Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Temple Pilots - Stone temple Pilots 2010

• 21-05-2010 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

It has been nine years since the Stone Temple Pilots released Shangri-La Dee Da, their fifth(and to be fair,worst album) along comes this little gem...

Where Tiny Music… had a lingering crush on grunge, No. 4 leaned on heavier riffs, and Shangri-La Dee Da worked in a psychedelic flavor, the band’s self-titled release greatly relies on a lot of familiar sounding riffs, harmonies, and melodies, although it still retains STP’s thumb print.

Stone Temple Pilots isn’t without its enjoyable moments, but for the majority of the record it unfortunately succumbs to classic rock syndrome: you can listen to an hour’s worth of enjoyable music, but very little of it actually stands out and leaves an impression.

Whether the world is ready for a new, improved Stone Temple Pilots or not, STP has turned in an album that proves quite emphatically that this band’s hit-making days might be behind them (no fault of theirs, of course) but that their best days are now. :eek:

Roll on download & Olympia shows!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Big 60's and 70's vibe on the new album. Could not shake the feeling that the Beatles were listened to a lot during the making of this album, along with the likes of The Troggs, The Animals, Early Aerosmith, and Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Anyone hoping for another Sex Type Thing, Wicked Garden,or Plush will be disappointed as that band is not on this album. If you are simply looking for anything that sounds like their hits, then avoid this.

But despite no stand out tracks as such, it manages alright due to all the songs being very listenable and melodic.

With sunny weather ahead, this could make for a good album to have playing whilst sitting outside and letting the world pass you by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Shangri-La Dee Da is my favourite STP album. The new album is fairly similiar to that with a sort of 70's sound to it. Listening to this album all day, its brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Futureadvocate

HBK wrote: »
    Whether the world is ready for a new, improved Stone Temple Pilots or not, STP has turned in an album that proves quite emphatically that this band’s hit-making days might be behind them (no fault of theirs, of course) but that their best days are now. :eek:

Between the Lines is doing really well on American radio though.I've heard it pn Phantom quite a bit too.

Defo a good album for driving along in the sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Is this in shops now?

• Advertisement

Is this in shops now?

Yep came out last week.

Pretty solid album. Had it and Lynyrd Skynyrd's God & Guns for company from Fota in Cork to Limerick last Sunday.

The only track on the album that I thought was a bit naff was Peacoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Cheers Kess73.

Picked it up at lunch time listening now to it.

SW's Bowie 'influence' is really present on this. Also parts of Nirvana and Beatles. All good though.

I like it a lot so far (2nd listen only though).

I like Peacoat ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It's streaming online as well. Some lovely guitar tones on it, not sure what to make of it yet. Kind of reminds me of Vatican.... which is a cool album. I do like No. 4 I have to say over Vatican..., and Shangri la took a while to grow on me. I'll still pick this up.
    They did a good version of between the lines on letterman recently too..
    Looking forward to the gig if Scott's voice is on form...

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

For anyone interested. there's a remastered version of Purple coming out very soon on vinyl etc. Follows on from the remaster of Core. Both albums badly needed this, especially Purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Granadino wrote: »
    For anyone interested. there's a remastered version of Purple coming out very soon on vinyl etc. Follows on from the remaster of Core. Both albums badly needed this, especially Purple.

I thought the Core remaster was kinda 'meh' TBH.

Louder drums and that's about all.

• Advertisement

I thought the Core remaster was kinda 'meh' TBH.

Louder drums and that's about all.

I thought it sounded better, in the car anyway. A bit more clarity. I bought the remaster and gave away my original copy, fool that I am. :) Purple in bad need of a remix or remaster, or both. Let's hope the reissue sounds better.

I thought it sounded better, in the car anyway. A bit more clarity. I bought the remaster and gave away my original copy, fool that I am. :) Purple in bad need of a remix or remaster, or both. Let's hope the reissue sounds better.

It's sounds a bit more pristine alright. Purple could do with being cleaned up a bit such a great album.

It's sounds a bit more pristine alright. Purple could do with being cleaned up a bit such a great album.

