Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nest doorbell voltage

• 20-05-2019 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

I picked up a Nest doorbell over the weekend from Harvey Normans. I believe the recommended voltage from the doorbell transformer is 12v. I tested my current one with a phase tester and its a stable 10.5v.

The doorbell works fine with it. I was getting video notifications etc. Is there any issues running them with a lower voltage ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

In case anyone is interested, I have the doorbell working off 8v. No chime as my Google home assistants around the house do the same job and my dog hates doorbells.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi
    I thought you needed 16-24v for the nest hello

I have one on 24 V. Before that I had the ring, but on 12V it worked but it was much better when I put in the 24 V traffo

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

I ran mine at 12v for the first couple of weeks, but I had intermittant Wifi dropouts. When I upgraded the transformer to 24v it became rock-solid and has been ever since.

R

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1

I installed a 24V transformer for my Nest Hello following advice from Stoner. This resulted in no wifi dropouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vbhagaur

I had this installed couple of week before and from what i understood you do need 16-24 v transformer to provide consistent supply for recording (also helps with netaware subscription). When i tried with my 12V existing transformer my chime refused to work with doorbell (although google says 12v should be enough) i could see the voltage was consistently over 14v ( i know).

If you require your doorbell to work along with chime (which is recommended as it provides constant power supply compared to doorbell where power only goes through when someone press the bell) i would recommend upgrading your transformer.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I installed a Nest Hello today, and while the camera etc is working fine, my old chime (looks like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Friedland-Honeywell-D792-Underdome-Traditional/dp/B0001NPZ0G) is not. With the dome off the bell I can see the solenoid is firing and trying to ring the bell, it’s just not strong enough. So my guess is lack of power from the transformer, which is a Garo 8/12/24V 8VA unit in the fuse board.

Local electric wholesalers near me only have more 8VA transformers so I’ve been looking online. I’m struggling a bit understanding the voltage vs VA ratings on some of these and also knowing whether a transformer described as ‘constant load’ would be OK for a doorbell. Any thoughts on some of these from anybody please?

https://ie.farnell.com/abb/ts24-8-12-24/bell-transformer-8v-12v-24v-3a/dp/3293974 - this looks right but is expensive?

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/din-rail-panel-mount-transformers/7720704/ - this looks right but isn’t a doorbell transformer specifically and mentions constant load in the datasheet? Better price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zamel-TRM-24-KLINGELTRANSFORMATOR/dp/B01IPDYJSW/ref=asc_df_B01IPDYJSW - this looks right, but is kinda concerning my cheap and I’m never heard of this manufacturer?

Thanks for any insights!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Just to update this post for future people who come across it. I ordered the RS 16VA unit I linked to above, cost about €45 by the time it was shipped from the UK and arrived in 2 working days. Swapped out the generic (I incorrectly said Garo above) 8VA transformer that was there with the RS unit and voila my doorbell is now ringing successfully.

So moral of the story is that while the Nest Hello instructions say an 8VA transformer is sufficient, in my case it was not, a 16VA unit works well though. Hard to say if the issue was the old transformer could never achieve 8VA, if the bell required more power than is common for bells or what. The run from my board to the bell and Nest was very short, only a couple of meters (though admittedly over a CAT5 pair not the bigger bell wire), so I don't think this was a contributor.

Advertisement