Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HRV options for main bedroom

• 15-08-2019 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking into installing a HRV into main bedroom(14m2, around 35m3, no ensuite, north facing) to bring fresh air while sleeping , control the humidity, and not lose all heat in winter time by keeping the windows opened for long periods of time.

Currently humidity will be between 54%-73%(measured with a cheap thermo/humidity stat not very accurate).
    5x%-6x% during the day (room is vented every morning or during the day having windows opened)
    up to 73-75% when we wake up in the morning before opening the windows(wall air vent is not closed).

While doing some research I've settled for loft mounted ones(with air vents in the ceiling). Would like to close the exiting air vent hole in the wall.

Currently I'm debating between 2 models Blauberg Horizontal Komfort Ultra D105-A or Vent Axia HR100R

Is anyone using the above?

While doing research I found little to no reviews/youtube video. All information I have is from vendor/manufacturer webpage.

1.Blauberg Horizontal Komfort Ultra D105-A - 1 video on youtube with no information of real use. No reviews from users on the internet.

2. Vent Axia HR100R - not to great(or mixed) reviews from people who purchased it.

What would be your opinion/input about choosing the right unit(not just between the above)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Budget !?

If you want only one unit,go for a decentralised model,fitted in the wall.

But better long term to do it centralised...

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

I was looking into this a few months ago for my bedroom. Ended up buying a Vent Axia Pozidry pro with heater. It supplies filtered air from the attic to the upstairs landing. Went with F7 filters as I live beside a busy main road. It didn't help Co2 levels all that much in my bedroom but PM 2.5 dropped through the floor. I did check out those other ones and rang around but the installers price didn't pursuade me, I installed the Pozidry myself. One other advantage, the kitchen smells used to come up the stairs, with positive pressure now they stay downstairs. It also ensures some air movement in the bathroom etc. Knocking a new hole in my wall just didn't appeal to me for 1 room.....hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭serox_21

rolion wrote: »
    Budget !?

If you want only one unit,go for a decentralised model,fitted in the wall.

But better long term to do it centralised...

Small budget for a start(up to 400).
    Will be for 1 room for beginning, with plans to upgrade to all upstairs rooms once I find a good way to route ducts through the attic floor.(have 2 steel I beams running on each floor and attic is converted)
    Is going to be installed on the attic storage space (sides of the attic)

Don't like the idea of in wall ones. Want to block existing vent.

Going to install it myself, so looking for parts only.

@mike_2009 Vent Axia Pozidry doesn't have heat recovery. Looking for a heat recovery one.

• Advertisement

I looked at the Mitsubishi Lossnay VL-100(E)U5-E but the cost of install - new hole being required didn't appeal in the end. It does heat recovery though.
    How are you going to deal with the HRV ducting to the outside in the attic? Knock two holes in the gable end wall? You'll need two holes - extract and intake with a specified distance between them. Also insulating the intake pipe whilst providing a condensation drain from the unit.
    The only other thing is blocking the vents - any air tightness testing done? It will be very hard to balance the system between the rooms in a leaky house....any thoughts of flow / calcs with that in mind?
    Best of luck with the project though - particularly given the attic is converted....

There is a crawl(storage) space on both sides of the attic room(1.2m width) where I'm going to install it. Outside ducting are planned to be installed on the eaves(no holes in the walls) at least 3 meters apart.

Crawl space is above the bedroom I'm planning to install.

There are insulated flexible ducting. 10-15 m should be enough.

Don't like the idea of installing an in wall unit.As you said "doesn't appeal to me" I have enough sound coming through existing bedroom vent hole and want to close it.

All,
    Just found another unit that can be used for full upstairs floor(if I find a solution for ducting.)

They pretend a higher eficiency of 85%, low noise and higher airflow rates(150m3/h).

Again not much information show up when I google it.

What's your thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭headtheball14

mike_2009 wrote: »
    I was looking into this a few months ago for my bedroom. Ended up buying a Vent Axia Pozidry pro with heater. It supplies filtered air from the attic to the upstairs landing. I did check out those other ones and rang around but the installers price didn't pursuade me, I installed the Pozidry myself!
    Sorry to jump in on thread, I’d never heard of these and searched since your post.
    What does installing this involve? I have no ventilation and looked in to demand controlled ventilation but the quotes were well over 3 grand for a small house and space would be eaten up by ducts .

It's easy enough, steps as follows:
    Install unit in attic - I got F7 filters which cover down to PM 2.5, they are a bit lose though so hacked some clips to ensure they gripped on ok. The unit comes with a heater, 500w, not sure how that will eat electricity but I have a monitor and under normal operation it uses very little as far as I can tell, also it cuts out when the temp in attic goes over a set level to avoid pumping really warm air into the landing.
    There's a flexible plastic stretchy duct to link to between the unit and the vent. You cut a hole in the landing to the dimensions - measure twice, cut once, I nearly cut one twice as large as needed! Then fit the vent, attach the duct to it and you're almost ready. I've no plugs in the attic so I ran a wire and plug down a hole to the landing where a socket is located so anyone can unplug it if it's drawing in BBQ smoke or gives any problems.
    I installed rubber under the feet of the unit to dampen noise, you can still hear a slight vibration at times when its running. It has several speeds which you can choose. The denser the filter, the harder it has to work - my F7 filters in particular.
    Results - it is mostly used by landlords to keep damp pushed out of the bathroom, which is does a good job at. It relies on the gaps under the doors for the bedrooms and the fact you've a vent in the room to channel the air out through. It didn't make a significant difference to CO2 but PM 2.5 in particular was cut by and large. So, not the magic bullet I was after but an improvement all the same and it's running all the time. It keep kitchen smells downstairs which was a bonus, they always ended up in my room after cooking.
    They are designed for self install. Any single room units I was quoted for were @ 1K and upwards.
    I think I'd prefer a unit that fed my room directly next time around, a future upgrade perhaps. The Pozidry has an adapter that can feed two branches if you want to feed a different room which is an option. Filters should last a few years. Had some insulation smells when the filter was a bit lose, otherwise it creating positive pressure upstairs and for a few hundred euro, a useful improvement. It's like a big hairdryer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Theres another brand called Lunos, units are on Amazon too
    http://www.lunos.ie/

Advertisement