Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

I didn't accuse people of hypocrisy, so there is no way I could have implicitly admitted such a thing with an hypocrisy accusation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

jimgoose wrote: »
    Played by Julie Dawn Cole in 1971, beautiful lady:

5d7abcb335db4.image.jpg

lol I mean she's like her character not in looks lol

She sounds like a right brat that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

splinter65 wrote: »
    This is a very interesting exchange. Andrew Neill finding it very easy to get to the nitty gritty.
    https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1182052201629470720?s=21

Seen that piece.
    Basically the ER spokesperson admitted they are making up stuff to scare people.

As for the other founder who Andrew Neil quoted as saying billions could die within decades, I googled and appears she is called Gail Bradbrook.

I watched one of her YouTube videos and its the biggest pile of unsubstantiated nonsense you'll ever see. It even had photshopped images of skinny polar bear on one of the first slides.

Pathetic.

Its only a matter of time before the masses catch on to these fools, and see them for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

NIMAN wrote: »
    Seen that piece.
    Basically the ER spokesperson admitted they are making up stuff to scare people.

As for the other founder who Andrew Neil quoted as saying billions could die within decades, I googled and appears she is called Gail Bradbrook.

I watched one of her YouTube videos and its the biggest pile of unsubstantiated nonsense you'll ever see. It even had photshopped images of skinny polar bear on one of the first slides.

Pathetic.

Its only a matter of time before the masses catch on to these fools, and see them for what they are.

If only there was a publication from renowned scientists all over the world which would layout the current state of play, the likely future case and whether or not there is a need for action.

But where would you get such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Mary Robinson was moved to tears according to herself by St Gretas speech at the UN. I didn't know vultures could cry. I was moved to tears by the enormous amount of money handed over to her brother by Mayo CC for a rundown old house in Ballina so they could build a shrine to Many Pensions Robinson, it will be a cure for insomnia if nothing else I suppose.

• Advertisement

Mary Robinson was moved to tears according to herself by St Gretas speech at the UN. I didn't know vultures could cry. I was moved to years by the enormous amount of money handed over to her brother by Mayo CC for a rundown old house in Ballina so they could build a shrine to Pensions Robinson, it will be a cure for insomnia if nothing else I suppose.

Mary Robinson
    Barrister, Senator, President of Ireland, United Nations High commissioner for Human Rights.

What has she ever done to deserve a pension?

Mary Robinson
    Barrister, Senator, President of Ireland, United Nations High commissioner for Human Rights.

What has she ever done to deserve a pension?

One of the biggest disingenuous spoofers this country has ever produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Crowd of climate dopes causing snarl-ups where I live.
    Im sure there are genuine people out there but i would really like to ask them how they live eg how many foreign holidays, what cars they drive, what they buy etc.
    Ive got a feeling I would not be surprised.

Like any marxist I've encountered struggling to defend their full engagement in all that capitalism offers.

NIMAN wrote: »

That yer wan that has hallucinogen fuelled drum circles in her teepee with fellow wack jobs so they can get in touch with the spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Eamonn Ryan will save the Climate, he wants to restrict the amount of cars in rural areas and reintroduce wolves.......

One will to lower the population

• Advertisement

This is meant to provoke a reaction isn't it? I mean, I'm not suggesting that as in you should be banned or the post actioned but the fact that it has zero objective basis in reality leads me to wonder what the motivations are in posting it?

I mean, no one has to be mad about her, her involvement in the Princess Sheika Latifa story is dubious and still unexplained but the content of this post is laughable.

Biggest. Disingenuous. Spoofer. Ever.???

I think this post, above most others tells me the real motivations of the activist/climate naysayers on this thread. It's either a simple position of anti-establishment beliefs (without extending to possessing an idea of a preferred alternative) or it's routed in plain old misogyny. I think it is more of the former for many but there's definitely an influence of the latter influencing many arguments I reckon. Greta, AOC and now apparently Mary Robinson attract an immediate level of vitriol from certain quarters that doesn't even hint at analysis.

If the post upsets you why quote it and reply?

If certain posters upset you why not just use the ignore function?

JJayoo wrote: »
    If the post upsets you why quote it and reply?

If certain posters upset you why not just use the ignore function?

Doesn't upset me. Puzzles me that some think that way and others read it and seemingly agree with it.

(Also, this is a discussion board yada, yada, yada. I'm not letting stuff like that go by which could be seen as tantamount to agreeing with it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The use of this girl to peddle a fairy tale is nothing but child abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

This is meant to provoke a reaction isn't it? I mean, I'm not suggesting that as in you should be banned or the post actioned but the fact that it has zero objective basis in reality leads me to wonder what the motivations are in posting it?

I mean, no one has to be mad about her, her involvement in the Princess Sheika Latifa story is dubious and still unexplained but the content of this post is laughable.

Biggest. Disingenuous. Spoofer. Ever.???

