Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a Rugby Journalist

2»

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17 Verified rep The42.ie: Sean

Pter wrote: »
    Are you sick of going to matches at this stage?

You know, when you do something for fun, its great; when you do something for work, it can get a bit boring.

You're dead right, even dream jobs become regular jobs when you do them long enough. Going to matches is still a highlight, but there are definitely some games which don't get the blood pumping as much as others.

For instance, I've some schools cup semi-finals to look forward to this week and while the rugby will be more than decent, my seat will be planted midway between two sets of schoolkids armed with drums, loudspeakers and roughly five songs to be stretched over the course of almost two hours.

callaway92 wrote: »
    In Johnny Holland’s AMA he said he was never once tested whilst playing for Munster or wasn’t aware of anyone else being tested at the club.

I didn't see that, that's really interesting. Though my point about provinces controlling what goes into a player stands.

It's hard to come up with a number of tests and say, 'that's enough'.

Sport Ireland would oversee the testing that does get done and there are also tests which would take place after Pro14, European and international matches.

jay0109 wrote: »
    Rugby in Ireland in the past 15 or so years...the triumph of marketing over reason. Discuss.

I'd say there is a strong reason behind rugby's growth here and, in a way, the people who had to market the game got a huge slice of luck because the first real professional generation of players who came through were seriously good.

Munster in the Heineken Cup also played a massive role in bringing the game to a wider audience than the traditional hotbeds.

There is something deeply ingrained in us that is drawn to seeing an Irish team take on and beat English opposition. Other sports just can't provide that regularly.

Would be interested in hearing the case for marketing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Have you read the law book in its entirety? Do you think that journalists and commentators have a duty to know the laws of the game they write about ?

Buer wrote: »
    I'm sure there is pressure within the industry to be the first person with the big story or breaking news. We've seen a number of times now where there has been misinformation being purported as accurate only to be contradicted thereafter most recently with Joey Carbery being reported as out for the entire 6N (and possibly the European quarter final) only for Joe Schmidt to inform all that he's due back full training this week.

To your knowledge, do journalists deliberately take liberties by making assumptions in their efforts to get the scoop or are they being fed red herrings by those within the game?

Also, following the bizarre stand off last year between the Irish coaching team and the RWI journalists, has there been any long term damage to the relationship between the two sides? Do you feel the actions of Joe Schmidt were justified to cancel the media huddle at that point?

I'd definitely say there are no liberties in assumptions being made. In general, if you have a story from a good source then you'll trust it while also trying to get a second source to back it up.

Injuries are tough though. Some time-lines given by teams could be over-cautious or under-playing an injury, while different players heal at different rates, or maybe a lad's hamstring responded to ice and a massage way better than anyone expected. It's only when they take the field you know for sure how fit they are.

As for Schmidt and the press, it feels like he has been gradually cutting down media access time since he took the job, but it's hard to feel he doesn't have the priorities in order. Cancelling the huddle was a mess, but I don't think there is any ill will held over it. He's an unreal rugby coach.

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Hi Sean,

Thanks for doing this AMA. Have a few (sorry, quite a few!) questions for you:

What do you think of the Pro 14 conference system? Do you think the fixture lists are balanced, particularly looking at the Irish derbies compared to other national derbies? And is further expansion feasible?

Does the player welfare system do a disservice to the league as teams send second string sides? We've seen some absolute thumpings (early rounds this season, particularly Munster's flip-flopping form, and the only team capable of doing so and getting wins is Leinster's U8s), and then facts like Sexton playing in Thomond for the first time in five (?) years this year!

On the subject of player welfare, we've heard that some Irish players haven't played enough rugby recently. We're also seeing an injury crisis in certain key positions. Is it just bad luck that players are getting injured in a Murphy's Law type scenario (I know rugby is a physical sport) and bad timing that a couple of players are not hitting the same highs. Have we gotten the balancing act wrong? Should players actually be playing more?

Do you think New Zealand used the November series to gather data - they played the blitz defence, played a much narrower game against Ireland than they would have typically up to the 60/70min mark - with one eye on the World Cup regardless of results?

Jaysus, Sabre.;)

I really like the Pro14 conference system. Only issue would be there is an imbalance between home and away fixtures and there are sometimes off situations where teams don't care about letting a team in for a losing bonus point because they're in different conferences - though that can be a positive for attacking rugby. European qualification is problematic too with South Africans not eligible, though neither SA team is very good this year.

Inter-pros are good and really good for Ireland, do you want more or less of them?

