Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

De-platforming fascists works

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It hasn't traditionally but it's now coming from the left in the form of libertarism.

Read that sentence again. Take your time and really think about the words in there. No rush at all, but really think about what you're saying.

Liberal = fascist. Think about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Read that sentence again. Take your time and really think about the words in there. No rush at all, but really think about what you're saying.

Liberal = fascist. Think about that one.

Yea I've thought about it. It's mainly coming from the left.

Opinions are fine, it's when your opinions involve spreading hate, division and denigrating other people that you got to go.

Sweet irony.

It's almost as if you haven't been calling people with different viewpoints Fascists, Nazis, Grifters etc. That's not denigrating? That's not spreading hate? That's not causing division?

I think what you meant to post was; Opinions are fine, once they tie in with mine. I don't really care what your opinion is. You are entitled to it. I just don't see why people take such joy in seeing other people deplatformed. It's a very odd position. I personally like to see other people say what they want freely. It allows you to see their true feelings and doesn't drive them underground.

I'd rather know someone's honest opinion on controversial subjects rather than one that is being portrayed dishonestly for fear of being deplatformed.

But I suppose, blah blah blah Nazis, Grifters, Antifa rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Nobody would have an issue with them removing Milo if they applied the same standards across the board, but they clearly do not.

Sarah Jeong is the perfect example of that. Twitter did fcuk all about her 'hate speech' (and it sure is that if we use liberals loose definition of it). Azealia Banks another, suggesting Sarah Palin should be gangraped, crickets from Twitter at the time. Also for every Milo, there are thousands upon thousands of other conservative accounts that removed and silenced and purely because of their views don't align with the narrative that they want dominating timelines.

Also, I follow mostly non-liberal accounts but yet every day they were suggesting that I follow prominent liberal accounts. They news they shove down your throat is all leftist also. They are not the unbiased platform they position themselves to be at all.

This is the problem with the left today. They want everyone with non-liberal views silenced. Antifa have to smash up buildings to get their way, Twitter just press a few buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

what you refer to as fascism isn't fascism.
    what you refer to as fascism only comes from the hard left, not the left as a whole. plenty of us on the left disagree with the harder elements.
    The problem is when the regular/soft/moderate give in to the hard left and crap like in the OP can happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Doesn't work. Are you advocating for the rights of those who would infringe upon your rights? Kind of self defeating. "I want to infringe upon your rights" 'That's your right, go ahead son'?

You were finished when you made the paedophile comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I thought someone wanted to ban Wagner or Leni Reifenstahl not a loudmouth on Twitter. 'Works' is a bit generous description for his contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sweet irony.

It's almost as if you haven't been calling people with different viewpoints Fascists, Nazis, Grifters etc. That's not denigrating? That's not spreading hate? That's not causing division?

It's using accurate terms to describe people and their actions.

Milo Yiannopoulos is a fascist and a grifter - I'd be surprised if you disagreed with that to be honest. You could also add pedophile apologist in there if you liked.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I thought someone wanted to ban Wagner or Line Reifenstahl not a loudmouth on Twitter. 'Works' is a bit generous description for his contribution.

Pretty sure that "works" in this context was meant as "is effective"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'd like to see every ****e hawk peddling whatever for clicks and followers and data delisted..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The truth is that most liberals today support the hard left. They are happy to defend violent Antifa and whenever research shows that Twitter, YouTube or Google have behaved in an unfair way so that conservative views (not mere hate speech or views which could be reasonable considered abhorrent) are suppressed, they roll out the Terms of Service nonsense, as if it excuse their scurrilous behaviour. It doesn't.

They are happy to defend violent Antifa and whenever research shows that Twitter, YouTube or Google have behaved in an unfair way so that conservative views (not mere hate speech or views which could be reasonable considered abhorrent) are suppressed, they roll out the Terms of Service nonsense, as if it excuse their scurrilous behaviour. It doesn't.

Which research is that now?

Forgive me if I doubt videos from a Donald Trump youtube channel that also has Alex Jones videos up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Would you stop. My Twitter account was suspended because I disagreed with a famous liberal.

They close accounts regularly that are showing their blue ticks to be factual incorrect.

Shadow banning is a constant on there for those disagreeing with leftists.
    It takes a lot to get banned from Twitter so I suspect you're misrepresenting what you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

biko wrote: »
    The problem is when the regular/soft/moderate give in to the hard left and crap like in the OP can happen.

tbh on this issue i don't think it is soft/moderate/regular people giving in to the hard left, but rather those who agree with them who are in a position of power. in fact i think that may be the case generally, unless there is genuinely something they look for which actually may have legitimacy, for which we would support it.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

It's using accurate terms to describe people and their actions.

Milo Yiannopoulos is a fascist and a grifter - I'd be surprised if you disagreed with that to be honest. You could also add pedophile apologist in there is you liked.

Oh dear.

Define fascist to me please. It's a word that has become so nebulous with the rise of Antifa, it's very difficult to disprove or prove anyone is a fascist without knowing what definition is being used.

And to be honest, anyone who uses their opinion to make money could easily be called a grifter too. That's not really an insult. I just don't see many left wing social commentators who sell merchandise or are behind a paywall being described that way.

And as far as paedophile apologist goes, that again is absolutely false. He has repeatedly clarified what he meant and has gone so far as apologising for saying certain things that he did say. He realised he overstepped the mark and apologised. As someone who made a career from being shocking, it backfired hugely and was one of the things that caused his downfall.

But anyway, there is a difference between paedophilia and pederasty.

But anyway, there is a difference between paedophilia and pederasty.

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

batgoat wrote: »
    It takes a lot to get banned from Twitter so I suspect you're misrepresenting what you said.

Yeah it takes a lot to get banned if you're in with the guys at the top apparently. Twitter is an absolute joke at this stage. How anyone can say with a straight face that they aren't biased I dont know. Jonathan/jessica yaniv is openly a pedophile, racist and harasser of women. Yet Twitter allows their account and their many sock puppets to stand and bans anyone who calls them out (mainly women). They banned a female gynecologist from using the offensive word "vagina" in the promotion of her book, but allow rape and death threats against women to continue unpunished. Oh and pedophiles openly discussing abuse and sharing images is also fine by them. Yeah, totally "on the right side of history" guys. Thumbs up for standing up to those bigots and fascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The truth is that most liberals today support the hard left. They are happy to defend violent Antifa and whenever research shows that Twitter, YouTube or Google have behaved in an unfair way so that conservative views (not mere hate speech or views which could be reasonable considered abhorrent) are suppressed, they roll out the Terms of Service nonsense, as if it excuse their scurrilous behaviour. It doesn't.

Gonna need a source on that one buddy. You'd ask for the same if I claimed all people on the right or conservative also supported the far-right, such as the Klan.

edit: And speaking of Terms of Service. Do feel free to head on over to Voat or Stormfront and say what great people the Jews are. See how long you last there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,227 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Oh dear.

Milo did a David Norris on it and sunk his own ship, as Norris did his Presidential campaign

Oh dear.

I know. It's almost as if when insulting someone or accusing someone of something, you should be accurate!!!

But sure why start now? Nazi means feck all, fascist means feck all, racist means feck all, might as well redefine paedophilia too!

Feck words! Fascist things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

There's a market for it, just more fringe. His pedophile comment finished him off.

The whole thread is starting from a flawed premise, it wasn't deplatforming that killed his popularity it was ironically his comments, that happened before deplatforming, I strongly disagree with his statements but the fact it tanked his following exposes a substantial percentage of free speech warriors as hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

De-platforming fascists works

When liberals have monopolized a service they can misuse their position and silence those they disagree with and it works.

That's the polar opposite of liberal.

but the fact it tanked his following exposes a substantial percentage of free speech warriors as hypocrites.

How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Sweet irony.

I think what you meant to post was; Opinions are fine, once they tie in with mine. I don't really care what your opinion is. You are entitled to it. I just don't see why people take such joy in seeing other people deplatformed. It's a very odd position. I personally like to see other people say what they want freely. It allows you to see their true feelings and doesn't drive them underground.

I'd rather know someone's honest opinion on controversial subjects rather than one that is being portrayed dishonestly for fear of being deplatformed.

But I suppose, blah blah blah Nazis, Grifters, Antifa rule.

#metoo. Do you think Milo and others are genuinely trying to progress all inclusive discussion or trying to be sensational for 'likes'?
    If what you're selling breeds hate towards others, no, there is no place for your opinion.
    Never used the term 'grifters', prefer 'chancers'.

If what your selling breeds hate towards others, not there is no place for your opinion.

Who decides what hate is acceptable? I mean, you could easily be accused of hating Milo and his ilk

I know we are going down the route of the tolerance paradox but seeing your delight at people you oppose being silenced is hateful.

There is always a place for others opinions. Regardless of whether you hate it or not. Or are you saying that anyone with a controversial opinion should be silenced? For example, do you think that someone who believes deeply that homosexuals are immoral should be not allowed an opinion? Is someone who doesn't agree/recognise self identifying trans people denied an opinion? Who decides the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Modern facism is coming from the left.

I don't think the left-right spectrum is helpful when describing modern politics, but fascism is traditionally defined as far-right ultra-nationalism. We can't just keep changing the meaning of words to whatever we want them to be just so they can be hurled as insults.

Hobosan wrote: »
    You were finished when you made the paedophile comments.

Look, if you've nothing to add that's fine.
    The whole thread is starting from a flawed premise, it wasn't deplatforming that killed his popularity it was ironically his comments, that happened before deplatforming, I strongly disagree with his statements but the fact it tanked his following exposes a substantial percentage of free speech warriors as hypocrites.

Free speech has consequences. You can't advocate hate or be a pedophile apologist like Milo. Well you can, just tough to find any reasonable media platform I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Come on now. You're smart enough to have figured out by now that Project Veritas is about as reliable as infowars or PragerU when it comes to just about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

screen-shot-2016-07-22-at-11-11-16-am.png

• Advertisement

Who decides what hate is acceptable? I mean, you could easily be accused of hating Milo and his ilk

I know we are going down the route of the tolerance paradox but I seeing your delight at people you oppose being silenced as hateful.

There is always a place for others opinions. Regardless of whether you hate it or not.

People, specifically the people who own the private platforms.

We are. If you want to cause harm or feed those who want to cause harm, you need to go.

There is I agree. That's how we know who are the racist and hateful then we can silence them.

What hippy like brotherly love scenario was Milo aiming for? Any talks of his I saw were about trolling people and insulting people.

Advertisement