Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suzuki Samurai restoration project

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I'll be glad as long as it doesn't start telling knock knock jokes within the first 1000 miles :pac:
    Who's there? Piston... Piston who? Piston Broke.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Here's what has arrived so far. Hopefully the chassis will be back rolling again in the next couple of weeks. I still have to get the dampers and figure out what I'm going to do with the steering linkage. At the moment all of the ball joints are tight and the boots are intact so technically they are fine... But at the same time I would like all new parts... What do you think I should do?

My plan for this evening is to have a good read of the manual and see what exactly I need to do with the axles.

IMG_4150_zpssgod9yhq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I'd say go the whole hog, especially if it was sitting up.
    They would probably deteriorate rapidly once you have it on the road!

YbFocus wrote: »
    I'd say go the whole hog, especially if it was sitting up.
    They would probably deteriorate rapidly once you have it on the road!

I think you might be right. I think is about 2005 someone put a lot of work into it. I think that's when the springs axles and brakes were painted, the clutch is also dated 2005 and I think the belt was done then too. I suspect the steering linkage might date from then.

Just realised I forgot to buy Jizer and black paint :rolleyes:. Back to Auto Care in the morning I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I think you might be right. I think is about 2005 someone put a lot of work into it. I think that's when the springs axles and brakes were painted, the clutch is also dated 2005 and I think the belt was done then too. I suspect the steering linkage might date from then.

Just realised I forgot to buy Jizer and black paint :rolleyes:. Back to Auto Care in the morning I suppose!

Hey you're progressing far better than me :)
    Fair play man I'm enjoying following this thread :)

• Advertisement

YbFocus wrote: »
    Hey you're progressing far better than me :)
    Fair play man I'm enjoying following this thread :)

Just set your alarm for early in the morning and start swinging spanners at that E36!!

Good evening all!

Just in from the shed now after working on the jeep all day. Spent today with a wire brush attachment on the angle grinder cleaning the chassis in preparation for paint. Unfortunately I did uncover a tiny rust hole in the chassis that will need to be dealt with. A neighbour is coming up in the morning (hopefully) who knows more about welding than me and we'll decide what the plan for dealing with the hole is.

I took some pictures but it's too much effort to post them now :p I'm absolutely knackered!

Picture as promised! Not as many as I thought though, stupid new phone and camera did weirdness. Anyway.

Just as a reminder, here's the body as it stands.

IMG_4152_zpsliukdnse.jpg

The chassis is still in the shed, completely untouched since the last picture you saw of it :( Thankfully things are happening again :D

IMG_4151_zpssmyi7fm7.jpg

Mostly there is surface rust on the chassis, The plan is to remove all of the surface rust to prevent it from developing into something serious. I used a cup brush on the angle grinder to remove it.

Before:

IMG_4154_zpsbodz5l7u.jpg

During:

IMG_4155_zpss5vijbah.jpg

IMG_4163_zpshtbg4jvt.jpg

After of a different section:

IMG_4156_zpsndlvitp4.jpg

I used a regular old hand wire brush to get into all the little areas, The arms are hanging off me this morning :pac:

After finishing cleaning off the top side I turned the chassis over to do the underside too. It's mad how light the chassis is! it can comfortably be picked up by 2 people.

IMG_4161_zpsj6hnye7t.jpg

During the process this little rust hole was uncovered. I suspect there was a manufacturing defect here from day one, the weld wasn't fully completed. I've yet to decide how the repair will be done.

IMG_4167_zpsuioqkgle.jpg

I also did a spot of masking in preparation for painting.

IMG_4162_zpspbtkflsz.jpg

The plan for today now is to clean the shed and the chassis so its as close as possible to a dust free environment for painting. The plan is to get the chassis in primer today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

I'm watching this with great interest. I have one as a daily driver and its only a matter of time before I have to take it apart and do what you're doing. Either that or I'll sell it for something else stupid to drive every day :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

• Advertisement

I'm watching this with great interest. I have one as a daily driver and its only a matter of time before I have to take it apart and do what you're doing. Either that or I'll sell it for something else stupid to drive every day :-)

Thanks man :) I would love to see a pic of yours, post it up! If you do ever get around to restoring it let me know! I'll be as much help as I can.
    Bigus wrote: »

That's cool alright. I would imagine it's scary fast :D

Low Range Off Road do a performance camshaft that I'm vaguely tempted to buy...Make it better able to keep up with traffic. Realistically funds are probably too tight.

Had another busy day today at the jeep. I got the shed and chassis cleaned. Got 2 coats or primer on the chassis. QV called down and got to work cleaning the rust of 2 of the leaf springs. Both of those are now in primer too :)

Pics will follow tomorrow.

So this is where we left off I think. Next job was to prime the chassis despite the little rust hole.

IMG_4170_zpso0dznmet.jpg

Chassis primed for the first coat

IMG_4171_zpsjs0yzhoo.jpg

IMG_4172_zps4yxxg50d.jpg

IMG_4174_zps3ppt4fyl.jpg

Two coats of primer on the chassis in the end. Should be enough I feel! Have to wait 3 days before applying the stone chip according to the instructions.

Next thing that was tackled was the springs with QVs help.

IMG_4217_zpscmps1spq.jpg

Here's QV himself working away :pac:

IMG_4180_zpssuiv2zp5.jpg

I gave him 2 wire brushes I thought were already worn out. He managed to get more life out of them and he swears he's not from Cavan :pac:

IMG_4175_zpsqbbjafwy.jpg

Here's a spring he finished cleaning.

IMG_4218_zpsn47vqpqk.jpg

Cleaned spring hanging up and waiting for paint.

IMG_4176_zpsusszo4i4.jpg

One spring in primer and one waiting paint.

IMG_4209_zpsirwtukji.jpg

In the mean time the chassis was welded up again and re-primed. No other pictures of the repair I'm afraid. The hole was just filled with weld and then grinder back smooth, It was just in the top left of this photo.

IMG_4272_zps2lqwfvfu.jpg

Next I got this bitchin' trolly to keep my tools on instead of keeping them on the floor. I love it anyway :D

IMG_4212_zpsis1tfrlc.jpg

IMG_4213_zpsdklsqgzk.jpg

We're almost up to date now, today I painted the colour coat onto the first 2 springs.

Coat one, just a light dusting so the next layer sticks.

IMG_4273_zpso9r5p1et.jpg

Each of the springs got 4 coats of paint total. Here's one finished with it's new Polyurethane bushes. :)

IMG_4275_zpsf81bbnvh.jpg

Time for a bit of an update again. Things have gone from strength to strength in the shed. The arrival of the trolly for my toolbox made it much more plush but I now have an old makeup table thingy too!!!:pac::pac:

I have the drawers for it also :P

IMG_4281_zpsb5divcsv.jpg

The primer needed three days minimum to dry according to the instructions before the next layer of paint could be added. And yes I actually read the instructions! The next paint to go on is this 2 part mastic from Bilt Hamber.

IMG_4293_zps8botkrtq.jpg

Here it is going on.

IMG_4292_zpsv00rcmwd.jpg

Once the "top" sides were finished I flipped the chassis over to do the bottom. I think I'll go for 2 coats total. As it stands at the moment the side of the chassis have 2 coats done but the top and bottom still need their second coat.

IMG_4309_zpsqcomwzvu.jpg

I put a bit of tape over the VIN so it wouldn't get hidden :)

IMG_4294_zpss1yhuhhv.jpg

Next job that was tackled was on the rear springs. There was a metal outer to the old bushes that stayed in the springs. As you can imagine they got well stuck in there over time with corrosion and dirt. I had to cut them with a hack saw and then smash out a small section before beating out the rest of them. Quick photo here of beating out the insert after cutting it.

IMG_4307_zps7evad0ge.jpg

The plan for next weekend is to hopefully;

Get the chassis fully painted.

Get the 2 remaining leaf springs prepared and painted and then get them reassembled onto the chassis!!! Then the fun will really start :cool:

An Australian friend of mind also brought some parts from the USA to me when he was coming. A lot of the stuff isn't needed for some time yet but it's good to have it :D:cool:

IMG_4310_zpsnsegpfo8.jpg

He also made a video of unboxing the stuff for me. I'll ask him if he minds me posting it :)

Hello again everyone. Sorry for not keeping this up to date. I've been tipping away slowly at the jeep the whole time but I've been busy with other stuff at late. Also I'm at the stage of prepping and painting suspension stuff which just takes for ever :mad:

Anyway. I stripped all the braking related stuff off the back axle so it can be prepared and painted.

IMG_4327_zps2p1udgtj.jpg

IMG_4328_zpscqcpndpu.jpg

For removing brake lines this is the only tool. I recommend everyone gets one!

IMG_4332_zpsqkirm997.jpg

Brake lines off.

IMG_4333_zps6hbsmmeb.jpg

Handbrake cables disconnected.

IMG_4329_zps9nrn0cf7.jpg

IMG_4326_zps3ljshru2.jpg

IMG_4331_zpsx8n1jcth.jpg

Next thing was to drain the oil from the diff. I wanted to do this before painting so that the paint wouldn't get chipped later. The bastards were very very tight. Much fire and swearing was required to open them. Didn't help that the prick that over tightened them rounded them out too. :rolleyes:

IMG_4380_zpscs1xwcgw.jpg

Finally got the fill out

IMG_4384_zpsqqbjshfg.jpg

Here's the tools that were needed to get it out :mad::rolleyes:

IMG_4381_zpsmxn7jlor.jpg

Oil draining.

IMG_4383_zpspoxpyxja.jpg

IMG_4385_zpszm5saj0w.jpg

The magnet on the drain plug didn't have too much metal on it. Hopefully that means the diff is healthy.

IMG_4387_zpsdsviktzt.jpg

Next thing was to grind the old paint off the anti roll bar.

IMG_4378_zps55qltrna.jpg

Anti roll bar waiting to get primer.

IMG_4379_zps1oqjhjzm.jpg

More springs being subjected to the grinder.

IMG_4375_zps4lcph3op.jpg

More primer on another spring too.

IMG_4377_zpsbe5hy48l.jpg

At the same time I got another delivery. The Chassis got all of it's cavities waxed. I've done the first coat of cavity wax and plan to do a second tomorrow.

Chassis still sitting in the shed as it was. I can't wait to start putting bits back on it. Just taking so long though :(

IMG_4334_zpsf18oxsac.jpg

IMG_4432_zpsl7t5xho3.jpg

IMG_4433_zpshtod3v9z.jpg

Got a few more small jobs done today. Didn't get pictures of all of them yet so expect another update soon. Also I'm going to try and update this more regularly as the work is done. It means I remember more and have a better record of what has happened to the car :)

First thing I did was paint a couple of coats of yellow onto the auto roll bar. Needs a couple of more coats tomorrow so I'll get pics then.

Next thing I did was mix up some Deox C. This is supposed to be great stuff for removing rust so here's hoping.

IMG_4551_zpspputg2ud.jpg

First job for it is the spring plates and U bolts for the back axle. Proper crusty:D

IMG_4552_zpsqfhonhmb.jpg

IMG_4553_zpseahgswln.jpg

After about an hour the liquid had already started to change colour. Hopefully there's some good results for me in the morning.

IMG_4557_zpsb85qdqb1.jpg

I also bought some gear oil. Not a brand I've hear of but it's all the motor factors had. Still fully synthetic and the correct grade/spec. Can't really go wrong.

IMG_4554_zpsgjwnzn2q.jpg

The rear diff takes 1.5L according to the Suzuki repair and maintenance manual, Usually you just fill gearboxes until the oil comes out the fill hole but since the diff isn't mounted in the car I just measured the oil in. I'll confirm the correct level again when it's back mounted to the chassis and on the correct level. This is the first litre measured out. I couldn't get a picture of filling it because I had to hold the funnel with my other hand:p

IMG_4555_zpsx6qqig3u.jpg

I also went to apply the second coat of cavity wax to the chassis but annoyingly the nozzle had blocked:mad::mad:. I cleared it out with a drop of petrol so it'll be good to go in the morning. :)

I don't know what the weather was like today in the rest of the country but it was pissing rain all day in Wicklow so sadly not very much was achieved.

I took the parts I had soaking in the Deox C out and gave them a quick rub with a wire brush. They've cleaned up a lot and I'm very impressed with the stuff. I put them in for another 24 hours to get them really clean. I've a lot more bolts and stuff to do after them too. :)

The liquid got really manky over night:

IMG_4570_zpsn1goybt2.jpg

Here's the parts cleaned up:

IMG_4571_zps55uitxar.jpg

Then after that I got the second coat of cavity wax into the chassis. Aside from drilling out a couple more sheered bolts the chassis is finally ready for reassembly. If we get some good weather in the evenings during the week I might get a chance to finish off the last of the springs and then reassembly can actually start. I really hope to be able to bolt something back together next weekend, I really need it for moral :(

166man came down this evening and gave me a hand with a bit of wire brushing. A bit of help is always good for morel, plus be bought me ice cream :D

I too the U bolts and related parts out of the deox C again and gave them a quick wire brush. Here's the result of that.

IMG_4574_zpscmw6qind.jpg

More than clean enough for parts that will be under an off road vehicle. :)

They then got a shot of the zinc primer on each side.

IMG_4575_zpsw0b1xzhf.jpg

IMG_4576_zpsbpkyo7by.jpg

Here's the U bolts from the front axle for a before and after.

IMG_4577_zpskpag86zt.jpg

166man then gave these a wire brushing. Hopefully that means the Deox C process will be a little faster than it was for the last set.

• Advertisement

I was going to work on the Jeep this evening after work but unfortunately I got delayed in work for 2 hours so the daylight was all wasted...

If I'm not going to get any actual work done I might as well update this thread!!!

Quite a bit has happened over the last while, a lot of hours but again it doesn't really look like much!

Time for the pictures (I've also got worse at taking lots of pictures!)

First, the continuation of painting the spring shackles and bolts.

IMG_4662_zpsjohjo687.jpg

Primed and ready for colour.

IMG_4652_zpslxxextz2.jpg

Colour coat on, I masked us the threads so they would still work properly. This is just a photo of the first batch I did, they are all finished like this now.

IMG_4651_zpsbj2p8lka.jpg

IMG_4657_zpsvq5thxzo.jpg

IMG_4658_zpszl3mp4kt.jpg

Then it was time to clean and paint the last leaf spring. Here it is, won't show the whole process because I've posted it before.

IMG_4702_zpswm0g66g0.jpg

Putting the bushes into said spring.

IMG_4664_zpsuncrd4hs.jpg

IMG_4665_zpsg4qh4idq.jpg

I then had an exciting moment! Fitting the first new parts to the chassis! Some bushes, Red rubber grease is essential.

IMG_4666_zpsc1ctimqi.jpg

IMG_4663_zpsf69qlt6w.jpg

IMG_4667_zpsjbwopkde.jpg

IMG_4671_zpsuiizyawp.jpg

166man came down yesterday afternoon and set to work with the grinder on the back axle.

IMG_4817_zpsq4dlaydk.jpg

IMG_4822_zpswfygxuu2.jpg

I then painted it up in it's first coat of primer.

IMG_4823_zpspheyb53p.jpg

The petrol tank protector thingy also got a tidy up recently. Again it was clean of all the old paint and rust. Then it was a few coats of ink primer and some semi matt black to finish. It still has a small dent in it but it's good enough for the underside of the car!

IMG_4780_zpsanolku76.jpg

IMG_4819_zpsdv4synur.jpg

IMG_4820_zpswg5bmed4.jpg

IMG_4821_zpscbxkus0o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

This is a credit to you DZ, keep up the superb work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Looking good DZ, might want to pick a better image host than Photobucket though, all the original pictures have been lost and these ones will be aswell, Photobucket delete everything after a while.

Thargor wrote: »
    Looking good DZ, might want to pick a better image host than Photobucket though, all the original pictures have been lost and these ones will be aswell, Photobucket delete everything after a while.

I saw that the early photos are gone alright. :(

Do you have a suggestion for a better site?

The early photos were actually on pix.ie but it's gone now I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Imgur is probably the main one, my posts from 5-6 years ago are still intact with them, worth attaching them to each post with the paperclip icon aswell to make boards save them. Anything is better than Photobucket or Imageshack these days.

Thargor wrote: »
    Imgur is probably the main one, my posts from 5-6 years ago are still intact with them, worth attaching them to each post with the paperclip icon aswell to make boards save them. Anything is better than Photobucket or Imageshack these days.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go and see if it's better :)

Time for another update on one of the worlds slowest progressing projects :pac:

Some more back axle painting. A few coats of red on both sides.

IMG_4849_zpsqv8pco3f.jpg

IMG_4850_zpso1akajbu.jpg

IMG_4851_zpsr99jwp70.jpg

Then it was time to reassemble the back suspension. I have yet to order shocks but everything else is there. Back axle and the rear springs put into position.

IMG_4854_zpsgz3ezqjx.jpg

Bolts and shackles that will be needed.

IMG_4859_zpshqmgnjlu.jpg

The beginning of the reassembly!

IMG_4860_zpsja0omogx.jpg

Almost forgot to put in the bump stops! A reminder to always have the manual open.

IMG_4864_zpsiejiuofg.jpg

Microfibre towels to protect the axle from the jacks. Don't want to chip that paint!

IMG_4868_zps8lloabyu.jpg

IMG_4869_zpsfruzwnny.jpg

Getting the springs lined up.

IMG_4867_zpslnfx4ngb.jpg

Bolted in. So proud of myself I took loads of photos :D

IMG_4870_zpsx0c1tkvi.jpg

IMG_4871_zpsqtwi1smg.jpg

IMG_4872_zpsilgxfloz.jpg

Changed the oil in the front diff next. Just as hard to open as the rear one was. Heat and hammers was the order of the day again.

IMG_4831_zpsovlzazf7.jpg

IMG_4833_zps5zp1t2mw.jpg

IMG_4834_zpsew8j6r0k.jpg

Then I started prepping it for painting too. The grease has been seeping out of the seals for the last 20 odd years and made quite a mess!

IMG_4901_zpszdnqry6h.jpg

IMG_4903_zpszq85zcso.jpg

IMG_4902_zpsziccbjtj.jpg

I did get as far as taking to old paint off one side but I need more wire brushes for the grinder to finish it. Haven't taken any pictures of that yet... They'll be in a future update :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

No contribution, but i'm quite enjoying this. There's a nice attention to detail about it.

Advertisement