Checked again, and my original copy of Core survived the great CD cull of 2019. I'll hold onto it for old times sake, as the CD inlay is different to the remaster.
    Purple will arrive in a few weeks. Original master sounds very dated, though some very good songs on it. Tiny Music and no 4 are my favourites I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Don't what the need for a Purple remaster is. Sounds perfectly good to me.

Has anyone listened to the album they released last year?

They're great musicians but they've never really to recreate what they had with Scott in the early years (I'm thinking Talkshow etc.).

Checked again, and my original copy of Core survived the great CD cull of 2019. I'll hold onto it for old times sake, as the CD inlay is different to the remaster.
    Purple will arrive in a few weeks. Original master sounds very dated, though some very good songs on it. Tiny Music and no 4 are my favourites I think.

I love No.4 and Shangri La Dee Da is a great record too.

I don't have the original pressing of Core; I got the album series about nine years ago and then got the Core boxset remaster, gona try get Purple as well.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Don't what the need for a Purple remaster is. Sounds perfectly good to me.

Has anyone listened to the album they released last year?

They're great musicians but they've never really to recreate what they had with Scott in the early years (I'm thinking Talkshow etc.).

I actually really liked the new album; Gutt is a good fit but it's not the same without Scott, I think AIC handled the new singer deal better.

Purple and Tiny always sounded a bit thin to me, it's more the bundles I'm interested in with these remasters TBH.

I'm not too bothered about the extras with the Remasters as there's plenty of stuff on YouTube already. The best of "Thank You" had a good live dvd with some decent stuff on it.
    I was listening to Scott Weiland's first solo album, 12 Bar Blues this morning, and it's held up pretty well all these years later I think.
    Never fully warmed to Shangri La. Days of the Week is a decent tune though.
    New singer is good, very good, but I dunno, I kind of lost interest after the last Weiland STP album, which wasn't that good at all.
    It would be good to see the deLeos hook up with a completely different style of singer under a different name.

I'm not too bothered about the extras with the Remasters as there's plenty of stuff on YouTube already. The best of "Thank You" had a good live dvd with some decent stuff on it.
    I was listening to Scott Weiland's first solo album, 12 Bar Blues this morning, and it's held up pretty well all these years later I think.
    Never fully warmed to Shangri La. Days of the Week is a decent tune though.
    New singer is good, very good, but I dunno, I kind of lost interest after the last Weiland STP album, which wasn't that good at all.
    It would be good to see the deLeos hook up with a completely different style of singer under a different name.

I'm a collector so I have to have it all!

Yeah the Thank You DVD is great, love the live stuff. Better than Alive in the Windy City DVD.

I like Happy as well. Ever check out Army of Anyone? Never liked Talk Show that much.

One thing I don't like about Gutt is his stage presence is more or less a copy of Scott's, I find that a bit odd.

Talk Show feels very much like a lost STP album to me.

The music is gorgeous but the lyrics and singing don't quite reach the heights of Weiland at his best.

Don't want to be too harsh on the singer, those are big boots to fill, but they just don't have the same chemistry. Still think So Long stands up as a good song.

Talk Show feels very much like a lost STP album to me.

The music is gorgeous but the lyrics and singing don't quite reach the heights of Weiland at his best.

Don't want to be too harsh on the singer, those are big boots to fill, but they just don't have the same chemistry. Still think So Long stands up as a good song.

The music is good, but I couldn't warm to the singer overall.

Only for Scott screwed up at the time is most prob would have been the next STP record.

Yup.

And after that they never really sounded like STP again IMO.

• Advertisement

Yup.

And after that they never really sounded like STP again IMO.

Purple is their best work but I like No.4 and Shangri La too, that record is massively underrated IMO.

Purple is possibly my favourite album of all time so no argument there.

The first three albums are all worthwhile.

No. 4 is really stodgy and I found Shagri La forgettable ultimately.

I actually thought their final album had a bit of swing to it again.

But nothing touches the talent on display in their early work.

Remaster of Purple is out today. Had a quick listen via Spotify and iphone headphones earlier, and bass sounds a lot better on this. Guitars and bass seem to be clearer. CD on the way as well. Some cracking songs on it.
    My favourite is Tiny Music, but don't think it needs any treatment.

Advertisement