Player management on the whole is good, but yeah, it can devalue a fair few Pro14 games along the way. But, like Sexton going to Thomond, there are still some very feisty matches to see through the season.

Should players be playing more? It's such a punishing game at the top level that the rest periods out of the firing line are vital. So it's a case-by-case thing really. A lot of younger players get released from their province to play a good standard of AIL rugby. I'd like to see much more of that.

NZ are cute hoors. But I don't think they were holding too much back. They may have just been in a poor run of form at the end of a long season. They came within a whisker of losing to England before coming over and losing to us.

Eoin wrote: »
    Or is it the reverse and it's hard to get anything of interest, given that they seem to be media trained to the point of blandness? e.g. how many times are you told they're "taking it one match at a time"?

In fairness, most players are aware enough to know when they're trotting out a cliche and they might do it with a bit of tongue in cheek.

Interviews are often a struggle between journalists asking about emotions and feelings while players want to stick 100% to the process.

But cliches are cliches for a reason. If a player is taking it one game at a time and telling us about the fine margins, it's because they believe that's the best way to bring about a win from a performance psychology point of view.

Although, I've had some players say they deliberately mention longer-term targets on the record as a kind of goal-setting exercise. A step above writing it down and sticking it on their fridge door, a statement made that they have to then go and back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'm always keen to know how much time journalists spend on forums such as these.

Would yourselves at the 42 or your colleagues from other publications spend much time on Boards/ Reddit/ Munster or Leinster fans?

While there's an awful lot of ****e here, I have seen news and rumours started also.

Would forums such as these be a go to for Rugby Journalists?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    With such low participation figures and poor grassroots support - while the provinces and national team get big crowds.

Is rugby the ultimate bandwagon sport in Ireland?

Be gone foul soccer/GAA demon!

Which is the worst monger? Fish, iron, rumour or war?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The club game and youths(clubs) game face some major issues in terms of promotion/marketing etc
    What do you think is needed to help get more people interested in both these areas of the game.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

callaway92 wrote: »
    In Johnny Holland’s AMA he said he was never once tested whilst playing for Munster or wasn’t aware of anyone else being tested at the club.
    I didn't see that, that's really interesting. Though my point about provinces controlling what goes into a player stands.

Sport Ireland would oversee the testing that does get done and there are also tests which would take place after Pro14, European and international matches.

Just for reference you can find Jonny Holland's AMA here if anyone wants to read it. He did it in January 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭blue note

This is exactly the attitude that I'd suspect is prevalent in sports journalism. Basically no interest in doping as a story, happy to assume it's all fine. While I agree that ewan McKenna and paul kimmage can be annoying when talking about it, I'd be amazed if they're not correct about the majority of it. Even David Walsh seems fed up of it now and doesn't seem to want the hassle of pursuing team sky. Cycling and athletics are known to be full of drugs, but I'd be amazed if the majority of (in particular) professional sports are not riddled with drug taking. I'd say a lot of it is abuse of TUEs. And if it's not a genuine TUE, it's no better than straightforward use of banned substances.

So my question - would you say that sports journalists in general don't actually want that story? I imagine it could make getting access to players and clubs more difficult, you'd get typecast as the journalist only interested in doping and sensationalising it, it ruins all the positive stories about whatever team winning the Heineken cup, etc. It just seems to me to be in your interest to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Is this thread over already?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

To be fair it's been a ridiculously busy week for rugby news.....

I'm always keen to know how much time journalists spend on forums such as these.

Would yourselves at the 42 or your colleagues from other publications spend much time on Boards/ Reddit/ Munster or Leinster fans?

While there's an awful lot of ****e here, I have seen news and rumours started also.

Would forums such as these be a go to for Rugby Journalists?

As some of you have noticed by the long gap between my answers, for me personally the answer is not a lot.

Which is the worst monger? Fish, iron, rumour or war?

War for sure.

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    And to build on this, is this why we're seeing broadcasters attempt to catch players/management at times (immediately at half time for players, while game is in progress for coaches) when their guard may be lower?

In part, yeah. I'd say there is a difference between a player when their heart-rate is up and they're just off the field Vs when they've meandered down a corridor with notes to face the microphones.

I think broadcasters (did it start in Aus /NZ with Fox maybe?) like the optics of having their reporter on the field having the first word with a player. They've paid big bucks for broadcast rights, but I don't think I've seen anyone get value for money from one of those mid-game interviews.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Given the level of perpetual blandness that exists in the modern game, is it fair to say that we are still missing Simon Geoghegan ?

