Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a Hotelier

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

[...] - always book direct with the hotel as they will give you the maximum cancellation time possible, whereas if you book with certain OTA ( online travel agencies ) they may give you 24 / 48hrs beforehand to cancel which limits you
    For the use who asked if acronyms could be expanded, OTA was explained in an earlier post (above).

I'm assuming PPC is pay per click but maybe not in this instance :)

SEO - search engine optimisation

PY - I'm stumped.

Could you help us out with that one please, I'm a hotelier, AMA?

• Company Representative Posts: 121 Verified rep I'm a hotelier, AMA

For the use who asked if acronyms could be expanded, OTA was explained in an earlier post (above).

I'm assuming PPC is pay per click but maybe not in this instance :)

SEO - search engine optimisation

PY - I'm stumped.

Could you help us out with that one please, I'm a hotelier, AMA?

Apologies, i probably should expand more. Im just used to talking to hoteliers haha

PPC and SEO are as stated above
    OTA is Online Travel Agent such as expedia, booking.com
    PY is prior year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Talking about bloggers etc, do you get many trying to get free deals etc for 'the exposure'? If so, what are your minimum follower requirements etc to work with an influencer? Or is all that handled by top office or the publicity department?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Apart from the blatant rogue reviews, overall would you say has TripAdvisor been a good thing for the hotel industry?

Have you ever given a Trip Advisor Destination Expert special treatment for booking in your hotel?

Talking about bloggers etc, do you get many trying to get free deals etc for 'the exposure'? If so, what are your minimum follower requirements etc to work with an influencer? Or is all that handled by top office or the publicity department?

We wouldnt tend to deal with them to be honest and dont really get inundated with requests from them either. We employ a team of people in-house to look after our marketing and they are very good at what they do. You may on occasion get approached by a big name with a large fan base - if that happened then im sure we might look at doing something with them but only if it made sense for us to do so and only if it could offer us something in terms of marketing that it would be difficult for us to achieve by ourselves. Pretty sure we have never done any deals with bloggers though that i can recall

• Advertisement

Sundew wrote: »
    Apart from the blatant rogue reviews, overall would you say has TripAdvisor been a good thing for the hotel industry?

Have you ever given a Trip Advisor Destination Expert special treatment for booking in your hotel?

Anything that allows you to benchmark your hotels against your competitors is a good thing. On the whole i would say that tripadvisor is a good thing. Regardless of your views on it, we are stuck with it so you have to embrace it.

We would also use other tools such as review pro - this scrapes all comments online from every source into one portal for you and gives you a GRI % ( global review index ) which really tells you where you are. We would also use internal hotel group questionnaire emails after a guest has checked out asking how their stay was and we would also engage mystery shopper companies once every quarter to test our hotels. All of this is worthwhile and keeps hotels on their toes

Nope, never given any major special treatment to someone like that. Take us as you find us. All guests should be treated equally. We go the extra mile for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I believe it's the case that some OTAs charge up to 18-22% commission?

If so, do hotels actively try to direct customers into buying direct from the hotel's own website?

Can the hotel offer lower rates direct than on the OTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Nope, never given any major special treatment to someone like that. Take us as you find us. All guests should be treated equally. We go the extra mile for everyone

Fair Play! Reason I asked was I knew of somebody who was solicited on TripAdvisor by a member of staff of an exclusive hotel in Dublin,for a guided tour and lunch! So am now always wary of certain reviewers online!

Geuze wrote: »
    I believe it's the case that some OTAs charge up to 18-22% commission?

If so, do hotels actively try to direct customers into buying direct from the hotel's own website?

Can the hotel offer lower rates direct than on the OTA?

Yes we do pay commission on bookings from OTA's. I wont go into exact percentages but yes hotels always try to get guests to book direct as we make more money that way

cheapest rates for hotels SHOULD always be on your own website / offered directly to guests. OTA prices tend to be higher as we add on the amount of money that we are going to pay in commission to the OTA prices so that we get the same money for the room. Booking.com were very aggressive a few years back wanting rate parity from hotels ( the price on the hotels website and booking.com would be the same ) but they dont do that anymore. Having said that, sometimes hotels will run special offers on the OTA's by offering % discounts and sometimes it will end up that the rate will be cheaper on booking.com than your own website but it really should never get to that stage if hotels are on the ball with their rates. Moral of the story - if you want a hotel, always go direct

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭boccers

If someone arrives at your hotel late in the evening would you ever accept a haggle on price knowing that you almost certainly will be left with empty rooms?

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, what would you say is the standard for tipping in irish hotels. To who, and how much?

boccers wrote: »
    If someone arrives at your hotel late in the evening would you ever accept a haggle on price knowing that you almost certainly will be left with empty rooms?

yes we will haggle to a certain extent. The hotels will have a price point that they wont go under. Having said that, we wont sell rooms for crazy cheap prices either. If the rate for the day was say 79 euro and someone came in at midnight or 1am looking for a room and offered you 60 - you would probably take it

Out of curiosity, what would you say is the standard for tipping in irish hotels. To who, and how much?

I wouldnt say there is a standard to be honest. large groups / weddings / conferences do tend to leave a bulk tip that would be put into a staff fund and used for staff outings perhaps.

Individual tipping would occur from time to time for say porters, waiting staff and receptionists.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Do you have a bedside locker?

Whats in said Bedside locker?

Do Hotel cleaners make much in "Forgotten money" or Left change when a room is vacated?

Do you have a bedside locker?

Whats in said Bedside locker?

Do Hotel cleaners make much in "Forgotten money" or Left change when a room is vacated?

Some hotels have bedside lockers. More modern hotels have what we refer to as "bible boxes " recessed into the headboards that perform the same task of a locker.

As the name above suggests, we have a bible in them

Not really. Very small amounts of people leave money in the rooms these days. used to be more of a thing when hotel rooms were all smoking rooms and had the ashtrays in them. people used to leave the coins in the ashtrays for the staff but not anymore since we took them out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Great thread, very interesting as my eldest is doing the International Hotel Management degree course in Shannon at the moment. She would be thinking in terms of a graduate management programme with an international chain when she finishes, ideally a route to a career in the US.

What's the view within the industry of the Shannon degree?

Would you have any advice for someone looking to get onto a graduate programme?

Anything/ anywhere to avoid in terms of career choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Some hotels have bedside lockers. More modern hotels have what we refer to as "bible boxes " recessed into the headboards that perform the same task of a locker.

As the name above suggests, we have a bible in them

What's the origins behind a bible in a hotel room? I can honestly say I've never gone away for a night and even taken the bible out of the drawer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Has any of your staff ever caught another staff member sleeping in one of the rooms or, ahem, doing something they shouldn't?

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Great thread, very interesting as my eldest is doing the International Hotel Management degree course in Shannon at the moment. She would be thinking in terms of a graduate management programme with an international chain when she finishes, ideally a route to a career in the US.

What's the view within the industry of the Shannon degree?

Would you have any advice for someone looking to get onto a graduate programme?

Anything/ anywhere to avoid in terms of career choice?

Shannon has a good reputation and i have worked with a few people that graduated from there over the years. She seems to have a plan in terms of wanting the work and live in the US, even at this early age which will certainly benefit her in terms of career development. The sooner she decides her path, the sooner she can get on the ladder towards achieving it.

In terms of advice - her qualification will not open the immediate doors that many people think it will. She will have to start working at the bottom and work her way up. if she is able to work part time in a hotel whilst in college it would be great benefit to her. I would recommend a reception job if possible as its the focal point of a hotel and everything flows through it so its a great dept to gain hotel knowledge in. From reception, people can progress to reservations, then to say either revenue management or front office management, then to deputy, then to GM. Something like that would be a clearly defined succession plan.

With regards to a graduate programme - most hotel groups do them. Really depends on where she sees herself working so choose the hotel group that she would like to work for carefully. Once a member of staff demonstrates a willingness to work hard and show that they want to learn and make themselves and the company better then they will get a lot of support from their hotels. We do look after our own :)

CheerLouth wrote: »
    What's the origins behind a bible in a hotel room? I can honestly say I've never gone away for a night and even taken the bible out of the drawer!

Dates back to the late 1800's believe it or not. The Gideons used to travel a lot and they came up with the great idea that they could spread the word to more people if they left a bible in each hotel room and there ya have it.

• Advertisement

Monife wrote: »
    Has any of your staff ever caught another staff member sleeping in one of the rooms or, ahem, doing something they shouldn't?

