Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

• 17-08-2012 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Thought instead of cluttering up the prediction thread it was as good a time as any to start an Oakland Raiders thread.

Here's the fixture list
    Chargers
    @Dolphins
    Steelers
    @Broncos
    Break
    @Falcons
    Jags
    @chiefs
    Bucs
    @Ravens
    Saints
    Brown
    Bengals
    Chiefs
    @Panthers
    @Chargers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Thought instead of cluttering up the prediction thread it was as good a time as any to start an Oakland Raiders thread.

Here's the fixture list

What kind of numbers do you think Palmer will put up this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What kind of numbers do you think Palmer will put up this year?

It's hard to tell. We'll be a run first team but if DMAC goes down we'll obviously have to air it out. I'd expect about 3.6k yards, 21TDs and 14 Ints or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

What about this guy Pryor? is he another JaMarcus without the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ibmax

Leslie91 wrote: »

Pryor is more like Can Newton without the arm strength, awareness and accuracy. He has a ton of natural ability but after running a 1-read-then-run offense in college and missing out on the important parts of last year he's a long way to go before he can contribute. He'll be stashed away as the 3rd string QB and might be used on some trick plays but it'll be a long time (if ever) before we ever see him start.

As for the Palmer question, 3,500 as Chucky says is probably about right. The offense is flying under the radar at this stage. Palmer is saying all the right things and the reports coming out of training camp are all positive. DMc's presence will leave a lot of 1v1 coverage on the outside and the Oline is one of the most underrated around. Greg Knapp's return will see them switch to zone blocking which should suit Veldheer, MiniWiz, Brisel and Cooper Carlisle. The only question mark is Khalif Barnes at RT though RT has seemingly been a question mark since the late 90's!!!

I'm quite excited to see the receivers too if they can all stay healthy (a big IF). DHB could top 1,000 yards and Denarius Moore will emerge as a star if he stays fit! Inside, Jacoby Ford should be very well suited to the west coast offense and his speed alone will prove very difficult to gameplan against with safeties and LB's trying to cover him. Finally there are the 2 rookie receivers, Juron Criner and UDFA Rod Streater. Criner should be a decent redzone target for Palmer (given there are essentially no TE's on the roster) while Rod Streater has looked like a 5 year vet in the offseason!!! He had 6 catches for 66yards in a quarter of action last weekend running with the 2nd team and abused the Cowboys counterparts. He could easily be the latest rookie Raider receiver to come out of nowhere and put up decent numbers when the regular season starts.

The lack of TE's (as mentioned) is concerning though Marcel Reese's along with McFadden's catching out of the backfield should alleviate that somewhat... it would be nice to have a big body over the middle at times though. At the moment Brandon Myers is slated to start and there is little competition to push him. There's no TE value in free agency so it'll be myers this year and then a rookie in round 2 or 3 next!!!

All in all, given McFadden's return, the switch to zone blocking, the schedule, Palmer's familiarity with the system and a weak defense will mean the offense could easily be top 10 :D ...

If only the defense was as promising...

Well he's black, that's where the similarities start and end really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Palmer's numbers last year project to 4688 yards this year, and 23 TDs and INTs, I imagine the yards will be around 4,000 while the TDs will be up on 23 and INT down on 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I'm a big fan of Pryor. It all depends on how much he wants it. Bit disappointing that he is still only 3rd string. All the ability in the world and I wouldn't rule him out to be in a position to take over from Palmer in 2/3 years.

If the Raiders and Palmer in particular are poor this year it will be a bad thing for Pryor as if the Raiders are picking in top 5 next April then they will surely take a new franchise QB and part ways with Carson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

*(carrying on the debate about Palmer on the predictions thread)

He's having a terrible pre-season, which has to be disappointing. You can say what you want about last season, but he's had time to learn the Playbook and gel with his receivers. It's clear he's behind a lot of other QB's in the league at this point. Sure, it's only pre-season, but you'd think he'd be out to prove his critics wrong. Even if not, he looks poor, with the season approaching fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ibmax

For the second week in a row complete domination combined with massive lapses in concentration and a lot of sloppiness led to a poor return last night. 2 fumbles, 3 dropped passes, 1 stupid INT and a blocked punt gave the Cards 17 second quarter points!! The cherry on the top was a blocked XP late in the game!!!

The score at HT, by which time most of the first stringers were pulled (if you consider either of Kolb/Skelton 1st stringers) was 24-11 despite the Cards being out yarded 183 to 50 and out T.O.Ped by 22mins to 8mins. Classic Raiders stuff there!!!

On the bright side, the Dline was dominant again and Rod Streater caught 7 more balls to give him 13 catches in 2 games!!! Jacoby Ford left the game with an ankle injury and Moore can't get healthy so Streater might get the start next week. It'll be interesting to see if he can continue his form vs a first string D.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

Well he's black, that's where the similarities start and end really.

He is also about 15 stone lighter and I don't think he has the same fondness for Jolly Ranchers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭golfball37

Anyone know if the game against the Chargers is on ESPN Monday night?

First full season without our father Al, it will be strange.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the game against the Chargers is on ESPN Monday night?

First full season without our father Al, it will be strange.

Sure is. And in HD too if u have UPC. C'mon u Bolts!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭golfball37

I'm hearing now that its not, its only on via the BBC red button. :mad:

Anyone know for definate what teh Monday night arrangements are.

PS- I never knew Campbell had gone to Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

golfball37 wrote: »

I'm hearing now that its not, its only on via the BBC red button. :mad:

Anyone know for definate what teh Monday night arrangements are.

PS- I never knew Campbell had gone to Chicago.

Yeah BBC red button, ESPN don't have any NFL this season. Still havnt found out for definite if you can or can't record red button, which is my only issue with the beeb having it.

Yeah BBC red button, ESPN don't have any NFL this season. Still havnt found out for definite if you can or can't record red button, which is my only issue with the beeb having it.

Feck..... don't have Beeb red button.

Gamepass on tue it is.

Well lads... your LS issue excluded what did you like/not like?

I really like Streater even if he had a couple of drops. He gets open all day which is amazing considering he is an UDFA like our starting Left Tackle (Mr 'Freshmeat' per the Oakland Tribune).

McFadden looks back.

Pretty pleased over-all. Stupid penalties again were very frustrating though. We really missed Moore as well. In the first half we moved the ball easily enough but didn't have that extra bit of class to finish it off. Once are LS went down we were done. Great effort to keep you guys to field goals in the second half so that was pleasing. We were poor in run blocking also, struggled to create holes for McFadden.

Can't see either side doing much this year though. both lack the weapons to really threaten for a superbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

As a Raiders Fan it looks like another frustrating year. We really should have made the play-off's last season, but for injuries, and our ability to lose games after early big leads.

Can't understand why we sacked Hue Jackson either, as the team was showing improvement under him coaching the offence and then as Head Coach, can't blame him for long term injuries to DMC and our starting QA Campbell last year.

Anyway, here's hoping for a 9-7 season or better :)

Hue Jackson was sacked because he was a clown. For someone who's such a supposedly amazingly talented OC who couldn't even get an OC gig says it all.

Hue Jackson was sacked because he was a clown. For someone who's such a supposedly amazingly talented OC who couldn't even get an OC gig says it all.

Agree... Hue was so out of his depth. Jury is out on Allen then I guess?. 'Deer in the headlights' thought came to mind at certain stages mon nite. Maybe he'll come good. He has to be an upgrade at least. And Knapp back too.

I saw Cable on some sideline at the w'e too, who is it he with now?, never was he a HC either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Hear Hear! It was frustrating watching the team offensively on Monday. DMac cant be expected to be the sole focus of the Offense. Quite apart from the fact that he'll get injured it means that opposing Defences cant be kept honest, which means greater time on the pitch for our Defence, and so on........
    The receivers really need to step up now. Streater is a prospect but he has to improve. He has to learn to protect the ball after the catch.

Was good to see the penalties dropping although Tommy Kelly had me screaming at the TV. Twice his penalties got San Diego out of a hole on 3rd Down. :mad:

But there's hope, there's always hope, isnt there? :cool:

Agree... Hue was so out of his depth. Jury is out on Allen then I guess?. 'Deer in the headlights' thought came to mind at certain stages mon nite. Maybe he'll come good. He has to be an upgrade at least. And Knapp back too.

I saw Cable on some sideline at the w'e too, who is it he with now?, never was he a HC either.
    Is Cable the offensive line coach at Seattle now, Leslie? I think thats where he ended up.

Is Cable the offensive line coach at Seattle now, Leslie? I think thats where he ended up.

Yep and assistant HC there too....

I see he was being touted for the UCLA job before Jim Mora jnr got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Jacoby Ford moved to IR. Was he set to feature much this season? Talented kid, inconsistent, but I'm almost sure he was a decent contributor on special teams?

Jacoby Ford moved to IR. Was he set to feature much this season? Talented kid, inconsistent, but I'm almost sure he was a decent contributor on special teams?

He would have been 3rd WR and our kick off return man. Very good returner and very useful weapon as a WR. Fairly injury prone though so not sure how he'll pan out at this stage.

Well that was 3.5 hours of my life that I'll never get back. Miami were made to look like a decent team, Brian Hartline made to look like a great receiver and our offence looks awful. If this is what we have to look forward to every week its going to be an awfully long season. My expectations arent great, I just want the Raiders to be competitive. I know we're not good enough to win the division but I'd like to think that there are positive signs of rebuilding going on, and its very hard to see at the moment. Not happy, not even close to happy.

How did you allow Reggie Bush run all over you?, sounds to me like the Raiders D took yesterday off.

How did you allow Reggie Bush run all over you?, sounds to me like the Raiders D took yesterday off.

He's an excellent running back. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Bush was on fire last night. His first TD he broke I think 4 tackles on the way in. Yes, we should have stopped him, but on that form I don't think it's overly strange he had a big game tbh.

• Advertisement

He's an excellent running back. :confused:
    He is, but there's no denying that the Defense was awful too.

Advertisement