Perifect wrote: »
    Journalists don't have a great reputation. Mostly not in the sports area in fairness. How low would you sink to get a story? Are there any areas you'd consider off limits?

This is a really interesting one, and the tone of a few questions here have been based on a low opinion of journalists.

How low would I sink to get a story? Not very low, but how do I know my moral compass is tuned similarly to yours?

As you say, as a sportswriter, sinking low isn't a big part of the beat. But I'm curious to know why you feel journalists have a bad reputation? If it's all down to Piers Morgan, then fair enough, but remember there's a whole lot of journalists out there.

• Advertisement

Gonad wrote: »
    Are there any great comments that you remember stand out from the The 42 comments section ?

I can't think of any off the top of my head, sorry.

Obviously, the comment section has a woeful reputation, but I think generally, there is a very different type of person chatting below the sports side of the site than there is on the news side.

There are arguments, sure. But I think regular commenters see who is genuinely giving an opinion and who is stirring to get some weird thrill.

blue note wrote: »
    This is exactly the attitude that I'd suspect is prevalent in sports journalism. Basically no interest in doping as a story, happy to assume it's all fine. While I agree that ewan McKenna and paul kimmage can be annoying when talking about it, I'd be amazed if they're not correct about the majority of it. Even David Walsh seems fed up of it now and doesn't seem to want the hassle of pursuing team sky. Cycling and athletics are known to be full of drugs, but I'd be amazed if the majority of (in particular) professional sports are not riddled with drug taking. I'd say a lot of it is abuse of TUEs. And if it's not a genuine TUE, it's no better than straightforward use of banned substances.

So my question - would you say that sports journalists in general don't actually want that story? I imagine it could make getting access to players and clubs more difficult, you'd get typecast as the journalist only interested in doping and sensationalising it, it ruins all the positive stories about whatever team winning the Heineken cup, etc. It just seems to me to be in your interest to ignore it.

Trust me, the access we get is definitely not good enough to tempt anyone to turn a blind eye.

When you say: 'you'd get typecast as the journalist only interested in doping and sensationalising it, it ruins all the positive stories' - I'd say you're spot on if, as it seems, you're asking for articles on doping that are extremely speculative hit-pieces (I think Ewan did one like that last year, actually, but it was taken down by the publication).

You're dead wrong about nobody being interested in doping as a story (Munster fans seemed to think we were all way too interested in it when the Grobler storm happened last year). Even in my original answer here I said every sport ought to be concerned. Trouble is, we can't just go tarring people with a doping tag with zero evidence.

At some point, there probably have been Irish players on PEDs, but I'd be lying if I told you I've seen the slightest evidence of it now.

It's a shame that you think all sports are riddled. Must really take the joy out of it. For me, anyway, it's very tough to watch people in competition when they have a history of doping because we know that the benefits can live on in the muscle long after the substance has passed through.

Shelflife wrote: »
    Have you read the law book in its entirety? Do you think that journalists and commentators have a duty to know the laws of the game they write about ?

No, sir. Sorry, Sir. ;)

But yeah, of course if you're covering a sport you have to know the rul... eh, laws. Or the crux of them anyway.

Now, if you were about to set me a quiz I doubt I'd confidently sit down and tell you it was 100%, but as Joe says "I'm never confident, always anxious" - been a while since I did the one on World Rugby's site.

Referees have an incredibly difficult job trying to apply the laws when bodies are flying in from all angles and constantly nudging the grey areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Doesn't sound like that would ever catch on :cool:

Don't ever try telling Andy Farrell (or Brian Carney) that! ;)

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Given the level of perpetual blandness that exists in the modern game, is it fair to say that we are still missing Simon Geoghegan ?

For those of us of a certain age, his billowing jersey and bouncing blonde locks were our first glimpse of rugby. So, of course he's missed.

Last I heard he was living a quiet life as a dentist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Why did the Irish rugby media turn a blind eye to the best Irish rugby scandal of the past decade? Surely the outstanding performance of the lads involved deserved an enthusiastic report?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The quality of some of the questions in this thread are embarrassingly poor and distasteful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

For those of us of a certain age, his billowing jersey and bouncing blonde locks were our first glimpse of rugby. So, of course he's missed.

Last I heard he was living a quiet life as a dentist.

Incorrect, he is a solicitor, you may not award a try. Thank you.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

We'd like to thank Sean for coming on at a very busy time in the Rugby calendar. If you'd like to chat more about all things rugby, visit the dedicated forum here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement