Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ring Pro doorbell in Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Sure one of my mates mothers house was broken into, they woke up the next morning went downstairs into the sitting room and the entire window was removed and leaning up against the wall in the front garden. they took out the whole front window without making a sound, robbed the tv and some other stuff and took off.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Anyone had problems with the ring pro dropping connection with 5GHz router ?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

sharkman wrote: »
    Anyone had problems with the ring pro dropping connection with 5GHz router ?
    Yes, I did. 5ghz doesnt penetrate as well as 2.4ghz. I ended up buying a 5ghz extender and have it plugged in in the hall. No problems since

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

beanian wrote: »
    Yes, I did. 5ghz doesnt penetrate as well as 2.4ghz. I ended up buying a 5ghz extender and have it plugged in in the hall. No problems since

It doesn't seem to be a signal strength problem as the Ring app says signal is very good and there's not much distance between them . May try switching to 2.5 .

sharkman wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to be a signal strength problem as the Ring app says signal is very good and there's not much distance between them . May try switching to 2.5 .

OK that is different to what i experienced. In my case the Ring App listed my signal strength as 'Poor'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Hi, I have read through this thread with great interest. I am looking (or more likely getting an electrician) to install a Ring pro doorbell for me. I am planning on continuing to use my current mechanical bell/chime. You can see bell below fuse box.
    How do I know what existing transformer my bell is working off ? I have had a look around the bell and fuse box but can't see anything. No.11 is for the bell.
    I have two pictures attached below.
    Was the install difficult ? I have wired sockets and lights in the past without any difficulty.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

2hsb053.jpg

bgeag3.jpg

Anyone ordered through their website and get stung for Duty . Got a nasty invoice from FedEx this morning for €70 .:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Ring pro is now on Amazon 229stg

For those of you looking to integrate your Ring doorbell into Home Assistant (or another hub) I have found Stringify to be excellent.
    I have strigify set up to use the HTTP binary sensor functionality of home assistant to set a sensor on and off and also another sensor to record the last motion time. Compared to IFTTT it blows it out of the water. The events fire instantly(compared to several minutes after the fact on IFTTT).

As an aside,You also can get handles to the video/video url associated with the event. I set up a quick test that would upload a motion event's video to flickr and it worked first time. Very cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nadeise

Great thread, thanks all for the many tips and how to's. I'm thinking of getting the Pro.

I have a couple of questions which don't seem to have been asked or answered already, maybe you guys can help...

1. Do you need planning permission in Ireland to install a video doorbell?
    2. Are there any issues with recording of the public from a Legal point of view?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

nadeise wrote: »
    Great thread, thanks all for the many tips and how to's. I'm thinking of getting the Pro.

I have a couple of questions which don't seem to have been asked or answered already, maybe you guys can help...

1. Do you need planning permission in Ireland to install a video doorbell?
    2. Are there any issues with recording of the public from a Legal point of view?

Thanks

I didn't hear you the first few times, so I'll refer you to this post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102754844&postcount=2

Sorry, I found this thread last. Could really do with someone's help with my questions in this thread if that works?

Sorry, I found this thread last. Could really do with someone's help with my questions in this thread if that works?

Sure, just have a look here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102754833&postcount=6

When I look there I only see my own questions? Sorry, it looks like I'm doing something wrong?

When I look there I only see my own questions? Sorry, it looks like I'm doing something wrong?

That's what happens when you post the same question on 17 different threads... You end up in an infinite loop of nonsense, like a doorbell video stuck in freezeframe...

As for the legalities of using a doorbell... I don't know...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd assume it is no different then CCTV cameras on houses, business, etc.

Hi nadeise,

On your points:
    1. No, people have been installing private cctv system in their homes for years. This is no different, albeit in a different form factor.
    2. Not that i'm aware, although you question has prompted me to look into this:
    See the below excerpt from the data protection commissioners website
    A system used to control the perimeter of a building for security purposes will usually be easy to justify. The use of CCTV systems in other circumstances - for example, to constantly monitor employees, customers or students - can be more difficult to justify and could involve a breach of the Data Protection Acts
    So given the ring is used to secure your premises I don't see any issue.

I think Bluefoam is intentionally sending you around the houses to 'punish' you for posting the same question on multiple threads....:rolleyes:

@bk - thanks, do you know if putting CCTV on your house requires any approval from any authority?

@beanian - I guess it is deserved in that case. :) Lesson learned for next time, I just hadn't come across this thread right away. Thanks for your replies on both queries, that helps a lot!

From chatting with Ring via a support case they tell me if I order from their website in dollars they'll recognise my location and send me the correct version of the Ring Pro (to include chime and transformer). It sounds and looks like a great product.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

beanian wrote: »
    2. Not that i'm aware, although you question has prompted me to look into this:
    See the below excerpt from the data protection commissioners website

Which is interesting with relation to using IP cameras like Canary to monitor employees like baby sitters, cleaners, etc. in the home.

Normally you are supposed to inform employees of CCTV. However I think there use in the home, for security and other purposes, where they then happen to catch a baby sitter, etc. doing something wrong is a grey aware as far as I know.
    @bk - thanks, do you know if putting CCTV on your house requires any approval from any authority?

First of all I'm not a solicitor, so no guarantee. But my understanding is that as long as they are discreet, then they don't require planning permission.

Obviously if you are putting up big massive, unsightly ones and a big new pole to put them on, then that would be a different story.

I can't imagine there would be any issue with something as small and discreet as Ring Pro.

http://www.iccl.ie/closed-circuit-tv-(cctv).html

BTW I think what most people do with these sort of things is just go ahead and do it. If a neighbour later complains and the planning authority agrees, then they just order you to take it back down. Not the end of the world and not like you are going to get locked up or anything like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

This is a question for the home security forum guys.
    We are entitled to a copy of the footage collected from CCTV in public places . So the feature that allows you to cut out the recording view is handy on the ring pro.
    Your house is a different story. If you have a childminder in your home then you need to pay them like any employee and they are entitled to the same rights, you are an employer and your home is the workplace. I'd ask on the HSS forum if I wanted clarity

Anyone need a Ring Pro Wedge Kit , to mount your doorbell flat against angled siding or use the kit to angle your doorbell downward to limit unwanted motion.

I have one unopened if anyone needs it .

https://ring.com/products?from=accessories#accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Thread on Reddit about Ring uploading to China. Big security concerns apparently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/comments/5xa0h1/ring_pro_doorbell_calling_china/?st=IZVFW6UJ&sh=25fe6635

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

There are a good few original ring doorbells on Amazon warehouse at the moment for about £75 if anyone interested.

I just grabbed one as under €100 was my sweet spot to purchase...

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Hey guys,

Great thread.... one of the issues I came across was the delay in motion detection, i.e. you only really see people walking away. Is anyone else finding this? How rapid is the motion detection/recording etc.

Seriously considering picking one up. Cheers all

kennM wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Great thread.... one of the issues I came across was the delay in motion detection, i.e. you only really see people walking away. Is anyone else finding this? How rapid is the motion detection/recording etc.
    In my case (Ring Pro) it's fairly quick. I do have the sensitivity set to 2 out of 5 (5 being the most sensitive). It always seems to capture people as they enter the motion zone that I've defined so i'm guessing it's always recording a 5 second buffer and if it detects motion it saves the buffer and records from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Have just installed my ring classic (got one of the Amazon warehouse ones for £70 last week. Seems decent so far. Was easy enough to install. biggest issue was removing the old doorbell as the screws had rusted, but that's what a Dremel is for, eh?

Biggest gripe is the return at the door is quite deep & I can't see about 25% of my garden, but that's not Ring's problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

They're back up to £130 again in Amazon Warehouse. Looking at a Skybell at around half the price, has anyone any experience with them?

Edit: I've read some reviews and apparently they're a poor alternative. Will keep an eye on Amazon warehouse for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Have read some reviews and i'm undecided on whether to bite the bullet or wait for a better alternative (preferably one that doesn't charge 3 euro a month to review footage)

Have also seen reports of the picture being very over exposed and the motion sensor not working or only showing as a person is walking away from the front door. How has it been for you guys?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

LG1234 wrote:
    Have also seen reports of the picture being very over exposed and the motion sensor not working or only showing as a person is walking away from the front door. How has it been for you guys?

I get the first bit of a recording..Then a freeze frame then it's fine again

Advertisement