Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Lads, he's the biggest star in MMA. He's gonna be headlining the card regardless of if it's a title fight or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He'll be main event, they sowed the seeds for the non title main event with the Diaz/Jorge main event for MSG which is one of their biggest events of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rob316 wrote: »
    He'll be main event, they sowed the seeds for the non title main event with the Diaz/Jorge main event for MSG which is one of their biggest events of the year.

Or Conor v Nate years ago. :confused:
    A title fight on every PPV is for promotion purposes. By no means a rule.

Mellor wrote: »
    Or Conor v Nate years ago. :confused:
    A title fight on every PPV is for promotion purposes. By no means a rule.

This would be different though, for the Diaz fight he was originally booked to fight RDA for the LW belt, Conor wanted a fight so they got Diaz in. They never intended months in advance to book a non title fight for McGregor.

This would be different though, for the Diaz fight he was originally booked to fight RDA for the LW belt, Conor wanted a fight so they got Diaz in. They never intended months in advance to book a non title fight for McGregor.

I was referring to McGregor v Diaz II
    Endeavour weren’t the owners for the first one

• Advertisement

How could you not book that as a PPV main event?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Agree Conor vs Justin/Dustin will be main event if it goes ahead dec 14th and will be a 5 rounder.
    But Masvidal vs Diaz is a title fight. It’s the BMF title and Dana even confirmed at yday presser that the belt is currently being made and he will have it at next presser.

How could you not book that as a PPV main event?

I’m not the suggesting there’s a rule in place or they need to plant seeds to book McGregor as a main event.
    Big fight = main event. Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

But Masvidal vs Diaz is a title fight. It’s the BMF title.

So they just invented a new joke title?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nunes vs GDR on UFC 245 but no headliner yet. Makes sense to have a McGregor PPV then as people go wild spending money in December anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

The Nal wrote: »
    Nunes vs GDR on UFC 245 but no headliner yet. Makes sense to have a McGregor PPV then as people go wild spending money in December anyway.
    Holloway v Volkanovski has been rumoured to headline this event for a while now. That doesn't mean it will happen of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Lads, he's the biggest star in MMA. He's gonna be headlining the card regardless of if it's a title fight or not.

They already offered McGregor a co main event fight during the year and he turned it down on that basis.

Guy Person wrote: »
    Holloway v Volkanovski has been rumoured to headline this event for a while now. That doesn't mean it will happen of course.

There will be 3 titles on that card.

Nunes, Holloway...probably Cejudo

Effects wrote: »

Yeah maybe, but this isn’t a sport rooted in traditions like cricket or rugby. And rules can be changed. And there won’t be any joke about the fight it’s about as jokeless a sport out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

There will be 3 titles on that card.

Nunes, Holloway...probably Cejudo

Thats 4 titles. Cejudo is the cringe world champ too remember.

Dana's bringing in an interim cringe world champ belt apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Effects wrote: »

I agree that its a joke. In the sense that it's good humoured, good natured and that people find it fun. Unlike Interim belts, this is a joke that everyone is in on.

They're obviously not taking this seriously. It's a big fight that the fans want to see. They're throwing in a little pizzazz by inventing a ridiculous belt to put on the line.

I, for one, appreciate that the port can still have a little bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

They only took over on July 9th 2016, the original date for McGregor v Diaz 2. It was already re-booked for August 22nd when they became owners with tickets about to go on sale so they weren't going to change it.

The Diaz/Masvidal is the first time they've had a non-title fight headlining a PPV but they're making a new fake belt even for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Any chance Diaz/Masvidal will be for new 165 title?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Any chance Diaz/Masvidal will be for new 165 title?

No, that is for the Bad Motherf****r Belt that is being made up for the fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Don't see McGregor fighting until he is in the clear from that reported investigation that was in the New York Times.

Ufc will not take the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

ricero wrote: »
    Don't see McGregor fighting until he is in the clear from that reported investigation that was in the New York Times.

For all we know he could be in the clear.

UFC will throw him in the cage as main event as soon as they can.

The magic is gone for me, I was one of the ones saying his every move was a master publicity stunt a few years ago. I was wrong.

The reality is, If a fight happens I probably will watch it to see how he gets on. Even though there’s zero doubt about his character now for people who previously were fans - the numbers will add up and the ufc, McGregor and his likely opponents know this.

I wonder how would Japans best sumo wrestler fare if they entered ufc and took on Stipe for the heavyweight belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I know a fella with a mcgregor tattoo on his leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

I wonder how would Japans best sumo wrestler fare if they entered ufc and took on Stipe for the heavyweight belt.

Please see exhibit 1:

https://youtu.be/nQtemIenEsA

dulux99 wrote: »
    Can't see McGregor giving in on this main event issue, even though a 3 round fight would massively suit him at this point.

I don’t think it’s necessarily about top billing. But being co-main prob means his PPV share takes a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

ricero wrote: »

He’s in the clear for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

BDI wrote: »
    I know a fella with a mcgregor tattoo on his leg.

Tell us more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Holloway fighting Dec 14th so McGregor won't be then.
    His little cryptic message about Dec 14th in Dublin was just complete bulls*it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Tell us more

Sound fella. Got caught up in the mcgregor buzz before he went from being a bit of a buzz to being a sour, classless, new money hero of dog fighters and prison lifers.
    I havnt really got the heart to ask him if he regrets it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Still Ill

BDI wrote: »
    Sound fella. Got caught up in the mcgregor buzz before he went from being a bit of a buzz to being a sour, classless, new money hero of dog fighters and prison lifers.
    I havnt really got the heart to ask him if he regrets it.

Ah, there's always trousers. No harm.

Advertisement