I think this post, above most others tells me the real motivations of the activist/climate naysayers on this thread. It's either a simple position of anti-establishment beliefs (without extending to possessing an idea of a preferred alternative) or it's routed in plain old misogyny. I think it is more of the former for many but there's definitely an influence of the latter influencing many arguments I reckon. Greta, AOC and now apparently Mary Robinson attract an immediate level of vitriol from certain quarters that doesn't even hint at analysis.

Mary Robinson raises the hackles of the ordinary peasants she despises because she is so privileged she is completely and utterly detached from the lives of those she lectures. She had servants when she attended Trinity for heavens sake.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Doesn't upset me. Puzzles me that some think that way and others read it and seemingly agree with it.
    (Also, this is a discussion board yada, yada, yada. I'm not letting stuff like that go by which could be seen as tantamount to agreeing with it

Chillax - it's a discussion and not even close to being signature of to any 'agreement'
    People have different opinions. Even if some may hold dear that their beliefs are the right over any other opinion - does not mean they are.

gozunda wrote: »
    Chillax - it's a discussion and not even close to being signature of to any 'agreement'
    People have different opinions. Even if some may hold dear that their beliefs are the right over any other opinion -does not mean they are.

Glad you're coming around. Talking is good.

The use of this girl to peddle a fairy tale is nothing but child abuse.

That's insulting to anyone who experiences abuse that you would demean their experience by suggesting Greta is being subjected to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Glad you're coming around. Talking is good.

Lol. Objects in the mirror may appear confusing to those only seeing what they wish to see. But no worries ...

And goodnight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭moonage

If only there was a publication from renowned scientists all over the world which would layout the current state of play, the likely future case and whether or not there is a need for action.

But where would you get such a thing.

And one that wasn't primarily political rather than scientific. One that didn't use climate change as an excuse for its societal and economic aims.

• Advertisement

moonage wrote: »
    And one that wasn't primarily political rather than scientific. One that didn't use climate change as an excuse for its societal and economic aims.

Yeah, 195 organisations from 120 different countries involving thousands of scientists created a coordinated political narrative contrary to scientific practice and ideals and they came up with a document that they all agreed with.

Who do you trust if you don't trust a collective of scientists who are working in a specific field?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It just horrible how this autistic child has been manipulated. It's so creepy.

Her parents are monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

moonage wrote: »
    Do you understand that science is not politics?

There are scientists out there, who are motivated to come to predefined conclusions - turning their scientific work, into political propaganda - and that is pretty much the entirety of the 'skeptic' side of the research.

The science behind the consensus highlighting the reality of and urgent need for action on climate change, is very diverse and through that, resilient to this kind of political meddling - that's why it commands credibility among the scientific community.

The scientific consensus is real and credible - the political propaganda masquerading as 'science' is what the 'skeptic' side of the debate is founded on - and it's been trivially easy to reveal this (pretty much all goes back to a handful of fossil fuel funded think tanks), throughout the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

That's insulting to anyone who experiences abuse that you would demean their experience by suggesting Greta is being subjected to it.

No it’s not. Lots of people who are parents themselves have watched footage of this child in which she appears to be very distressed and/or under severe pressure and struggling.
    It’s no secret that the child has learning difficulties.
    It’s totally fair comment to say that her parents putting her in the position of exacerbating her difficulties in this way is not the best parenting.
    If you have allowed yourself to become so emotionally involved in the Greta Thunberg story that you feel that any criticism of her or her parents is hurting you personally then you’ll have to deal with that.
    You can’t stop other people from expressing legitimately held opinions on this matter or any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

gozunda wrote: »
    Thankfully it was awarded to a very worthy candidate
    Nobel Peace Prize: Ethiopia PM Abiy Ahmed wins
    I would not be a political supporter of his, but tbh he is much more worthy of the prize than the likes of Greta, and earlier Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Her quote of the leaders are behaving as children rings true as I scroll through Trump's tweets in my twitter feed. I'm sure we can all agree with her on that anyway.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1182745590007861248

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Her quote of the leaders are behaving as children rings true as I scroll through Trump's tweets in my twitter feed. I'm sure we can all agree with her on that anyway.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1182745590007861248

"as I scroll through Trump's tweets in my twitter feed"

There's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

JJayoo wrote: »
    "as I scroll through Trump's tweets in my twitter feed"

There's the problem.

How do you mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Is it time to give 14 or 15 year olds and up the right to vote? They seem to be leading the way on climate change

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Mary Robinson raises the hackles of the ordinary peasants she despises because she is so privileged she is completely and utterly detached from the lives of those she lectures. She had servants when she attended Trinity for heavens sake.

She is an adjunct professor of "climate justice" now in Trinners, whateve b the F that's supposed to be. She took up the role in July after being there for some other position their up until June. If there is a right on bandwagon you can be sure Mary will be hitching herself and her supermassive ego and bank account details onto it. Bono seems humble in comparison.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement