Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Affairs chat thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Hogzy wrote: »
    Jesus no wonder this forum is dying a death!:rolleyes:

Yeah, it seems to be.
    For a thread that had 700 posts or more to disappear without an explanation stinks. There is a very interesting development in the High Court, which warrants its own thread about the merits of the case, but not about the case itself. There is little respect to those who contributed to the thread without explaining with a stickie or something like that the reason why all the contributions disappeared into thin air.

There were complaints about the misogynistic nature of some of the posts on that thread by a few posters in Feedback, but if the culprits were males on welfare traveling thousands of miles for penile enhancements, similar comments would be made by posters.

The very narrative of Current Affairs threads seems to be directed by a very select few these days.
    For Whom The Bell Tolls ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Kivaro wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems to be.
    For a thread that had 700 posts or more to disappear without an explanation stinks. There is a very interesting development in the High Court, which warrants its own thread about the merits of the case, but not about the case itself. There is little respect to those who contributed to the thread without explaining with a stickie or something like that the reason why all the contributions disappeared into thin air.

There were complaints about the misogynistic nature of some of the posts on that thread by a few posters in Feedback, but if the culprits were males on welfare traveling thousands of miles for penile enhancements, similar comments would be made by posters.

The very narrative of Current Affairs threads seems to be directed by a very select few these days.
    For Whom The Bell Tolls ....

Distilled Media has a left wing agenda so the narrative of the thread which criticised people who took advantage of the social welfare system doesnt fit with their view so its of no surprise the thread was deleted. Either that or the dont have the backbone to stand up to solicitors who say the threads are potentially prejudicing cases. Total BS! Off to Reddit to discuss it!

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Jesus no wonder this forum is dying a death!:rolleyes:

Because the site has legal obligations it must adhere to?

Distilled Media has a left wing agenda so the narrative of the thread which criticised people who took advantage of the social welfare system doesnt fit with their view so its of no surprise the thread was deleted.

Boards hasn't had any connection to Distilled Media since 2013. And Distilled Media doesn't even exist any more as they merged with the company who owned DoneDeal. However, no need to let facts get in the way of the conspiracy theory...xl9hyAS.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Tokyo wrote: »

Boards hasn't had any connection to Distilled Media since 2013. And Distilled Media doesn't even exist any more as they merged with the company who owned DoneDeal. However, no need to let facts get in the way of the conspiracy theory...xl9hyAS.gif

Journal Media/Distilled SCH then. Its overly cautious approach to discussing current affairs that are in the public interest but before the courts is ridiculous. Not all discussion is prejudical like. Its lazy moderation!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Journal Media/Distilled SCH then. Its overly cautious approach to discussing current affairs that are in the public interest but before the courts is ridiculous. Not all discussion is prejudical like. Its lazy moderation!

The law is quite clear on the matter, nothing to do with "lazy moderation".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Is this a result of the "positive test" followed by the news later of the. "negative test"

If so it looks like a device used by them to discredit public discord.

The only source for these stories was the mother of one of the defendants.

It's very similar to the VHI CEO is vaccinated in beacon followed later in the day that "CEO has cancer"

Essentially trying to wrong foot people's anger.

Sad day for democracy.

It's a case that concerns public health.

It's in the public interest.

It affects the constitution i.e EVERYONE.

............but we can't talk about it?

Grow a pair boards. Their lawyers must be scary indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Tokyo wrote: »

What specifically is the legal obligation?

Leo Varadkar is under criminal investigation. He is clearly able to use his position to prejudice any outcome of the investigation or future trial but that's fine?

Are we not allowed to talk about that?

Apologies if I'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,490 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Move over, snake jazz, cat is king again.. https://fb.watch/5uLlyR-apx/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

In Gods name who fhuuked up this site.?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

Thanks E, I only have mobile equipment, can I do that on a Pad?

If you’re using Android you click on the 3 dots on the right at the top of your browser.

If, like me, you’re using, superior, Apple products you click on the aA button to the left of your address bar and click ‘Request Desktop Site’.

It’s not perfect but it’s a lot better than the “Mobile” site.

Shout out to @Leg End Reject for that technical advice.

The tide is turning…

Yeah, on Apple device ….can’t see that aA thing you speak of

It’s on the left of the address bar a small capital A and a capital A.

The tide is turning…

Let me know if there’s a problem with that as there’s a way of changing it through the Safari settings, wangs it up a bit because it does it for every website and things like Google searches become painful.

The tide is turning…

Thanks E ,I was not on Safari using a different engine, it’s somewhat more smooth now.

Thanks for your input.

I don't want to say I hate it, however, I must. This changeover is just objectively bad, in spite of a few pro's like pasting images. It's ground this buzzing forum into a library of murmur

• Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Well I can’t find my way around it so can’t really post. I’m sure I’m not alone.

where are “my threads” and am I not getting notifications because nobody is posting on them or for some other reason?

that I don't know, I miss the dropdown navigator immensely. I'd check the feedback forum for threads about where to find stuff, I never really subbed to any threads, save 1 that I need as a mod, to manage an access list, so I'd be the worst person to ask.

If you won't shut up, are you really part of the silent majority? /random vent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I find it immensely odd. I guess that boards.ie doesn't have any web developer in its crew, but the whole process of hosting with a service that seemingly demands an update to your application, does this to the live site (what!?), has the site offline during the entire process (double what!?!), and then seemingly provides no support after this is just bizarre.

I understand that boards doesn't have the budget of Facebook, but surely it should do better for the money it does have.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What's happening in Plymouth?

Sky News Breaking

@SkyNewsBreak

·

30m

Sky News understands there have been multiple fatalities in an incident in Plymouth which is not being treated as terror-related

Apparently a fella called Jake Davison killed his parents, his little sister, another 3 yr old and possibly that child’s father.

According to locals on Facebook, the father of the shooter had begged mental health services to treat him. No idea how he got hold of a gun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭animalinside

It's a picture lads, relax. Her picture was everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

Would love to know the “genuine reason” given by the other person in the house of why the pic was there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

This seems at odds with this:

Is the government incapable of planning these things. The UK lifted restrictions on people with family there. Now they want people to put them up in their homes. How many politicians are going to do this themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

If there's a referendum on housing and it's passed, does that mean I can stop paying my mortgage as I'll have a constitutional right to a house.

Fuckin dumb idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

100,000 refugees expected, where are they going to put them?

This is at the same to me as rationing is being discussed along with inflation and rising fuel cost which will result in hyper inflation. On top of rising interest rates.

They are being warned that the Albanian cartel will be trying to get in posing as Ukrainian refugees too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

100,000 refugees expected, where are they going to put them?

It's believed that many if not most will live in Irish homes. Shoukd the government have to told them to stay in Ukraine?

They are being warned that the Albanian cartel will be trying to get in posing as Ukrainian refugees too.

Yawn! What will the Albanian cartel do once they are occupying someone's spare room somewhere in Leitrim?

Advertisement