Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car park damage - insurance?

• 19-05-2019 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

So I parked in Dublin airport over the weekend.
    I came back this morning to the find another car pressed right up against mine - I think the bumper maybe pushed in. Not obvious damage but still think it’s been dented to some degree - i’ll Get it assessed tomorrow.

Can’t believe they actually left the car like that instead of reversing back a few inches!!

I took photos of cars and their insurance info.

What do I do now? Do I need to report to the guards - ring their insurer? Do I inform mine?

How will this pan out considering it will probably be my word against theirs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you go through the guards, they can request info from the car park re times of entry. This will show which car was parked first. If you can demonstrate that yours was the stationary car, that’ll solve the your word against theirs question.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Penalty

Thanks for that. Makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Gardai won't be overly interested I'm afraid as it's in a private car park, it's material damage only, and not causing an obstruction.

Report it anyway but I'd be very surprised if they do anything other than take a few details.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a civil matter. Report the damage to your insurer. Send them pics etc. Let them fix the car and recover the costs from the 3rd party. Your evidence would need to be indisputable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It's a civil matter. Report the damage to your insurer. Send them pics etc. Let them fix the car and recover the costs from the 3rd party. Your evidence would need to be indisputable

Just to clarify. You will have to pay your policy excess and it will remain as a claim on your record until such time as they recover the outlay. As Henry says, they will need indisputable evidence or they are unlikely to seek recovery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Civil cases, by their nature, do not require indisputable evidence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

The Gardai will do absolutely nothing, even the suggestion that they might is ludicrous, they might file a report on their invisible typewriter.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭FDave

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    The Gardai will do absolutely nothing, even the suggestion that they might is ludicrous, they might file a report on their invisible typewriter.

That's a rediculous statement. They will take a report of what happened and the OP can request the report number, which the insurance company will require.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

FDave wrote: »
    That's a rediculous statement. They will take a report of what happened and the OP can request the report number, which the insurance company will require.

The only thing they will do is give you an earful for wasting their time. based on multiple experiences with car park next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

FDave wrote: »

The insurer is not going to even request a Garda report for a car park ding. If you have comprehensive cover, they will repair your car. They certainly won't launch an investigation to try and discover who did it in order to recover their outlay. However, if you can supply them with the proofs they need, they will seek recovery. It's down to the economics of the incident

• Advertisement
Advertisement