a set of contacts to open electric gates?
    cant find a solid answer on either.

thanks

No they don't, I did a lot of research at the end of last year and the only all in one unit is the Doorbird. I didn't fancy the risk of the Doorbird based off the middling reviews.

Recently the iSmartgate was released that will do all the the gate functions but none of the intercom function so you could do an iSmartgate with a Ring (or the like) but you will have to change app to open the gate once you have been buzzed via Ring.

Seems insane that they dont support it,
    From my limited research this would work,could install it inside at the handset (have an existing system).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Wifi-Garage-Door-Remote-Control-Gate-Door-Controller-Opener-Universal/223448489782?hash=item3406915f36:m:mt5Rv94H-Mp02mKH8M8_aYg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Seems insane that they dont support it,
    From my limited research this would work,could install it inside at the handset (have an existing system).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Wifi-Garage-Door-Remote-Control-Gate-Door-Controller-Opener-Universal/223448489782?hash=item3406915f36:m:mt5Rv94H-Mp02mKH8M8_aYg

Anything that can short the gate button on the intercom will work but its not going to have much smarts. You can make a raspberry pi or arduino do it easily and integrate it with google/apple/other. The big advantage of the iSmartgate unit is it has the contact sensor that lets it know the gate status.

A few times Ive gone out and accidentally paused the gate partially open with no way to know. Having a smart camera pointed at it helps there too though.

I'll prob go down the iSmartgate Lite setup soon, I've verified my control board is compatible but I haven't opened the motor housing to see what wiring is like. If it had been around early in the year when the gate went in id have got the installer to do it without a 2nd thought. I cant remember whats behind the intercom panel (full Cat 5 or if they split a single Cat 5 between keypad and intercom) to consider replacing the intercom with a Ring or the like.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Do the ring or nest doorbells have a set of contacts to open electric gates? cant find a solid answer on either.

The ring is a physical door bell. The Nest Hello is not.

With a ring your old bell will work when the internet is down

You couldn use the the ring to do it and add a chime

All this would do is open the gate when the bell is pressed though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

If you want to switch LV volt free you have a few options.

I open my gate with a lightwaverf relay

There is the Sonoff LV 5 V relay this would work very well.

I've done exactly what you want to do.

I intercepted the cabe going to my intercom, popped it into a joint box and powered the relay from 220V it's the size of a matchbox. Works in Alexa etc. I

I've a couple of questions for you.

What voltage have you at the phone?

There are units for 8 euro with 5 V in and volt free after that

Also you can look at butchering a sonoff pro if you have one if you have 220V near by to get 22OV in and volt free on the far side.

The Sonoff LV is available at a 5 to 32 Vdc input, or a cheaper 5 V only unit.

Send me a pm of you want to talk through it. I've a spare Sonoff LV if you are stuck, they take ages to come in from China.

Think I might know you from the retro games forum
    . Regardless if you can fit it in your intercom you need only spend about 10 euro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement