Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    The performance was great! They should have skipped the speeches, jumped straight into the performance (at 6pm) with no introduction and just had a few lines of voiceover in the first few mins to set the scene.

I agree- the show was really good, loved all the pyrotechnics. Should make for some dramatic photos to promote the events. Picked up a brochure, am interested in seeing Margaret Atwood and taking part in some of the family events. Overall a positive start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Anyone wondering why all the shots in the TV ad feature a pissing wet Galway?
    Surely they could have taken some footage on a few sunny days that would look better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Didn't want to be done for false advertising? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Surely they could have taken some footage on a few sunny days that would look better?

It was probably hard to schedule filming in advance of the 6 or 7 sunny days we've had over the last "summer"?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

15 hours into ECOC2020 and it's a damp squib

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

Events begin on 1st Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

wily minx wrote: »
    Events begin on 1st Feb.

Yup - read all about it here: https://galway2020.ie/en/programme/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

wily minx wrote: »
    Events begin on 1st Feb.

Any sechudle available or they winging it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

This is probably the first time though that a city of culture hasn't celebrated becoming the city of culture on New Years Eve

I demand european culture. Now! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

flazio wrote: »
    This is probably the first time though that a city of culture hasn't celebrated becoming the city of culture on New Years Eve

Was just thinking that myself, Limerick had their problems but they still put on a big parade for New Years Day. The Feb 1st start time for Galway is likely an indication of how far behind they are because I would say it is customary to put on an event the day the status of city of culture begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

The Rejika 2020 events also start on 1st Feb according to the google. I think that's always been the plan. Although I appreciate that doesn't fit the begrudgery narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

They force you to give an email address to download the programme..? :confused:

And the programme seems to be "This event will be on some time in March, maybe.."

Download the programme from here

https://galway2020.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Galway-2020-Programme.pdf

Or see attached

Download the programme from here

https://galway2020.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Galway-2020-Programme.pdf

Can't attach as its 8mb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

There is a big opening ceremony planned for 8th Feb in the City , with events in each town in the week leading up to the 8th. I’m taking part in it and from my experience it seems to be really well organised, large group of professionals teaching us and great enthusiasm all round. It’s not too late to be involved if you’d like, see https://galway2020.ie/en/cast/

Pray for dry weather on the 8th Feb!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Front of the advertiser says celebrations started on the 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The official programme launch of the ECOC events was in Sept 2019.

2020 celebrations started on 1 Jan 2020.

The ECOC programme of events starts in Feb 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The lit up art display for March sounds very interesting! Looking forward to that.

There is a big opening ceremony planned for 8th Feb in the City

Just realised the general election has been scheduled for the same day as the big opening ceremony. That's going to really limit the media exposure. Bad form Leo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Just realised the general election has been scheduled for the same day as the big opening ceremony. That's going to really limit the media exposure. Bad form Leo!
    Will there be road closures in the area? If so, how will this impact polling at Claddagh NS?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Wrong thread! Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

flynnlives wrote: »
    How many houses do the Crowes lease back to the Council?
    How much are they making each month from the State via HAP and other state subsidies?

As for the bypass himself and his brother have been sitting on the council for the majority of the last 20 years and have done nothing about it.
    Almost half of that time FF where in power. They even had Frank Fahey as a junior minister but did **** all. Crowe seems to have also discovered Facebook ads and is spending a decent amount on sponsored posts. The only candidate i can see that is paying for ads on Facebook.

More accurately they didn't have the pull within FF do get Galway related stuff on the table.
    o'cuiv is the only one in FF with any pull but hes happy fixing the roads in West Connemara and saying a cuplea focal. Micheal martin is no fan anyways so if FF are returned o'cuiv might be sidelined.
    So a vote for FF is a waste.

The same goes for Naughton and Kyne in FG. What have they delivered for Galway?
    Hildigarde and especially Kyne have been ghosts the last 4 years.
    These two have done nothing for Galway in last 4 years, so another wasted vote.

Grealish is an opportunist gombeen happy out in oranmore.

Labour seem to have collapsed in galway city. Micheal D's daughter was supposed to take the reigns but has done nothing.
    Mcnellis seems to be a token effort by running.

The shinners ive no time for.

Cubbard seems to be the only local politician that appears to want to get stuff done and improves peoples lot. His social media game is top notch.

Social Democrats will get my No.1. Only party with policies that appeal to me. 2nd maybe to the greens.
    Im surprised the SocDems arent doing better in the city as i had assumed we are a hip and progressive place. lol

This country/City doesn't need another landlord/auctioneer/publican/teacher in Dail Eireann. Nothing changes. Can people accept this and actually think about their vote?

For the GE20 thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

For the GE20 thread?

****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

flynnlives wrote: »
    ****e!

Get mixed up myself when I open the threads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

City Council planning €2.5m bailout for Galway 2020

https://connachttribune.ie/city-council-planning-e2-5m-bailout-for-galway-2020/

I, for one, am shocked...

Ratepayers have forked out €6m for ECOC
    Now a further €2.5m going in
    https://connachttribune.ie/city-council-planning-e2-5m-bailout-for-galway-2020/

Businesses must be happy to pay

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Will there be road closures in the area? If so, how will this impact polling at Claddagh NS?

Good question... all that's said so far is "Traffic restrictions will be in place and will be advertised locally."

Good question... all that's said so far is "Traffic restrictions will be in place and will be advertised locally."

Actually there will be widespread road closures in the area as outlined here;
    https://www.galwaycity.ie/news/1540/59/TEMPORARY-CLOSING-OF-ROADS-Roads-Act-1993-Section-75-Roads-Regulations-1994-Article-12-Notice-of-Decision-Various-locations/d,News%20Detail

With the following allowances for voters....

"Please note from 1500 hours to 2100 hours on Saturday, 8th February, the following will be in place to facilitate access to St Nicholas National School Claddagh Polling Station.

Pedestrian access will be maintained from all directions for voters. Vehicular access will be maintained for voters via

1) Fairhill Road Lower, St. Dominick’s Road

2) Fr. Burke Road, School Avenue, St. Dominick’s Road

Short term parking will be available for voters."

• Advertisement

Interesting interview between DriveTime presenter and Galway 2020 agents at the moment. About Funding. Very Probing and Good interview!

Advertisement