Im sure shenanigans like that happen in lots of workplaces. Why would hotels be any different !!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Shannon has a good reputation and i have worked with a few people that graduated from there over the years. She seems to have a plan in terms of wanting the work and live in the US, even at this early age which will certainly benefit her in terms of career development. The sooner she decides her path, the sooner she can get on the ladder towards achieving it.

In terms of advice - her qualification will not open the immediate doors that many people think it will. She will have to start working at the bottom and work her way up. if she is able to work part time in a hotel whilst in college it would be great benefit to her. I would recommend a reception job if possible as its the focal point of a hotel and everything flows through it so its a great dept to gain hotel knowledge in. From reception, people can progress to reservations, then to say either revenue management or front office management, then to deputy, then to GM. Something like that would be a clearly defined succession plan.

With regards to a graduate programme - most hotel groups do them. Really depends on where she sees herself working so choose the hotel group that she would like to work for carefully. Once a member of staff demonstrates a willingness to work hard and show that they want to learn and make themselves and the company better then they will get a lot of support from their hotels. We do look after our own :)

Thanks that's really helpful

In Shannon they spend 2nd year working a 12 month stint in a Spanish, German or French speaking country, depending on their second language, generally in 5* hotels, that's the stage my daughter is at now. We were over for a visit recently, the managers work the interns like dogs but they get on with it, great for developing the work ethic. They also seem to party as hard as students anywhere.

They then do a further 6 months placement somewhere outside Europe at the end of 4th year before graduating.

From what I can see so far its an excellent course. The college claim a 100% employment rate, I think many of the 4th year placements keep the students on at the end of their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Wouldnt say that the crappiest rooms are allocated to solo travellers but ...... if a hotel sees that you are on your own, they may well allocate a single room to you, which do tend to be small rooms that were just shoehorned in during construction to squeeze a bit more revenue out of the hotel. Maybe next time you are travelling alone, select 2 adults and a double / double single room and see what happens. You will probably get a better room

I don't travel at all now for work and was lucky really to almost always get decent rooms. The company that I worked for used to do the bookings..
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Do your rooms have Corby trouser presses as standard?

Also, if I visited your hotel, could I bring my own extra large plate for the carvery?

Hi Hotelier person- congratulations on a most excellent thread :D

Just a couple of Qs:

Do you think changes in technology will impact on hotel employment figures in the future? i.e. automation/self service taking certain jobs?

What's your attitude towards "pod" hotels- i.e. basically tiny room to sleep in- do you think they will catch on in ireland (like Japan?)

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

What do you think about certain hotels accepting guests who are homeless and their stay being funded by the CoCo’s, but then certain areas of the hotel (bar, gym, pool) being made unavailable to these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

When an event/concert is on and the price of rooms go way up. Isn't that blatant profiteering as your making a a profit on your rooms at the standard rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

No. Very few hotels offer staff accommodation anymore. We have enough problems to deal with these days without bringing that headache upon ourselves haha you might still get it in some seasonal towns such as Killarney maybe, where it can be hard to attract staff to hotels for only a certain few months of the year

I can confirm these do still exist in Killarney and other locations in Kerry. Only in a few hotels I know of though.

I worked in hotels in Killarney for about 8 years. Hard work and crazy hours but some craic. Don't think I could do it now but I loved working in hotels. You are in the hotel so long (sometimes 70hr weeks) that it really is like a family. Much more so than the office job I have now. So hard to retain staff though. My Mother is a chef in a hotel and they often have to recruit from other countries as it's so hard to find chefs, especially chefs that will stay!

Do your rooms have Corby trouser presses as standard?

Also, if I visited your hotel, could I bring my own extra large plate for the carvery?

Mixed bag really. Some have corby, others have berkshire, others have oxford and some dont have them at all. We have a varied collection of hotels.

Re the plate ..... think ill have to say no to that one :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I can confirm these do still exist in Killarney and other locations in Kerry. Only in a few hotels I know of though.

I worked in hotels in Killarney for about 8 years. Hard work and crazy hours but some craic. Don't think I could do it now but I loved working in hotels. You are in the hotel so long (sometimes 70hr weeks) that it really is like a family. Much more so than the office job I have now. So hard to retain staff though. My Mother is a chef in a hotel and they often have to recruit from other countries as it's so hard to find chefs, especially chefs that will stay!

i spent many a day working in our hotel in Killarney. Spent many a night in a club called the crypt too if i recall correctly haha :D but you are right - hotels are a family and we really do look after our own and have some craic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement