Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SonOff Low Cost Wifi Switches for Home Automation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

You can solder an extension wire across the switch terminals and wire it to any switch you want

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

kenmc wrote:
    You can solder an extension wire across the switch terminals and wire it to any switch you want

Thank you.

I might do that you.

But I won't get access to all the units as some are remote so that I can pick up a neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭GryKyo

@bluemachaveli: from your photo I am guessing you are re-flashing firmware? The ftdi board is a hint here, but if you are then you're free to program GPIO14, conveniently broken out through the extra pin of the programming header as an additional input or output. Do this by connecting whatever you choose between this pin and gnd.
    For a second GPIO: If you are re-flashing then you no longer need the factory functionality of the stock button. You can simply solder to the two switch pins closest to the edge of the pcb and again program this (GPIO0) as you choose in your new firmware. Even if you are using the stock Sonoff firmware this input can be remotely wired to any kind of normally open pushbutton contacts.

Of course this begs the question; why would you use a Sonoff at all of a NodeMCU or Wemos D1 Mini for example will program up the same with your custom firmware, break out more GPIO and even an analog channel for sensors?

To my mind at the current price of just over €4 for a basic Sonoff which:
    1. Comes in a plastic case
    2. Has its own mains - dc switching power supply (pretty well implemented too)
    3. A reasonable mains powered relay
    4. Comes with a decent firmware & app for non "hacker" deployment
    5. Readily accepts many proven and maintained firmware platforms
    6. Can be programmed by you, your way via Arduino IDE
    7. Comes with a programming header
    8. Has additional GPIO for re-flashed firmware

And is just a lot of function and option for the money. Consider the price of a pint as a yardstick ffs!

PLEASE BE AWARE
    That some of the best features from above make the Sonoff dangerous as a development board. Never use the internal power supply powered off mains while the unit is open for programming! Remember that the relay is permanently connected to the live phase of your mains connection and the mains neutral is permanently wired to the output; this is NOT a volt-free relay contact!

There are other things you can do to bling up or pimp your Sonoff like flash memory upgrades. This makes a big difference if you install the OTA (Over the air) programming components. These allow you to re-flash your Sonoff and at any time in the future to tweak, modify or replace your program wirelessly over WiFi, so handy if it is deployed remotely.

Jonathan Oxer of the SuperhouseTV YouTube channel pot this blog post up with lots of handy text and images and a link to a very insightful video here:
    http://www.superhouse.tv/21-six-sonoff-secrets/

Hope this helps

Garry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Hi,

Does the 4ch pro work with Google home out of the box ?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭GryKyo

Hi,

Does the 4ch pro work with Google home out of the box ?

It does in so far as you have to setup the connection to Google Home. I have only used Amazon Alexa to control the Sonoff products and it is as easy as installing a recipe on the Alexa control panel. I guess Google is as straight forward.

The eWeLink app does work with Google Home and the 4ch Pro. This should help: https://www.itead.cc/blog/sonoff-work-with-google-home

Garry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

kenmc wrote:

That's all you need for this to be a basic heating switch ( 5 amp) Pop the SONOFF in a deep back box, fit a momentary switch on to a one gang blank plate and you are away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

GryKyo wrote: »
    It does in so far as you have to setup the connection to Google Home. I have only used Amazon Alexa to control the Sonoff products and it is as easy as installing a recipe on the Alexa control panel. I guess Google is as straight forward.

The eWeLink app does work with Google Home and the 4ch Pro. This should help: https://www.itead.cc/blog/sonoff-work-with-google-home

Garry

Cheers, just been checking though, it seems to be a bit hit and miss with Google home looking at the forum for the 4ch unit.

Cheers, just been checking though, it seems to be a bit hit and miss with Google home looking at the forum for the 4ch unit.

I don't have a four channel.

But I understand it shows up like four single units.

For the laugh I connected an RF one up to my heating, works well. Little button is flimsy
    Using the app is brilliant. You've to share the device with someone else, can't share an account (I'm sure there's a workaround) but it's fine, good idea auctually.

Google home is perfect, paired it up, called it heating ( nickname)
    Ok Google turn on heating (and off) worked perfectly.

Have some work to do on the RF though. I might be in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

@Garry Thanks for the tips, the Superhouse videos are great!

I flashed everything with the Tasmota firmware over the weekend with no issues. My main aim here was to have everything working with Apple Home Kit and Siri (everyone in the house has an iOS device). A quick overview of my setup so far:

Living Room:
    1 x Sonoff Touch on the wall controlling the main light.
    1 x Sonoff Basic controlling the fire (when I say fire, it's just a few logs wrapped in fairy lights).

Kitchen:
    1 x Sonoff Touch on the wall for the main light.

Bathroom:
    1 x Sonoff Basic hidden behind a mirror to control one of these.

All the above are controlled by OpenHab2 & an MQTT server running on a Raspberry Pi with a Homekit plugin. All works perfect with the phones so far. The good thing with this setup is that it's easily used with Google Home & Alexia with almost no further config required. Zones are working really well so far. For example: Upstairs/Downstairs or individual rooms.

lxHuh3El.jpg4jNE24tl.jpgm1AmdBNl.jpg

I plan on using the spare Sonoff Basics for the Christmas lights in a few weeks as well as gradually upgrading the rest of the house to the Touch Switches. I also need to investigate using a motion sensor to trigger the bathroom light as it has no accessible switch at the minute. I'd also like to set up a small dedicated access point to keep the whole thing off my main network.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

I trialed one of the sonoff basic units in my house for a number of weeks now (hallway lights) its a great bit of kit only problem was the other half would turn off the light switch, minor issue LOL. I am planning on using a 4 channel to control my heating as i have 3 heating zone, if only sonoff had a dimming module i would have it installed throughout the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

A friend of mine installed a 4 way unit on his heating zone controls - it drives contactors that are also controlled in parallel by a traditional timer. He's delighted with how it worked out.

air wrote: »
    A friend of mine installed a 4 way unit on his heating zone controls - it drives contactors that are also controlled in parallel by a traditional timer. He's delighted with how it worked out.

I will be using the same method with the contactors, i will not be using a timer as herself loves to mess around with them and the heating will be on 24/7 when it is not needed :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I have a spare T1 Uk switch if it is any use to someone. Did not do my homework about the requirement for a neutral connection from the fuse board.

john4321 wrote:
    I have a spare T1 Uk switch if it is any use to someone. Did not do my homework about the requirement for a neutral connection from the fuse board.

I've a spot for one I might take it off your hands

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Stoner wrote: »
    I've a spot for one I might take it off your hands

You're more than welcome to it. Im not going to go to the trouble of getting an electrician in to run a cable for the neutral.

tweek84 wrote: »
    I will be using the same method with the contactors, i will not be using a timer as herself loves to mess around with them and the heating will be on 24/7 when it is not needed :D:D

I upgraded my heating this week and started programming my sonoff to control it unfortunately the sonoff 4 ch only has 8 slots (on and off again takes 2 slots) for scheduling that will only get my heating sorted for the morning :(:( the sonoff basic has the same number of slots for scheduling.

I haven't looked at flashing sonoff equipment but when it is flashed can more schedules be set.

Don't get me wrong it is a good product for the price, i just have to get more controllers now.

tweek84 wrote:
    I upgraded my heating this week and started programming my sonoff to control it unfortunately the sonoff 4 ch only has 8 slots (on and off again takes 2 slots) for scheduling that will only get my heating sorted for the morning the sonoff basic has the same number of slots for scheduling.

IFTTT support might help this with a Google calendar / SONOFF applet

Still not there though

http://support.iteadstudio.com/support/discussions/topics/11000011792/page/2?url_locale=

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Just installed a switch onto a towel rail in the bathroom which should help as it was on 24 hours a day.

I allready want to take the next step tho, Whats the best temp sensor pref wireless as its going into the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

So is this an actual physical switch? I have a switch in my hot press that turns the pump on and off. Would like to use it for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

So is this an actual physical switch? I have a switch in my hot press that turns the pump on and off. Would like to use it for that.

They all have a physical button and it toggles the output when pressed on the later models.
    You should consult an electrician to determine if one of these is suitable for your pump.

• Advertisement

Agree as. above.

I'm sure that your electrician could advise you'd need an isolation switch before the SONOFF as the toggle button is only an electronic switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

What's the current lead time from itead for T1 2 gang wall light switch? Is there another recommended distributor?

Looking to get a 2 gang light switch to replace an existing 2 gang switch where one gang is for 2x 5A lamp sockets and the other gang is for 6x ceiling LED's. That shouldn't be an issue should it? I have a neutral wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Amazon sell them for a couple of quid more. I went with that and had it next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

afatbollix wrote: »
    Amazon sell them for a couple of quid more. I went with that and had it next day.

Sorry, should of specified the T1 wall light switch as only see that on Amazon for China supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Anyone know if the Homeeasy RF's will work with the Sonoff RF's?

I replaced my homeeasy RF sockets with the sonoff's. Problem now is herself is just pressing the button on the sonoff, so the heating is on all the time! At least from the Homeasy, she would limit it using the countdown function on the HE100 RF control.

I've ordered a RF module for a test, they're so cheap, but probably after xmas by the time it arrives.

If I knew the HE codes worked with it, I'd order the remaining modules for the rest of the zones.

(Don't ask why she won't use the APP!)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

I'm really thinking about buying the Sonoff 4 Channel switch as a replacement for my boiler timer. I really only have one question, it there a way to mimic the "boost" function of boiler timers.....so you set a particular channel to come on for x minutes......preferably 30 or 60 minutes.
    Many thanks.

JaCrispy wrote:
    I'm really thinking about buying the Sonoff 4 Channel switch as a replacement for my boiler timer. I really only have one question, it there a way to mimic the "boost" function of boiler timers.....so you set a particular channel to come on for x minutes......preferably 30 or 60 minutes. Many thanks.

They are working on an IFTTT channel. I think it will be a feature.

As someone else said the 4 channel still only comes with 8 time slots, so you would be better with single devices with 8 time slots each. Remember, each 'ON' is one event, as is each 'OFF', so in theory, just 4 on / off's available. (SONOFF refers to these as 'schedule')

As for boost, this is easy do. Just set the device to 'ON', then in the 'timer' (not schedule) to a set duration and press 'play'. It will then count down and change the state. You can do in the reverse to, set the device OFF, and the countdown to turn it on after an elapsed period, although this isn't something I'd see use for in a heating application.

Just to be aware too that the 'timer' also uses up a slot. You don't have to enter a duration each time. All you need to do is to re-play a previous duration.

So, you could set up say a morning, afternoon, and nighttime on/off schedule (6 slots), and keep 2 for 'boost', have one set say 30 minutes, another set for 60.

It's very easy anyway to delete the timers and start a new one anyway, it' not inflexible at all, so you wouldn't be confined to the examples I gave if you went that way.

A few more slots would be handy alright, but it's probably a hardware as opposed to firmware issue(?)

Strange they appear to have only kept 8 slots on the 4 channel. One would have thought it would have 32...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

CGI_3 wrote: »
    As someone else said the 4 channel still only comes with 8 time slots, so you would be better with single devices with 8 time slots each. Remember, each 'ON' is one event, as is each 'OFF', so in theory, just 4 on / off's available. (SONOFF refers to these as 'schedule')

As for boost, this is easy do. Just set the device to 'ON', then in the 'timer' (not schedule) to a set duration and press 'play'. It will then count down and change the state. You can do in the reverse to, set the device OFF, and the countdown to turn it on after an elapsed period, although this isn't something I'd see use for in a heating application.

Just to be aware too that the 'timer' also uses up a slot. You don't have to enter a duration each time. All you need to do is to re-play a previous duration.

So, you could set up say a morning, afternoon, and nighttime on/off schedule (6 slots), and keep 2 for 'boost', have one set say 30 minutes, another set for 60.

It's very easy anyway to delete the timers and start a new one anyway, it' not inflexible at all, so you wouldn't be confined to the examples I gave if you went that way.

A few more slots would be handy alright, but it's probably a hardware as opposed to firmware issue(?)

Strange they appear to have only kept 8 slots on the 4 channel. One would have thought it would have 32...

Thanks for CGI, very informative. I never time my heating at all and constantly work off the "boost" 1 hr function. So in this scenario you would recommend the 4 channel sonoff or 4 separate devices?

• Advertisement

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Thanks for CGI, very informative. I never time my heating at all and constantly work off the "boost" 1 hr function. So in this scenario you would recommend the 4 channel sonoff or 4 separate devices?

I'm guessing it would work fine for your application. You just turn on the zone, and you'll have lets call them 8 x shortcuts to differing length's of boost.

I don't have a four channel to check this on though, and won't be getting one due to this limitation...

Let us know how you fare out.

Advertisement